MagLev C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

MagLev C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Re: MagLev C

Post by iwonder »

Anyone know of a place to get a cheap track for this event? I tried building one a long time ago and it never worked out very well, but $150 or more is way out of our budget...
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

iwonder wrote:Anyone know of a place to get a cheap track for this event? I tried building one a long time ago and it never worked out very well, but $150 or more is way out of our budget...
We've extensively changed the rules to allow for hand-built tracks. There will be a document posted shortly on the soinc.org event page going over in great detail on how to build one. In addition, we've changed the parameters to allow for 4' tracks, which are significantly cheaper than the 8' tracks most people buy. Pitsco and Kelvin are the only retailers I know of that sell them.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Oh, thanks :) and yes, I was looking at the 8' pitsco track... Expensive stuff.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by twototwenty »

Parameters which enable hand-built tracks? That's...interesting.
I hadn't expected the rules to change very much from last year's trial event...I wonder if having an expensive brushless motor system will still pretty much be required to have a chance to place well with this year's rules.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

I remember discussion a few weeks back about that where chalker chimed in and made a comment that seemed to imply a 'no semiconductors' clause, I'll try and dig it up.

Edit: here we are...
chalker wrote: It's still a couple weeks before the printed manuals come out, but I'll save everyone the trouble and expense by letting you know the rules will explicitly prohibit brushless motors and integrated circuits of any kind... so stick to the basic brushed motors.

here's the discussion: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... &start=150

So to the people that have done this event before, using an ESC, was it ever to your advantage to ramp up the speed instead of just hitting it full on instantly? Seems to me that it would minimize the possibility of jolting everything out of place, last time I tried a maglev it was very unstable/hard to use. Also, how complex are these systems? I assume everything is direct drive from the motor using the standard hobby parts, generally? Or do more competitive teams have some kind of gear reduction?
Theengineeer
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Theengineeer »

chalker wrote:
iwonder wrote:
We've extensively changed the rules to allow for hand-built tracks. There will be a document posted shortly on the soinc.org event page going over in great detail on how to build one. In addition, we've changed the parameters to allow for 4' tracks, which are significantly cheaper than the 8' tracks most people buy. Pitsco and Kelvin are the only retailers I know of that sell them.
Would this mean we can no longer use remote activated systems?
If so, a lot of danger will result. Even with a brushed motor, a propeller spinning quickly can, and will, pose a major threat when the vehicle gets to the end of the track.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

We will all have to wait a couple more days till we get the rules to see what is and is not legal.
Having flown gas powered model airplanes a few years, I think that you are significantly overstating the problem. The electric motor spins at a fairly high RPM but is not terribly strong, so when it hits the pillow at the end of the run, it will either stop turning or be trapped enough to turn it off - if - you have a switch or a quick disconnect in the power line.
If you are concerned with your personal safety, you might want to go to Kelvin.com and buy one of their safety props, assuming that it is of legal size.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Im thinking no remotes. Chalkers comment saying no integrated circuits means you have no way to connect a remote controller to the maglev.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

I'm still thinking a switch or bar across the front that would turn the motor off would allow you to stop the car when it hits the pillow, if you're really concerned about safety. I think the point this year is to go back to complete basics, a battery and a motor driving a prop, instead of having complex brushless R/C systems that cost significant amounts of money. Few more days till we know for sure :D

Return to “2013 Build Events”