Sounds of Music B

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by jander14indoor »

Expect enough change in the rules to require new instruments. Change in range at least.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
crazyfloboe
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by crazyfloboe »

CaRoLyN_s wrote:yeah, the judge was asking us the questions and we were just standing there with this completely clueless look on our faces thinking, what in the world is this guy talking about, so we guessed the answers pretty randomly, and yeah.....
Okay I loved that guy. Me and my partner knew we wouldn't do well because we hadn't been competing in it for a while (opted out at state and there wasn't anybody you judge region) so we learned how to schmooze XD anyways so he walked in and we jumped up and were like "HEY!" and he seriously like did the same thing and started laughing. The other two judges didn't really like our friendliness though... :(
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Oh, you see, my judges were ALL super friendly. I sorta dragged out my happy and bubbly personality and went for it :lol:

Any guesses for next year's required piece?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
crazyfloboe
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

silverheart7 wrote:Oh, you see, my judges were ALL super friendly. I sorta dragged out my happy and bubbly personality and went for it :lol:

Any guesses for next year's required piece?
Really? one lady made us bump elbows cause she didnt like shaking hands
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Well, one woman used to live on Long Island (near where my school is) and we talked about that. And then I complimented the other woman on her skirt and we get to talking about the volunteer t-shirts as well as skirts. I got an extremely friendly vibe from them, and I thought it was a highly positive experience.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

The nationals judges in 2012 were also really nice. I'm not sure if they were the same as this year or not, but they gave us a lot of compliments and eased the pressure and nerves quite a bit.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

zyzzyva98 wrote:The nationals judges in 2012 were also really nice. I'm not sure if they were the same as this year or not, but they gave us a lot of compliments and eased the pressure and nerves quite a bit.
Many of them were the same. I think the national event supervisor changed though. Either way, I must say that it was a great experience both volunteering and competing in the past 3 years.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by ScienceOlympian »

I'm trying to plan for next year, and I can't find any chromatic PVC or bamboo flute plans online.
All of the plans are for diatonic flutes. Is there any way that I can make a diatonic flute play a flat or sharp using half-holes?
Is there any other way to make a diatonic flute?
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
ali941

Post by ali941 »

ScienceOlympian wrote:I'm trying to plan for next year, and I can't find any chromatic PVC or bamboo flute plans online.
All of the plans are for diatonic flutes. Is there any way that I can make a diatonic flute play a flat or sharp using half-holes?
Is there any other way to make a diatonic flute?
Half-holes should work fine. If it doesn't give you the perfect pitch that you want, you can also roll the flute in or out, depending on whether you want to go a half step up or down. Rolling in corresponds to flatter, and rolling out corresponds to sharper. Try experimenting with that first.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian »

Could I use recorder (recorder flute) fingerings for a PVC/Bamboo flute? They both have open holes with no key mechanism.
Even though the notes won't be the same, couldn't the fingerings make flats and sharps? Just curious.
One other thing: I was researching and I found out that PVC can be dangerous for your health. Is it safe to make an instrument out of PVC pipe? Is CPVC pipe any safer? Copper pipe is expensive, so I can't use that.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

Return to “2013 Build Events”