Elastic Launched Glider C

jander14indoor

Re: Elastic Launched Glider C

Postby jander14indoor » April 28th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Michigan State tournament top time was approx 40 seconds for the two flights. 30 ft center height, 25 ft at walls.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

erikb
Division: C
State: CO

Postby erikb » April 30th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Solar power plane - Why such a large rudder?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WmnLIN1sw
Solar powered planes move very slowly.

So the effect of a rudder is mitigated by the speed. They need a large rudder to turn.

Just like your glider. A small turn of the rudder is a huge change in the launch portion but a small one in the the glide.
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.

erikb
State: CO

Postby erikb » April 30th, 2013, 1:58 pm

For colorado the winning team was a combined 67 point in roughly a 27' ceiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnhbGO19hJo
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.

jander14indoor

Postby jander14indoor » April 30th, 2013, 2:44 pm

VERY nice flight. More than a second a foot. If you pause at the right point you'll see the launcher they used. That will ensure consistent launches.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

theging
State: OH

Postby theging » April 30th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Does anyone know what the winning time was at Ohio State, and how high the ceiling was?
Again, always unofficial, but I personally timed the winning team as having 2 37 second flights. The French Field House is probably about 40 feet ish. Can someone else give a more accurate height?

wlsguy
Division: Grad

Postby wlsguy » May 1st, 2013, 5:39 am

Does anyone know what the winning time was at Ohio State, and how high the ceiling was?
Again, always unofficial, but I personally timed the winning team as having 2 37 second flights. The French Field House is probably about 40 feet ish. Can someone else give a more accurate height?
The best flight of the day was a 37 seconds but they only had 1 of these in their 5 scored flights.
The other one was 33 seconds for a combined 70 seconds.
5th place had a combined 47 seconds.

The ceiling height was 46 feet.

drifter601
State: TX

Postby drifter601 » May 5th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Wright State had a top score of ~ 38 seconds (for 2 flights)

Good point Jeff. The ceiling was 24' unobstructed.
24' is MUCH lower than most of the gyms people test at.
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...

caseyotis
State: NY

Postby caseyotis » May 8th, 2013, 6:23 pm

I keep checking on this thread, and I'm not even sure if I want to do this event.

So I just want to clear one thing up.
Is this event time-consuming? Because honestly, it sounds really fun and interesting, but I don't have much time? Like, if we hold practices once a week for two hours a session, could I complete a good working glider if I have the right tips and I theoretically have the concept? If that makes sense?
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

sr243
State: WI

Postby sr243 » May 9th, 2013, 7:47 pm

I keep checking on this thread, and I'm not even sure if I want to do this event.

Is this event time-consuming? Because honestly, it sounds really fun and interesting, but I don't have much time? Like, if we hold practices once a week for two hours a session, could I complete a good working glider if I have the right tips and I theoretically have the concept? If that makes sense?
What is your goal? If you are aiming for the magical 1ft/s, then this event will take a lot of time. If you are just going for decent score like 10-15 seconds in a 25 ft ceiling, I think you can get by with a simple design and practice. Unless you have someone to help you, this event may be quite difficult to do well in by yourself.

wlsguy
Division: Grad

Postby wlsguy » May 9th, 2013, 8:16 pm

The event itself doesn't require a large amount of time but can be very frustrating.
Basically it involves 3 parts:

1) Built a glider (or many gliders). These can be very complex and require many hours or be simple and completed quickly. I have heard of teams spending 10+ hours carefully sanding each glider and I know teams (ours for example) who built 3 gliders in an hour. Complexity is not always and indicator of good performance.

2) Trim (or adjust) the glider. This can take hours for each glider or minutes depending on your experience and method. You can't run before you walk and you can't make 20+ second flights without first spending some time learning how to trim. Our first gliders seem to take forever (3~4 hours). Once you have a good method, later gliders go pretty quickly (<1 hour each). You can tell pretty quickly if the glider is going to be a winner. In our case, if it doesn't get 20 seconds in our 25' gym during the 1st practice session, we throw it into the "scrap" pile.

3) Rebuild. This is the frustrating part. Each flight has risks and many gliders end up pbroken or needing repair. Sometimes the first flight of the glider is it's last. It really stinks to spend 10 hours building a glider only to see it get blown apart on the 1st or 2nd launch.

So; this event can take as little or as much time as you want to give it. Rushing doesn't pay off, only patience will be rewarded.

Return to “2013 Build Events”