Sounds of Music B

akfackenthal00
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by akfackenthal00 »

a harp sounds good... :D i think i might try that to.
Csunshine27
State: TX

Post by Csunshine27 »

I'm thinking of making a ukulele. What type of strings should I use? I was thinking violin, but I'm not completely sure. :?:
Science Olympiad is cool :)
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Csunshine27 wrote:I'm thinking of making a ukulele. What type of strings should I use? I was thinking violin, but I'm not completely sure. :?:
Why not ukulele strings. Cheap ones are plastic. You might use guitar strings, but they cost more. 1 string might be long enough for two instruments.
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Csunshine27 wrote:I'm thinking of making a ukulele. What type of strings should I use? I was thinking violin, but I'm not completely sure. :?:
Violin strings are terrible for plucking. I can tell you this because I play violin. Extensively. You never want to play a guitar song on a violin. I mean, pizzicato is different, but overall plucking? No. Just...no.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Csunshine27

Post by Csunshine27 »

retired1 wrote:
Why not ukulele strings. Cheap ones are plastic. You might use guitar strings, but they cost more. 1 string might be long enough for two instruments.
I don't think ukulele strings are in the right range.
Swagner
State: MD

Post by Swagner »

anyone have any idea on how to biuld a woodwind instrument?? I do have the incredibly popular PVC xylophone, and your basic string intrumet ideas but I really wnt to know how to biuld even a recorder, or at least some vague ideas.
--Thank you in advance--
TheOpossum

Post by TheOpossum »

This is my first year in science olympiad and am doing this event. I am thinking about making a xylophone. I don't know which would complement it nicely.
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Alright guys...imma make a woodwind instrument. Not telling what. ;)

Anyways I wanna use PVC pipe but my mom says it's toxic, and she doesn't want me putting my mouth on it. I think it only is toxic when warmed up and giving off fumes, right? What do I tell her so that I can use this material...
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
ttboy99
State: PA

Post by ttboy99 »

I've been playing violin and other string instruments for years, and have to wonder how hard a violin is to make. It looks like it would be quite complicated, but then again I've never tried. Anyone tried this and have advice?
Csunshine27

Post by Csunshine27 »

ttboy99 wrote:I've been playing violin and other string instruments for years, and have to wonder how hard a violin is to make. It looks like it would be quite complicated, but then again I've never tried. Anyone tried this and have advice?
Originally my partner and I tried to make a legit violin, but soon realized that curving the wood would for the frame would be pretty hard. So we made a cigar box ukulele instead. It worked pretty well, and there are alot of websites on it.

Return to “2013 Build Events”