hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by hscmom »

Gemma W wrote:After all, communication is an important scientific skill.
Ah, but not nearly as important as making weird structures out of foam balls, push pins, paper clips, Legos, pipe cleaners, and paper cups, right?

;)
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Gemma W
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Gemma W »

hscmom wrote:
Gemma W wrote:After all, communication is an important scientific skill.
Ah, but not nearly as important as making weird structures out of foam balls, push pins, paper clips, Legos, pipe cleaners, and paper cups, right?

;)
Oh yes, of course, how could I be so silly?
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
Cade
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Cade »

I usually practice with legos, rulers, strings, and weird things. My partner once wrote 30 steps for me to do. I'd say the average one I have to do is 20ish steps. At invitationals, all that was on my desk was a styrofoam cup, 2 pipe cleaners, and 4 beads. With only 7 steps, It was easier than the one I did on my first day of practice. I have never been to regionals before, so can someone tell me what the write it do it is like there?
HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
sjwon3789
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

At my location, it was basically the picture available in Wiki ->Test. Not EXACTLY but just some version of it. It was basically all legos with paper clips and beads within it.

What it looked like is, there was a rectangle and another rectangle on top of it (on the edges). It was easy but I messed up...My friend was capable of finishing the first rectangle but not the other one. Surprisingly, we placed 3rd.

Um...are you sure your allowed to use rulers?
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
Cade
State: MI

Post by Cade »

sjwon3789 wrote:At my location, it was basically the picture available in Wiki ->Test. Not EXACTLY but just some version of it. It was basically all legos with paper clips and beads within it.

What it looked like is, there was a rectangle and another rectangle on top of it (on the edges). It was easy but I messed up...My friend was capable of finishing the first rectangle but not the other one. Surprisingly, we placed 3rd.

Um...are you sure your allowed to use rulers?
I don't use one as a tool or anything, unless my coach gives us one for the thing I have to build. I like them, because if there is a paper clip somewhere on the ruler or something, my partner will write "put paper clip at the 4 inch mark." It's easy. The one at invitationals didn't have a ruler.
HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
Cjkowalcz
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Cjkowalcz »

Does anybody have any helpful "terms" in explaining things? Things to help with direction or maybe the placement of an object. Thanks :shock:
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))
Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

Cjkowalcz wrote:Does anybody have any helpful "terms" in explaining things? Things to help with direction or maybe the placement of an object. Thanks :shock:
Were you just thrown into this event? I'd like to first say that each team develops their own system through PRACTICE. If you were just thrown into it, I'll give a brief view of what my partner and I define things as.

It depends on what object you are needing to explain. For Legos, my partner and I generally describe pieces by studs (1x4, 2x2, etc), color and whether it is a brick or plate. In general, my partner and I depend heavily on colors to separate objects, followed in importance by orientation.

For directions, consider using the longest side as your reference point. From there, is it parallel to you (your shoulders?), is it perpendicular to you? If not, what angle is it forming and to what direction is it pointing? Your upper left, upper right, etc? Sloped objects are either sloping up away from you like this: / or are sloping down away from you like this: \ .

Orientation also plays a big role in object placement. What direction is something pointing at? What part of the object is first, or being connected to by other objects? Is it the pointy end, the rounded end, the rough end? Is it the top connector on a Knex piece?

We also depend on a clock system for circular orientations, and corners for square/rectangular things. Corners would also apply to triangles, but I haven't needed to write about triangles yet.

As I wrote above, it all depends on what your partner will be able to understand. Write clearly and good luck.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
Cjkowalcz

Post by Cjkowalcz »

Thanks!! We got third at regionals! I like the idea of the "parallel" explanation.
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))
Benlafin
State: FL

Post by Benlafin »

Just to make a note:
I finished Gold in my regionals this year for write it do it. We never practiced before. I honestly believe the most important thing to have is a "writer" who is great with communication and writing. And they have to be fast. My "do-er" wasn't exactly great at comprehending things, but as long as I wrote everything well, and did it as fast as possible, we were okay.
My point is, I think there's more to this event than practice. Although, I'm sure it helps to understand the way your other partner works. In any case, practice shouldn't be noted as the #1 key to this event. In my opinion.
isaysroar

Post by isaysroar »

The best thing to do for the write it do it event for science olympiad event is to partner up with some that you share a common language with or enjoy being around with. Even without any practicing, as long as your writer has a common language, write neat but fast, and is very specific to detail your all set.

I know my brother and I practiced once getting the model all backwards, and going to an invitational. We placed 5th out of 30 some schools. However, we managed this with discussion over any confusing instructions used in the previous practiced and the common language. I was fortunate enough to have my brother with me this year. Without him, we couldn't have practice even more and placed 2nd at regionals.

The important point is pick someone you're friends with or communicate well with and you'll be all set.
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

Return to “2013 Lab Events”