Sounds of Music B

Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by Infinity Flat » September 14th, 2012, 11:43 am

This event is as challenging as you make it. You can whip out a simple PVC thongophone in a weekend, but crafting and tuning a full scale bass marimba takes hundreds of hours of dedication. It takes an hour to learn Mary had a Little Lamb, and weeks to perfect a classical duet. The amount of frustration and success you encounter is directly proportional to your standards of tolerance and quality.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

crazyfloboe
Division: C
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe » September 19th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Honestly, the most basic such as flute and keyboard can be your best choice. If you tune them to perfection and play them flawlessly you'll no doubt be in the win long as you are able to anwser the questions... which will be easier than tuning
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3

foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics » September 20th, 2012, 5:54 am

crazyfloboe wrote:Honestly, the most basic such as flute and keyboard can be your best choice. If you tune them to perfection and play them flawlessly you'll no doubt be in the win long as you are able to anwser the questions... which will be easier than tuning
Except that I have no ability to play either one of those. well, maybe a bit...
Tuning a violin isn't actually that hard...it's just a matter of fighting the pegs until they do what you want them to.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 » September 20th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Maybe I'll make a didgeridoo, or maybe I'll forge a penny whistle (that would be hard to get it right though).

Or maybe I'll make the awesome...Pluckapon! :D
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

cupcakegirl

Post by cupcakegirl » September 20th, 2012, 6:47 pm

My partner wants to make a harp... does anyone have and advice for making one? Is a harp a good instrument to make for this event?
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils

havendude
State: PA

Post by havendude » September 23rd, 2012, 7:44 pm

cupcakegirl wrote:My partner wants to make a harp... does anyone have and advice for making one? Is a harp a good instrument to make for this event?
An actual, orchestral-sized harp is probably going to be a real pain in the neck to make and transport. It would take a ton of supplies to make it, and high quality ones if you want it to sound good. For a full size, you would need to rent a whole van to get it to competitions, and your team probably would not be able to fit much more than a mission possible in the van as well. If you're thinking smaller, some form of lyre might actually be really good, if you could learn to play it well.
---Regionals---States---Nats

Rocks and Minerals---2nd---15th---11th
Disease Detectives---1st---3rd---27th
Optics---1st---NA---NA
Crime Busters---2nd---NA---NA
Compute This---NA---32---15th

foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics » September 23rd, 2012, 7:45 pm

havendude wrote:
cupcakegirl wrote:My partner wants to make a harp... does anyone have and advice for making one? Is a harp a good instrument to make for this event?
An actual, orchestral-sized harp is probably going to be a real pain in the neck to make and transport. It would take a ton of supplies to make it, and high quality ones if you want it to sound good. For a full size, you would need to rent a whole van to get it to competitions, and your team probably would not be able to fit much more than a mission possible in the van as well. If you're thinking smaller, some form of lyre might actually be really good, If you could learn to play it well.
There is a really well-made harp on display in the image gallery. Go check it out.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

cupcakegirl

Post by cupcakegirl » September 28th, 2012, 8:48 am

foreverphysics wrote:
havendude wrote:
An actual, orchestral-sized harp is probably going to be a real pain in the neck to make and transport. It would take a ton of supplies to make it, and high quality ones if you want it to sound good. For a full size, you would need to rent a whole van to get it to competitions, and your team probably would not be able to fit much more than a mission possible in the van as well. If you're thinking smaller, some form of lyre might actually be really good, If you could learn to play it well.
There is a really well-made harp on display in the image gallery. Go check it out.
Yea... that is where she got the idea from... I will try to convince her to make a lyre then, thanks :)
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils

zoya22
State: NY

Post by zoya22 » October 10th, 2012, 1:54 pm

ive just joined SO, and im doing this project whos a year older than me and has 1 year experience, and we both know a lot about music. anyone have any ideas on what i should make?like, would a string or wind instrument be easier? ps im in 7th grade and my partners in 8th :?:

The Architect
State: VT

Post by The Architect » October 12th, 2012, 2:05 pm

zoya22 wrote:ive just joined SO, and im doing this project whos a year older than me and has 1 year experience, and we both know a lot about music. anyone have any ideas on what i should make?like, would a string or wind instrument be easier? ps im in 7th grade and my partners in 8th :?:
Well, it depends on the individual for what is "easier" and it also depends on how much time you want to put in your instrument. The first thing that I would say though is to make an instrument that you know how to play, even if it more difficult to build, because you won't have to learn how to play a new instrument and this can allow you and your partner to play more advance pieces. Secondly, what is your partner thinking of making? Some instrument pairings sound better than others, so if your partner is set on the instrument that they want to build then you might want to make something that compliments it. And third, unless you have a competition very soon, now is not the time to choose the 'easy way out'. Now is the time to build the instrument that will be dependable and that will get you the most points in the long run, even if it will be difficult to make.
Science, yeah!

Made a new team. 7th place at NH states. Officially the champions of Vermont.

2015-2016 Events:
Air Trajectory, It's About Time, EXPD, and WIDI.

Return to “2013 Build Events”