Food Science B

Makeithappen
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by Makeithappen »

Yeah, if your viscometer works with a certain size, there should be nothing wrong with that.
Invites: 2nd in Dynamic Planet and Water Quality
6th place Food Science Solon Invite
Regionals: 4th place Food Science, 3rd place Dynamic Planet 2nd place Water Qualtiy
thisusernameistaken
Division: C
State: MN

Post by thisusernameistaken »

Oops. Oh well. The whole event was thrown out anyway because the person running it was cheating.
Irondale
Makeithappen

Post by Makeithappen »

How did that happen?
Regionals: 4th place Food Science, 3rd place Dynamic Planet 2nd place Water Qualtiy
thisusernameistaken

Makeithappen wrote:How did that happen?
She told her teams the answers.
Irondale
Makeithappen

Post by Makeithappen »

Wow, was just that team DQ, or was there no meadling at all?
thisusernameistaken

A whole bunch of other teams showed up at the wrong time causing us to not get done. So they DQed at least 4 teams from the event and just had individual medals.
Irondale
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

It sounds like they (rightly) threw the entire event out. Leaking answers invalidates events. I hope this lady is not allowed to supervise events anymore.

EDIT: They didn't? Man...
thisusernameistaken

Me too. She was psychotic, I mean unprofessional.
Irondale
thisusernameistaken

Me too. She was psychotic, I mean unprofessional.
Skink wrote:It sounds like they (rightly) threw the entire event out. Leaking answers invalidates events.
They didn't have event count towards overall scores, but there were still medals.
Irondale
rehabnurse
State: MI

Post by rehabnurse »

I am having a very hard time with the viscosity tester. I am a new coach on a new team (I did coach in elementary and did very well, but this is much harder for me as the subject is not my area of expertise!). I have no assistant coach and no one to bounce ideas of questions off of. We are down to the wire and still haven't finished a viscotester that works. I really feel like I've failed my two students. No one has coached this event in years and there was no real previous notes or things to go off of. I had to start from scratch with a subject I know nothing about.

I've tried several times to get a viscotester to work, with poor results. I've tried the old plastic cup with a 16 penny nail. I tried using two separate drill sizes to make two separate cups for lower/higher viscosity liquids. The bigger hole was still not quite big enough. We've gone from measuring to break of flow, to measuring the liquid from point A to point B, which has produced better results (though still not good enough). We are just a couple weeks away from our competition and we still haven't nailed down this viscosity testing device.

Besides the whole building of a viscotester problem, I am very confused on how to calculate the cP to plot the result? If we are timing the liquid in seconds, how does one come up with cP? By using the known values in the rules? I've searched and searched to no avail. I know I probably sound really dumb, but I seriously cannot figure this out and I am running out of time. Can someone help me out with how to figure out the cP or how to correctly plot the data on a graph? Or point me in the right direction? I've seen some good powerpoints on this, but none tell you how to figure this out and properly plot your data. For example, if I get 20 seconds for a liquid, how do I properly plot it? I hope this makes sense!

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Return to “2013 Lab Events”