zoya22
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by zoya22 »

The Architect wrote:
zoya22 wrote:ive just joined SO, and im doing this project whos a year older than me and has 1 year experience, and we both know a lot about music. anyone have any ideas on what i should make?like, would a string or wind instrument be easier? ps im in 7th grade and my partners in 8th :?:
Well, it depends on the individual for what is "easier" and it also depends on how much time you want to put in your instrument. The first thing that I would say though is to make an instrument that you know how to play, even if it more difficult to build, because you won't have to learn how to play a new instrument and this can allow you and your partner to play more advance pieces. Secondly, what is your partner thinking of making? Some instrument pairings sound better than others, so if your partner is set on the instrument that they want to build then you might want to make something that compliments it. And third, unless you have a competition very soon, now is not the time to choose the 'easy way out'. Now is the time to build the instrument that will be dependable and that will get you the most points in the long run, even if it will be difficult to make.
my partner wants to make a harp, and i'm thinking about making a chinese bamboo flute, and i think that theyll go good together...? ive already planning on how i'm going to make it, and my partner is doing research too. and there are some other people signed up for sounds of music, and we have to show progress quicker than the others to be officially signed up for it. i REALLY want it!!!!
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Those two instruments sound as if they would go very good together. If you put in the necessary time and effort you should be sounding very good by the beginning of your competition season. Start thinking about what music would go with those instruments, though- there are some songs that certainly would not sound good at all on that combination, and some that would fit perfectly.

And speaking of music, I haven't seen the B division rules- I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but what is the required song for this year?
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
cupcakegirl
Division: C
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Those two instruments sound as if they would go very good together. If you put in the necessary time and effort you should be sounding very good by the beginning of your competition season. Start thinking about what music would go with those instruments, though- there are some songs that certainly would not sound good at all on that combination, and some that would fit perfectly.

And speaking of music, I haven't seen the B division rules- I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but what is the required song for this year?
Theme Movement #2 New World Symphony
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Theme from Dvorak's New World Symphony, 2nd mvt (yeah, the famous - and awesome - English Horn solo). I am quite jealous, since we got Shenandoah and St Anthony Chorale, and they get cool stuff :[

And huh, they even specify a tempo - they never did that for us!
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
lolo
Division: B
State: NY

Post by lolo »

Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has ever done a xylophone for sounds of music?
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

lolo wrote:Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has ever done a xylophone for sounds of music?
I played and helped make the marimba that took first at nationals alongside our team's violin. Xylophones and marimbas are essentially the same thing, just with slightly different tuning (first overtone on marimba is two octaves above the fundamental, first overtone on xylophone is one and a third octaves above the fundamental.) If you have any questions on making a xylophone, feel free to ask, and see some of my other posts at the end of last year's thread, here: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=2947. I should have pictures up on the image gallery relatively soon.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
crazyfloboe
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

Is there any type of music anyone would reccomend or like to warn me about? We are leaning mostly to Japanese artists and a few american but other than that i have no clue we are staying away from classical.
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
Czery
State: NJ

Post by Czery »

crazyfloboe wrote:Is there any type of music anyone would reccomend or like to warn me about? We are leaning mostly to Japanese artists and a few american but other than that i have no clue we are staying away from classical.
IMO video game music is great for impressing others especially if it's a well known tune (mario bros, final fantasy, etc). I got a pretty good feedback from my school's team selection committee last year. Anything familiar would work. Also depending on the type of instrument you are making you should find a song that sounds nice on the instrument. (e.g. mellow music for flutes, epic music for percussion) Timbre is important. You could always try something that nobody's heard of before. (see video below)

PVC Product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7sKcqTeo4

For the most part, music choice is personal preference.
yo
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I respectfully disagree. Video game music is fun, and it could impress other sciolyers, but when I saw someone on my team writing video game music last year, I shut him down immediately. Why? Because it's simply not the best choice. Yeah, a lot of video game music sounds good, but it's a tier down from where you could be looking. You should assume that the judge isn't as big of a nerd as you are.

Here's what your music should be, in my opinion:
It should match your instrument (and that's a no-brainer- hard rock won't sound good on a flute. Or really anything, actually)
It should be fairly well known- playing a popular song well will earn you more points than a lesser-known song.
It should match your skill level- don't take the easy way out, but don't go for music you can't play

Making your music selection is probably one of the most important decisions, but it should not steal the show. The music should highlight your instruments, rather than vice versa. Last year at nationals, the second place team played some variations on "My Country 'tis of Thee." Everyone knows that song, and it went well with their instruments. The center of attention wasn't on the song, it was on the instruments and the quality of the music they produced. The first place team played Csárdás (if I recall correctly), which was probably the perfect choice because it allowed them to really show off their instruments. (Talk to Infinity Flat about that.)

But again, to reiterate a point that's been made- most of all, it's what you're comfortable with. Don't force yourself into uncomfortable situations. If you play your music well, you can let your instruments do the talking- and that's how you do well in this event.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Just in case people need ideas for instruments, I posted a video of our teams February, mid-season, practice last year.
Guitar and chimes.
Thanks-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07pH0-bgWg&feature=plcp

Return to “2013 Build Events”