State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C

Post by plaidsuitguy1 »

For the Poudre Build Team the final scores at Nationals were:

Gliders - 1st place + $1500 scholarship to school of choice
Gravity Vehicle - 2nd place
Robot Arm - 3rd place. We would have been second if not for a last minute rule clarification that was misinterpreted
Maglev - 6th place
Boomilever - 9th place
Remote Sensing (One build team member and one non-build team partner) - 1st place + $1000 scholarship to school of choice

With only three members, we were the second best build team at Nationals

Coming soon: A picture of our amazing suits.
plaidsuitguy1
Division: C

Post by plaidsuitguy1 »

Poudre's maglev weighed 2400 grams and traveled the distance of 64 cm in 0.5 seconds. Unfortunately, we greatly overestimated our capabilities and our predicted time was off by 0.12 seconds. My partner and i felt very confident on the test, so we were surprised to learn that we only score 23/50.

Does anyone know the first two American inventors that theorized maglevs?
pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

plaidsuitguy1 wrote:Does anyone know the first two American inventors that theorized maglevs?
From what I know, I believe it was James Powell and Gordon Danby from Brookhaven National Laboratory. I'm not quite sure if they were indeed the first, but I know they were at least one of the first.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
GeoChamp96
State: TX

Post by GeoChamp96 »

hmcginny wrote:The winning car was 7.1 kg at .85 seconds for a ~8350 at 64 cm (or at least that's the car score of the winning team). I'm not sure how good solon was, but I believe their score was slightly worse, or maybe we just beat them on the test. It would be interesting if they released the full score sheet in the test packet like they did last year.
7.1kg?? That's insane! I'm not nearly as good at this event as most people on this thread, but I can't even imagine the magnets on a track supporting that kind of weight, let alone having it travel the distance in under a second... How on Earth does one accomplish this?
Jdogg
State: PA

Post by Jdogg »

GeoChamp96 wrote:
hmcginny wrote:The winning car was 7.1 kg at .85 seconds for a ~8350 at 64 cm (or at least that's the car score of the winning team). I'm not sure how good solon was, but I believe their score was slightly worse, or maybe we just beat them on the test. It would be interesting if they released the full score sheet in the test packet like they did last year.
7.1kg?? That's insane! I'm not nearly as good at this event as most people on this thread, but I can't even imagine the magnets on a track supporting that kind of weight, let alone having it travel the distance in under a second... How on Earth does one accomplish this?
haha, :). Look at the highlight video at 1:46. We'll probably post another video of the car and track later this week.
http://www.wright.edu/cats/technical/eventstream/
click highlights then
click sont highlights
Look for the hockey mask at 1:46 :)
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

GeoChamp96 wrote:
Rare earth magnets on the track.

Guess what the rules are going to forbid next year......;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
plaid suit guy2

Post by plaid suit guy2 »

I can't even imagine how you got the 7kg into the space. Our vehicle was made of solid lead, and it was only about 2.5kg. Though, our mass was limited by the fact that it wouldn't be levitating above the track if it got any heavier.
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

plaid suit guy2 wrote:I can't even imagine how you got the 7kg into the space. Our vehicle was made of solid lead, and it was only about 2.5kg. Though, our mass was limited by the fact that it wouldn't be levitating above the track if it got any heavier.
Yeah, we made our own 1 inch block of lead on our car, you can kind of see it in the video. Before states we had a 2.5kg car too, and we we're only getting 3000-5500 or so with that one.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

chalker wrote:
Rare earth magnets on the track.

Guess what the rules are going to forbid next year......;)
That would be a shame. Spending money on something like that might seem like a good idea if it was a two year investment but to only get one year out of it seem to remind me of Sumobots. There are many ways to eliminate the bonus that some teams have gotten out of such a track without making rare-earth magnet tracks not allowed. Some of these ideas have already been mentioned in this thread and coming from a school with a neodymium track that we thought we might be able to use for two years it is not only rough to know that we might not be able to but on top of that might need to spend money on track that does not use rare-earth magnets.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

The rules are still be written, so nothing is final yet, but that's pretty certain. Most of the changes will be coming from an attempt to increase safety (refer to the hockey apparel used by Harriton above.) We recognize a serious safety hazard from such heavy vehicles moving so quickly (and specifically how much energy is going through the exposed propellers.) While I don't want to divulge too much on early drafts, I would expect significant adjustments, all with the intention of reducing the risk encountered by the students, coaches and supervisors.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director

Return to “2013 Build Events”