Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by ScienceOlympian »

You can't go over the allowable range, right? I wanted to make a three octave concert marimba but (if the next year's rules did not change), then I could only do two octaves without losing points.
Am I right? Hopefully that rule should change.
Also, a PVC flute can go higher or lower than the allowable range if you have a tight embouchure (spelling).
How is it allowed then?
Also, is a Harry Potter Medley a good piece to play? Or is it too common? Like Harry's Wondrous World or something like that,
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

ScienceOlympian wrote:You can't go over the allowable range, right? I wanted to make a three octave concert marimba but (if the next year's rules did not change), then I could only do two octaves without losing points.
Am I right? Hopefully that rule should change.
Also, a PVC flute can go higher or lower than the allowable range if you have a tight embouchure (spelling).
How is it allowed then?
Yes, you're supposed to stay inside the two octave range.

I've always understood that it's the demonstrated range that they grade you on. So, you would generally make a good attempt to play only within the specifications. However, this is my first year of Sounds and so, I don't really know.

Anything that sounds good and that the judges will recognize is fine. Even if they won't recognize it, the piece should be arranged to show off your instruments. You want to demonstarate range, tone, chords, etc. as much as possible.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
ali941

Post by ali941 »

I wouldn't call a Harry Potter medley common in the least. But, following what silverheart7 said, you want to make sure that your piece shows off both instruments. Depending on what you built, maybe have a few harmonious chords in there, or do offbeats for part of it. You can always change the piece to fit your instrument.

Oh, and last ditch plan: you can always resort to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. :D
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

ali941 wrote:I wouldn't call a Harry Potter medley common in the least. But, following what silverheart7 said, you want to make sure that your piece shows off both instruments. Depending on what you built, maybe have a few harmonious chords in there, or do offbeats for part of it. You can always change the piece to fit your instrument.

Oh, and last ditch plan: you can always resort to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. :D
Other last ditch plan: Ode to Joy
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Thanks!
I can't wait until the rules come out!
But this year's rules for instrument 2: I want to build a marimba for Instrument 2, but the scale is pretty low so I have to make a bass marimba instead.
So is it better to make a marimba for my Instrument 1 and a bass flute or something for Instrument 2?
Hopefully they will change the scales next year.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

A bass flute would be incrediby big, and probably difficult to play... Or at least so I've found in my experimentation. You may be better off with a bass marimba and treble flute, but it's up to you.

ali941

Post by ali941 »

Bass marimba and treble flute... That's pretty much exactly what we did, right down to the letter. It works.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Who else cannot wait till next year?
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

ScienceOlympian wrote:Who else cannot wait till next year?
Nothing's stopping you from starting to build now!
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
MathGeek22
State: PA

Post by MathGeek22 »

Does anyone think that Viva La Vida by Coldplay was a bad choice for my sounds of the music music choice?
2013 Events: Regional scores
Disease Detectives - 4
Food Science - 6
Road Scholar - 5
Sounds of Music - 1

Favorite Events: (highest place)
Storm the Castle - (1 at regionals and 3 at states)
Sounds of Music - (1 at regionals)
Road Scholar - (3 at regionals)
Can't Judge a Powder - (2 at states)

Return to “2013 Build Events”