Write It Do It B/C

Allinea
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Allinea »

I couldn't agree more with the whole post-mortem thing. When I get back to the team room after writing, and when a whiteboard is available, I'll make a few quick sketches of what the build looked like. It helps me remember mistakes I might have made, and then helps my partner tell me what I wrote wrong. It also helps give us a little bit of perspective on how much we did right and what worked.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
Gemma W
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

Only problem with that is that I always forget half the structure after I'm finished, and my partner is usually too stressed to remember it all, and it just makes her more nervous to talk about it again. So usually we only do that quickly. When we're just practicing though, we always go over it very carefully afterwards, and then I get yelled at for not being specific enough :)
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
Allinea

Post by Allinea »

Gemma W wrote:Only problem with that is that I always forget half the structure after I'm finished, and my partner is usually too stressed to remember it all, and it just makes her more nervous to talk about it again. So usually we only do that quickly. When we're just practicing though, we always go over it very carefully afterwards, and then I get yelled at for not being specific enough :)
I also don't wait for my partner once I'm done. I know, I'm cruel :lol: That helps in terms of remembering it. I guess each team has its own style. In terms of being specific, I try to make sure there aren't multiples of one object, and if there are quickly find unique things about them to differentiate them. In terms of placement, it's just making sure you include all the little details, like tilt angle , tilt direction, pointy/blunt, and items in the general vicinity.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
314chocolate
State: WI

Post by 314chocolate »

As far as materials go, our regionals is pretty good with using different things like legos, pipecleaners, foam, ect. But our sate competition is done by the same people each year using the same types of materials. Although, they do get a malicious enjoyment it seems like from making something that is nigh impossible to recreate, let alone describe.
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

This is a kind of random question but how long has this event been around? I know it's been here since at least 2007 but when I tried to check the old forum I just got lost in the maze of random forums/topics. What are the chances that it'll get replaced sometime in the next 2-3 years? <-I know it'll be speculation but I'm curious :DD

thanks!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

This event for all intents and purposes doesn't rotate out. They probably didn't have event-by-event topics that many years ago on the forums. Looking at the event history chart, WIDI has been around since 1989 except being B only in '05 and '06. It's been BC every other season since 1989. It's here to stay.
Gemma W
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

After all, communication is an important scientific skill. Anyway, what would they switch it out with? Nothing else has a similar idea.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
DazzlingMer

Post by DazzlingMer »

314chocolate wrote:As far as materials go, our regionals is pretty good with using different things like legos, pipecleaners, foam, ect. But our sate competition is done by the same people each year using the same types of materials. Although, they do get a malicious enjoyment it seems like from making something that is nigh impossible to recreate, let alone describe.
Ha, the Boyceville setup was bead this year. Not on a string, like laid out on a table beads. Everything had a precise angle too. Glad our coach let the other duo from our team do it.

One thing that irks me is that our coach decided to make two WIDI duos this year since my sister and I have done it for the past two years. He said we would switch off every tournament, but I think he failed to realize that by having the other duo do it a Boyceville that the next time would be regionals, which would make my duo to be the one that should do it at state then, probably regardless of how we place.
The EARTH without ART is just EH...
Bungee [13/x/x/x/6]
WIDI [2/x/6/2/2]
Circuit Lab [x/x/x/5/x]

State Champ. Forestry 2012
Regional Champ. Forestry 2013
State Runner-Up Forestry 2013
Regional Runner-up WIDI 2014
State Runner-up WIDI 2014
sjwon3789
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

So basically, the rule states what we write must be something from keyboards, right?

So would arrows be allowed because if you use < and -, then that's basically an arrow...
Or maybe 1 and backwards 1? (if backyard 1 is allowed?)

Because sometimes, there's times when it's better to state some information earlier on than later...
I was wandering what your opinion would be about this.
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

sjwon3789 wrote:So basically, the rule states what we write must be something from keyboards, right?

So would arrows be allowed because if you use < and -, then that's basically an arrow...
Or maybe 1 and backwards 1? (if backyard 1 is allowed?)

Because sometimes, there's times when it's better to state some information earlier on than later...
I was wandering what your opinion would be about this.
I would not do anything that breaks the spirit of the rules, which is to give directions solely in written English to guide your partner to build the object. There should be no need to use arrows. If you want to refer to earlier steps, you should number your steps and then refer to them as "Step 1" or "Step 2" later on.

I do not think a backwards 1 would be allowed or useful. It is not on a standard keyboard.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”