Sounds of Music B

MacBookMinus
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by MacBookMinus »

ali941 wrote:Keep in mind, the pitch of the marimba will depend on the environment. So you can cut the keys now if you want, but sand them down to at least 50 cents sharp at room temp. That way, you can make it perfect next year. Same with the resonators.
50 cents??? That seems quite a bit extreme.
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

MacBookMinus wrote:
ali941 wrote:Keep in mind, the pitch of the marimba will depend on the environment. So you can cut the keys now if you want, but sand them down to at least 50 cents sharp at room temp. That way, you can make it perfect next year. Same with the resonators.
Yeah, that really doesn't make any sense
Besides, you always want to sand FLAT not sharp, as it's much easier to make a note sharper than flatter...
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
ali941
Division: C
State: CA

Post by ali941 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
MacBookMinus wrote:
Yeah, that really doesn't make any sense
Besides, you always want to sand FLAT not sharp, as it's much easier to make a note sharper than flatter...
Actually, it's much easier to make a note flatter than sharper for a marimba. 50 cents isn't that bad. Some of mine started at 300 cents sharp.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

ali941 wrote: Actually, it's much easier to make a note flatter than sharper for a marimba. 50 cents isn't that bad. Some of mine started at 300 cents sharp.
Sorry, you're right, I was confusing myself for some reason.
But I still don't know why you'd leave it that off. You really should be aiming for <2 cents on the fundamental, and <10 cents on each overtone.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
ali941

Post by ali941 »

I meant before the final sanding. You should have it about that far off when you drill the holes at the nodes, and then do final sanding to bring it within 2-3 cents of the correct pitch. Sorry about being unclear.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

ali941 wrote:I meant before the final sanding. You should have it about that far off when you drill the holes at the nodes, and then do final sanding to bring it within 2-3 cents of the correct pitch. Sorry about being unclear.
Gotcha, and that sounds about right to me. Though I personally did mine at 25 cents I think, since I had 2 overtones and wanted them all to be pretty tight.
(State, Nationals)
ali941

Post by ali941 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
ali941 wrote:I meant before the final sanding. You should have it about that far off when you drill the holes at the nodes, and then do final sanding to bring it within 2-3 cents of the correct pitch. Sorry about being unclear.
Gotcha, and that sounds about right to me. Though I personally did mine at 25 cents I think, since I had 2 overtones and wanted them all to be pretty tight.
I procrastinated like crazy, so I didn't get that luxury. :(
2013 Events:

Hopeful 2014 events:

IM AN ALICORN
miggy_magtaan
State: TX

Post by miggy_magtaan »

ali941 wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
I procrastinated like crazy, so I didn't get that luxury. :(
don't worry, one week before the competition and we haven't even built the instruments yet. :?
DIVISION B

2013 Regional/State Events:
3rd Place Overall Team

Sounds of Music; Unknown
Anatomy; 4th Place (State)
Keep The Heat; Unknown

=~=

2014 Regional Events
1st Place Overall Team

Anatomy; 1st Place
Can't Judge a Powder; 1st Place
Experimental Design; 3rd Place
ali941

Post by ali941 »

That's problematic. Good luck!
2013 Events:

Hopeful 2014 events:

IM AN ALICORN
MacBookMinus
State: IL

Post by MacBookMinus »

Infinity Flat wrote: Yeah, that really doesn't make any sense
Well, I think it would depend on the instrument no?

If you have a marimba bar, it's easier to shave mass from the middle, lowering the pitch and not changing the placement of the nodes. If you shave from the end, then the nodes change location.
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."

Return to “2013 Build Events”