Chem Lab C

scm424
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Chem Lab C

Postby scm424 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 am

3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m wrote:Reading the rules yesterday, I noticed that the two topics are periodicity and equilibrium. Does anyone else think these seem like very narrow topics?

Periodicity is a little narrow, but there are still a ton of labs that can be done with it. There is so much you can do with equilibrium: gases, acids and bases, solubility, complex ions, redox, etc.

Arthur
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby Arthur » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 pm

From the PA SE test, does anyone remember the details of the 32 point problem near the end? I think it was number 28. What I remember of it was 1.0 M NaOH was tirated with 18.0 mL of acetic acid. They gave us a titration curve where the equivalence point was ~8 pH at 20.0 mL of NaOH. Is there anything I'm missing from this problem? They were asking for the Ka value. Can anyone give me the answer so that I can check mine?
Last edited by Arthur on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

gangsta_duck
State: NV

Postby gangsta_duck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am

Not sure if anyone will find this helpful, but our lab at state consisted of two labs (one on periodicity sorta and one on equilibrium).

For the periodicity, it gave the solubility products for four different alkali earth hydroxides, then asked us to find the pH of all the solutions. For the lab portion, we got an unknown alkali earth hydroxide, and had to predict which of the four hydroxides it was.

For the equilibrium, we were given the Ka values of three weak acids. We then had to find the pH after 50.0 mL of .0500 M acid was neutralized with .0500 M NaOH. Then, we had to measure the pH of an unknown salt solution and determine which weak acid was neutralized.
~Duck

2013 State Competition Results:
Designer Genes: 1st
Technical Problem Solving: 3rd
Chemistry Lab: 5th
Dynamic Planet: 6th
Overall (team): 2nd

Good Luck!

SimplyNeedLogic
State: CA

Postby SimplyNeedLogic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 am

What did you guys put on the Cheat Sheet?

Dragonshark
State: WI

Postby Dragonshark » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm going to upload an equilibrium practice test, with answer key and explanations, to the Test Exchange soon. It contains questions from USNCO (Chemistry Olympiad) exams, so they'll likely be more difficult than the actual tests for this event, but it's good practice nevertheless.
Nathan Hale HS SciO
2011 - Regionals/States: Anat/Phys [1/1!!!], Chem Lab [1/2]
2012 - Regionals/States: Chem Lab [1/6 >_< ], Forensics [2/1!!!], Protein [1/2], Team [9]
2013 - A/P, Chem Lab, 4N6, TPS, C/A (trial)

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 am

That'll be good. There never seems to be a lot of Chem Lab resources on the wiki, so it's great you're working to improve that.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Dragonshark
State: WI

Postby Dragonshark » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm going to try and get the test ready either today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow). Answer explanations will come after it's uploaded, but it'll still be this week, so teams who are competing at States this Saturday will have access to it.
Edit: It's finally done and uploaded. Answer explanations will come later.
Edit 2: Answer explanations will have to take awhile, since they're taking me forever to type out.
Nathan Hale HS SciO
2011 - Regionals/States: Anat/Phys [1/1!!!], Chem Lab [1/2]
2012 - Regionals/States: Chem Lab [1/6 >_< ], Forensics [2/1!!!], Protein [1/2], Team [9]
2013 - A/P, Chem Lab, 4N6, TPS, C/A (trial)

Slarik
Location: In my AP Bio book, wishing I could go practice my trumpet

Postby Slarik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 pm

SimplyNeedLogic wrote:What did you guys put on the Cheat Sheet?

AP equations and constants and a periodic table.
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.

Mathc314
State: -

Postby Mathc314 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 pm

So, how many notes pages are you guys bringing for nationals? Reading through the forum it seems like most people used only one, but earlier in the year I got an official rules clarification that two pages were allowed (strangely, they have not put this online under Chem Lab FAQs).
Also, how many other people interpreted the rules as only allowing one page of notes per team; I just want to see how much oppostion I can expect at nationals if I bring two pages. :)

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:13 pm

I think the clarification refers to the fact that you can print a page on the front and a page on the back, thus giving you two pages of information. Since the rules state you can only bring one, I doubt you will get away with two separate pieces of paper at nationals.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Mathc314
State: -

Postby Mathc314 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:06 am

Actually, no. The clarification states that (and I will quote directly from their official response) "Each student may bring one 8.5" x 11" two-sided page of notes which means that if 2 students compete as a team, the team may have two 8.5" x 11" two-sided page of notes."
I just want to let everyone know about this clarification, even though they have not posted it online, so that you guys won't have to cram everything onto one page if that is what you are doing, and so I won't be the only team at nationals with two pages awkwardly trying to defend myself... :)
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 am

Huh. It does appear that way. Well then, I guess go ahead with your two sheets, although my personal opinion is that Chem Lab shouldn't really allow ANY note sheets, haha.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

XXGeneration
State: NJ

Postby XXGeneration » Sat May 18, 2013 8:32 pm

That was honestly one of the beat Chem Lab tests I've taken ever (nationals).

Wanttoget1st
Division: B
State: IL

Postby Wanttoget1st » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:16 am

Does anyone know what they mean by Chem Reactions as one of the subtopics for Chem Lab? They said equilibrium and chem reactions/stoichiometry as the sub-topics for this year. Do they mean single&double replacement, Combustion, Decomposition, Aqueous, Solvent, etc. types of reactions? Thanks!

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:44 am

I think by that they just mean understanding how chemical reactions work, and how to use stoichiometry to perform calculations relating to those reactions. Knowing the types of reactions would also be helpful to know, but that's probably not quite as important. Basically, though, anything that could be considered basic chemistry is testable, as all other topics build off of that.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Return to “2013 Lab Events”