Gravity Vehicle C

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by GoldenKnight1 » November 2nd, 2012, 4:05 pm

Balsa Man wrote:When you say runs could be easily timed (electronically) if they ran straight - gate timing IS relative cake- catching a vehicle moving across two lines (like MagLev), but from start, to (even w/ a straight run) varying (by quite a bit) end points, how would you do that w/photogates?? Another technology/approach in mind?
Taking a video of the run and watching it as they do at some track meets would be an option if you could borrow the equipment. The issue is implementing it on two tracks with a total of 120 runs all day and having the time to go back and watch the film to get the time scores.

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » November 2nd, 2012, 4:15 pm

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:When you say runs could be easily timed (electronically) if they ran straight - gate timing IS relative cake- catching a vehicle moving across two lines (like MagLev), but from start, to (even w/ a straight run) varying (by quite a bit) end points, how would you do that w/photogates?? Another technology/approach in mind?
Taking a video of the run and watching it as they do at some track meets would be an option if you could borrow the equipment. The issue is implementing it on two tracks with a total of 120 runs all day and having the time to go back and watch the film to get the time scores.
Yup, that's the only 'electronic' approach I can think of - and it doesn't need a straight run to work. And you've nailed the issues on actually being able to use it at a competition
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

chalker7
State: CA

Post by chalker7 » November 4th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Balsa Man wrote: Not sure if you're talking to me, or the broader audience. Having been in the middle of the (Scioly board side of) those discussions, I'm quite aware. TOTALLY agree with, and understand the absence of electronic timing. Good that everyone understand the issue here. The adjustment of rules to slow things down was a great, realistic, solution. As I said, hats off!
When you say runs could be easily timed (electronically) if they ran straight - gate timing IS relative cake- catching a vehicle moving across two lines (like MagLev), but from start, to (even w/ a straight run) varying (by quite a bit) end points, how would you do that w/photogates?? Another technology/approach in mind?
Just the general audience (this is a question I had years ago and assumed some people would have it as well.) You're totally right that measuring the end point is basically impossible (without video, as suggested is highly technically challenging,) but another strategy is to do something like what Mousetrap Vehicle did this year and only measure a predefined portion of the run.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director

Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man » November 8th, 2012, 12:03 pm

What elastic devices were you guys thinking of?

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » November 8th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:What elastic devices were you guys thinking of?
Not sure what your question is about - the only recent mention of elastic was me just saying that a sliding weight was not an "elastic storage device', so didn't violate the rules about such devices...
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder » November 8th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:What elastic devices were you guys thinking of?
If I remember correctly you asked about this earlier in the season? For the record, my vehicle still doesn't use elastic devices.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX » November 9th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Does anyone have a full functioning device yet? If so, what kinds of scores have you been getting?
Medal Counter: 73

bigNick
State: IN

Post by bigNick » November 15th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Is it within the rules to move the paper clip between runs? I don't see anywhere where it would expressly prohibit it, but I was just wondering.

blazer
State: MO

Post by blazer » November 15th, 2012, 3:07 pm

bigNick wrote:Is it within the rules to move the paper clip between runs? I don't see anywhere where it would expressly prohibit it, but I was just wondering.
Yes, see rule 5g.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm

JTMess
State: NY

Post by JTMess » November 15th, 2012, 3:28 pm

bigNick wrote:Is it within the rules to move the paper clip between runs? I don't see anywhere where it would expressly prohibit it, but I was just wondering.
We did this last year and it can work quite well if the car is over the mark on your first run, but the paperclip isn't on the correct side or needs to be moved forward/backwards.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st

Return to “2013 Build Events”