Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Chem Lab C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Chem Lab C

Chem Lab Wiki
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
[[]]
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by [[]] »

Does anyone know what the topic for this year is?
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

Periodicity and equilibrium.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

Out of curiosity to those who are on the National Committees, has orgo ever been a possibility? I really love orgo and I would love to see it as a chem lab topic (preferably in the next two years!)
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

You're not asking me, but I suspect organic will not be a topic considering it's only covered cursorily in high school level courses and less so in AP. Any lab work an event supervisor could have you do at competition would fall under the umbrella of some other topic since you will not go to an SO competition for organic synthesis. All else notwithstanding, it's impractical to ask folks to supervise and takes too long for a 50min event. You have plenty of time for organic in the future.
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

That is very saddening :(

For labs, I do agree that synthesis are just maybe out of the question.. however we could pair it with something else with a doable lab, like acid base or electrochem. I just think that chem lab has turned more into a speed/accuracy test than a test of knowledge, and using organic chem might help make the event more challenging.
unclefrank35
State: PA

Post by unclefrank35 »

my first year doing c division. anyone have some advice as to what websites could be of help in preparing for chem lab? anything would be appreciated
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Almost anything related to AP Chem is useful as a study material for Chem Lab. Needless to say, there are a lot of websites online for AP Chem help. You want to mainly focus on equilibrium and periodicity, as those are the two main topics. However, I suggest having had at least some sort of chemistry class in high school before competing in this event. Ideally, you would have two people who have taken or are currently taking AP Chem.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:However, I suggest having had at least some sort of chemistry class in high school before competing in this event. Ideally, you would have two people who have taken or are currently taking AP Chem.
This is the point I wanted to emphasize. If what you mean by your first year in C you mean you're in ninth grade (you could be a senior for all I know), I'd strongly advisr against this event for the above reasons. Even when taking AP concurrently and being on top of things, the event will feel competitive. That said, if you've never taken chemistry, there is almost too much catch-up to warrant the trouble. Equilibrium also is typically not covered in any way until AP.
unclefrank35

Post by unclefrank35 »

Skink wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:However, I suggest having had at least some sort of chemistry class in high school before competing in this event. Ideally, you would have two people who have taken or are currently taking AP Chem.
This is the point I wanted to emphasize. If what you mean by your first year in C you mean you're in ninth grade (you could be a senior for all I know), I'd strongly advisr against this event for the above reasons. Even when taking AP concurrently and being on top of things, the event will feel competitive. That said, if you've never taken chemistry, there is almost too much catch-up to warrant the trouble. Equilibrium also is typically not covered in any way until AP.
im a sophmore this year, and i did have a chemistry course last year, and im still studying chemistry this year. no one else wanted to do it, so im taking one for the team.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”