Mousetrap Vehicle B

ckssv07
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by ckssv07 »

The distance is measured in centimeters, so there is a larger emphasis on speed than last year.
personguything
Division: B
State: NY

Post by personguything »

I know this really doesn't relate to the current topic, but should I use a braking system? If so, what kind of breaking system (name) and how would I install it on a piece of balsa? I'm already considering the "Wingnut" system but I was just wondering if anyone else had any other methods.
The Big Theory
State: OH

Post by The Big Theory »

You could use the string that is pulling the back or front axle and wind it the opposite way once around. Hope this helps!
Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill Nye the science guy!
--------------------------------------------------
sora8698 has been slain by Herobrine
Herobrine has been pleased...
Ready for round 2?
Daniel1224
State: IN

Post by Daniel1224 »

A Person wrote:
Daniel1224 wrote:This is what the rules has for an example of a run score:

Distance Off Score 155.3 cm
Time Score +28.95 (which is 5.79 seconds x 5)
Total Run Score =184.25

Is the distance off actually being scored as centimeters??? This would weight the time score extremely. For example, Team A gets only 1 cm off from the target point, while team B is 10 cm off. Team A's run took 8 seconds, and team B's took 6, a difference of only 2 seconds. This would mean that team A gets 41 points and B gets 40, meaning B would win. Even though Team A was a mere 1 cm off compared to ten, a run time margin of 2 seconds put B over the top, which doesn't make sense to me.
Is this a mistake in the rules? Is the distance off score actually based off the number of millimeters away from the target point?
The score is measured in millimeters. Five centimeters off equals 50 points, or 10 seconds. Accuracy matters very much, trust me.
A Person, where did you hear that the score would be in mm?
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

Daniel1224 wrote:
A Person wrote:
Daniel1224 wrote:This is what the rules has for an example of a run score:

Distance Off Score 155.3 cm
Time Score +28.95 (which is 5.79 seconds x 5)
Total Run Score =184.25

Is the distance off actually being scored as centimeters??? This would weight the time score extremely. For example, Team A gets only 1 cm off from the target point, while team B is 10 cm off. Team A's run took 8 seconds, and team B's took 6, a difference of only 2 seconds. This would mean that team A gets 41 points and B gets 40, meaning B would win. Even though Team A was a mere 1 cm off compared to ten, a run time margin of 2 seconds put B over the top, which doesn't make sense to me.
Is this a mistake in the rules? Is the distance off score actually based off the number of millimeters away from the target point?
The score is measured in millimeters. Five centimeters off equals 50 points, or 10 seconds.
A Person, where did you hear that the score would be in mm?
Nevermind, I was corrected about this just recently. Sorry for getting my rules wrong.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
bibblybo
State: NC

Post by bibblybo »

NC rule states, "Competitors must start the vehicle by actuating a trigger using an unsharpened #2 pencil, with an unused erased. The trigger must be designed so that its actuation is perpendicular (vertical) to the floor. A non-vertically activated trigger will be considered a construction violation."
Then a clarification came up on the NC website that states, "NC Only - RULE 3.h. has been changed to: Competitors must start the vehicle by actuating a trigger using an unsharpened #2 pencil, with an unused eraser (supplied by the Event Supervisor). The trigger must be designed so that its actuation is perpendicular (vertical) to the floor. A non-vertically activated trigger is a construction violation. The pencil cannot be the actuation switch/trigger. (1/14/13)" (See the last sentence).
Since the pencil cannot be the activation trigger, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.
The Big Theory

Post by The Big Theory »

A small wooden dowel like 1/4 of an inch diameter or some other wood or metal item that is small in size. :?:
Ready for round 2?
Cade
State: MI

Post by Cade »

Yesterday, at invitationals, I got top 10 in 3 events, but mousetrap vehicle was the only one where I placed (6th). This isn't a good thing, because the only people who worked on it were my partner & his family. I virtually did nothing. I knew how the vehicle worked, and I was busy with other events (rotor egg drop, write it do it, rocks). Who thinks that I should be proud of my ribbon?
HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
The Big Theory

Post by The Big Theory »

I wouldn't but I mean that's just me and my opinions...about almost everything
Ready for round 2?
Jbob27
State: KY

Post by Jbob27 »

Can the extension bar be part of a Fishing rod? Can it be flexible or not?

Return to “2013 Build Events”