Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Chem Lab C

Postby Jim_R » August 23rd, 2012, 7:47 am

Discussion for Chem Lab C

Chem Lab Wiki
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

[[]]
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Chem Lab C

Postby [[]] » September 25th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Does anyone know what the topic for this year is?

chia
State: IL

Postby chia » September 25th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Periodicity and equilibrium.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

XXGeneration
State: NJ

Postby XXGeneration » October 17th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Out of curiosity to those who are on the National Committees, has orgo ever been a possibility? I really love orgo and I would love to see it as a chem lab topic (preferably in the next two years!)

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » October 17th, 2012, 9:20 pm

You're not asking me, but I suspect organic will not be a topic considering it's only covered cursorily in high school level courses and less so in AP. Any lab work an event supervisor could have you do at competition would fall under the umbrella of some other topic since you will not go to an SO competition for organic synthesis. All else notwithstanding, it's impractical to ask folks to supervise and takes too long for a 50min event. You have plenty of time for organic in the future.

XXGeneration
State: NJ

Postby XXGeneration » October 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm

That is very saddening :(

For labs, I do agree that synthesis are just maybe out of the question.. however we could pair it with something else with a doable lab, like acid base or electrochem. I just think that chem lab has turned more into a speed/accuracy test than a test of knowledge, and using organic chem might help make the event more challenging.

unclefrank35
State: PA

Postby unclefrank35 » October 24th, 2012, 11:50 am

my first year doing c division. anyone have some advice as to what websites could be of help in preparing for chem lab? anything would be appreciated

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » October 24th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Almost anything related to AP Chem is useful as a study material for Chem Lab. Needless to say, there are a lot of websites online for AP Chem help. You want to mainly focus on equilibrium and periodicity, as those are the two main topics. However, I suggest having had at least some sort of chemistry class in high school before competing in this event. Ideally, you would have two people who have taken or are currently taking AP Chem.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » October 24th, 2012, 2:00 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:However, I suggest having had at least some sort of chemistry class in high school before competing in this event. Ideally, you would have two people who have taken or are currently taking AP Chem.

This is the point I wanted to emphasize. If what you mean by your first year in C you mean you're in ninth grade (you could be a senior for all I know), I'd strongly advisr against this event for the above reasons. Even when taking AP concurrently and being on top of things, the event will feel competitive. That said, if you've never taken chemistry, there is almost too much catch-up to warrant the trouble. Equilibrium also is typically not covered in any way until AP.

unclefrank35
State: PA

Postby unclefrank35 » October 25th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Skink wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:However, I suggest having had at least some sort of chemistry class in high school before competing in this event. Ideally, you would have two people who have taken or are currently taking AP Chem.

This is the point I wanted to emphasize. If what you mean by your first year in C you mean you're in ninth grade (you could be a senior for all I know), I'd strongly advisr against this event for the above reasons. Even when taking AP concurrently and being on top of things, the event will feel competitive. That said, if you've never taken chemistry, there is almost too much catch-up to warrant the trouble. Equilibrium also is typically not covered in any way until AP.

im a sophmore this year, and i did have a chemistry course last year, and im still studying chemistry this year. no one else wanted to do it, so im taking one for the team.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » October 25th, 2012, 12:33 pm

As long as you have some base in chemistry, it might be feasible for you to learn equilibrium. Periodicity shouldn't be too difficult, as it is mainly trends like atomic and ionic radius, electronegativity, activity, etc. Equilibrium will be decently harder, but there are probably several websites that can help you learn it. The concept of equilibrium is not very difficult, but calculations can be confusing if you haven't seen them before.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

mbdavis95
State: WA

Postby mbdavis95 » October 28th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Are there any websites anyone can link that have more direct information about periodicity or equilibrium than, for example, a Wikipedia article? Also, does anyone know what types of equilibrium I should be focusing on? There are 11 different types of equilibrium from chemistry, so it would be really helpful to have a starting point. :?
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
-Farengar Secret-Fire: Skyrim

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » October 29th, 2012, 8:42 am

I don't have a copy of the C rules, so I don't know how specifically they tell you about these topics (or if just the topics themselves), but, for equilibria, I'd guess focus on big K, acid-base equilibria, and the solubility product. If you're taking chemsitry now, to get a nice introduction, see if near the back there's an equilibrium chapter. Even in a high school level book, you could find one (they just won't cover it). There are plenty of college lecture notes and whatnot online that will go into enough detail and run through as many calculations as a textbook. If you need a textbook, getting one isn't hard.
I'd also guess it would behoove you to know how basic equations like how to convert K to Gibbs free energy and then tell whether or not the process is spontaneous at that temperature.
As far as periodicity goes, you learn the basics in a high school level class. For more, either get a college level text or an inorganic text (too much, if you ask me) to go into more detail. For online, again, look for college notes. It's all out there.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention redox equilibria. Basically, a lot of what's covered second semester in AP is a safe bet. Remember to frame your studying in terms of what lab work they can make you do, though! I'm not sure offhand what they could make you do for periodicity other than maybe build (or use) an activity series. Report back if you come up with anything on that one.

emmamcgorray
State: OH

Postby emmamcgorray » December 1st, 2012, 2:51 pm

There's some review of periodic trends (periodicity) on http://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/periodic-table-trends-bonding

fanjiatian
State: -

Postby fanjiatian » December 10th, 2012, 11:57 am

How will the actual lab activities be scored?
I haven't found any rubrics or anything online.

Will we have to write a lab report? What kinds of questions can be asked?

Return to “2013 Lab Events”