Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C

Post by harryk » February 20th, 2013, 12:31 pm

joeyjoejoe wrote:I know the rules state that the test is to be taken by the team but does that imply that the team takes the test together or both member get their own test?
Either way, the team takes a test.
The team will be given one test to work on together. Though the rules don't state that there can't be two tests, so I suppose an event supervisor could do that(could be a interesting twist), but I've never heard of that happening before.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

Jdogg
State: PA

Post by Jdogg » February 20th, 2013, 6:11 pm

harryk wrote:
joeyjoejoe wrote:I know the rules state that the test is to be taken by the team but does that imply that the team takes the test together or both member get their own test?
Either way, the team takes a test.
The team will be given one test to work on together. Though the rules don't state that there can't be two tests, so I suppose an event supervisor could do that(could be a interesting twist), but I've never heard of that happening before.
I mean usually if a event supervisor wants to have each member have to do problems individually. They give a test which is absurdly long and needs to be split up between the partners to finish it, which i've personally experienced and think is perfectly fine as long as you can still consult/communicate with your partner on problems. I would say if each member gets there own test, then first off it's two tests not "a" test and second off It wouldn't be a team (it would be individual effort). So from my experience I would say yes they can give you each "essential" you own problems by making the test so long that you need to split it. Then again, sometimes things are run differently and event supervisors might have reasons to run the event differently due to time constraints and other problems.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

joeyjoejoe
Division: C
State: GA

Post by joeyjoejoe » February 21st, 2013, 5:26 pm

Probably a dumb question but for those who have competed in this event before, were you just able to use a "cheat sheet" to predict your time? We've gone to the trouble of making a spreadsheet containing our predicted times but aren't 100% sure that the rules don't expect us to calculate the time.

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven » February 21st, 2013, 5:29 pm

joeyjoejoe wrote:Probably a dumb question but for those who have competed in this event before, were you just able to use a "cheat sheet" to predict your time? We've gone to the trouble of making a spreadsheet containing our predicted times but aren't 100% sure that the rules don't expect us to calculate the time.
Yes, but it has to be impounded with your device and reference materials for the test. It says in the rules anything needed for either portion needs to be impounded.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

hmcginny
State: PA

Post by hmcginny » February 21st, 2013, 6:35 pm

It also says that "tools and track need not be impounded". In fact, the rules only reference that vehicles and materials to adjust them need to be impounded. Then again, at invitationals that I've been to they have made us impound everything (track, car, tools, reference materials/binder, calculator), so I would expect it to be run that way in the future. I did see a team allowed to bring in a non-impounded tool, but that was only after they pointed out the line in the rules to the supervisors.

The part I don't completely understand is making competitors impound binders and calculators. Calculators seem particularly annoying because nearly all competitors would have events that require calculators before they have maglev, so they would have to get a second calculator to impound on top of the one they're already carrying around. If they're requiring impounded calculators for this and thermo (which they are apparently after an FAQ), I potentially need to use 4 different calculators during one competition (1 impounded for each, 1 graphing, 1 non-graphing for other events that require them). That seems to be unnecessarily difficult.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » February 22nd, 2013, 4:57 am

The rules do NOT say "anything needed for either portion needs to be impounded"

Just because an ES at an invitational chose to violate the rules/make up their own rules, or didn't bother to read and understand the rules doesn't change what the rules ARE.
Pet peeve, here. The rules apply as much to ESs as they do to competitors. ES's expect competitors to follow the rules. Competitors have a right to expect the ESs to follow the rules.

The issues with multiple calculators needed that hmcginny raises is not a problem w/ the rules, it's a problem that only exists with free-lancing ESs.

So, know the rules. Have a copy with you. Check in/impound what the rules say you have to. If the ES asks for something different/more, show them the rules. If that doesn't resolve the problem (and it should), take it to whoever is running the tournament, ask them to request the ES to please follow the rules.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven » February 22nd, 2013, 8:08 am

Im sorry, i misspoke. Im not sure where I read that and thought it was for maglev, my appologies for the confusion

Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav » February 22nd, 2013, 4:11 pm

Balsa Man wrote:The rules do NOT say "anything needed for either portion needs to be impounded"

Just because an ES at an invitational chose to violate the rules/make up their own rules, or didn't bother to read and understand the rules doesn't change what the rules ARE.
Pet peeve, here. The rules apply as much to ESs as they do to competitors. ES's expect competitors to follow the rules. Competitors have a right to expect the ESs to follow the rules.

The issues with multiple calculators needed that hmcginny raises is not a problem w/ the rules, it's a problem that only exists with free-lancing ESs.

So, know the rules. Have a copy with you. Check in/impound what the rules say you have to. If the ES asks for something different/more, show them the rules. If that doesn't resolve the problem (and it should), take it to whoever is running the tournament, ask them to request the ES to please follow the rules.
Hear, Hear. To add one important piece: if you have to go over the supervisor's head, do it soonest. If you wait too long, it may be too late. I have been at tournaments where a policy in violation of the rules was left in place, because by the time the coordinator/appeals committee became aware of it it had already been enforced against some teams and couldn't be undone. In some cases, the best organizers can do is try to make it equally unfair to all.

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven » February 25th, 2013, 10:32 am

Do you guys know how long it takes for an official clarifcation from the NSO site? I sent one in for maglev over a month ago an I've gotten no response....

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat » February 25th, 2013, 10:58 am

mrsteven wrote:Do you guys know how long it takes for an official clarifcation from the NSO site? I sent one in for maglev over a month ago an I've gotten no response....
It often takes a month or two.

Return to “2013 Build Events”