Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Postby bearasauras » October 1st, 2012, 7:43 pm

What question do you have?

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby retired1 » October 1st, 2012, 8:09 pm

Mousetrap vehicle--Para 3. c. says that you can not modify the mousetraps in any way except the addition of the kill bar. With 2 mousetraps, can you add a small piece of balsa under the bait snag of tomcat traps to tie the 2 release mechanisms together so that thy both release at the same time
Line 4 says that the kill bar extension is the only thing that can be added except 4 screws.

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » October 1st, 2012, 8:15 pm

Mousetrap vehicle--Para 3. c. says that you can not modify the mousetraps in any way except the addition of the kill bar. With 2 mousetraps, can you add a small piece of balsa under the bait snag of tomcat traps to tie the 2 release mechanisms together so that thy both release at the same time
Line 4 says that the kill bar extension is the only thing that can be added except 4 screws.
Unofficially of course (standard disclaimer), I think line 4 is pretty explicit in that you can't add anything else to the mousetrap, thus adding a 'small piece of balsa' would be prohibited.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby iwonder » October 1st, 2012, 8:32 pm

You just have to tie the mousetraps together at the arm(tie them and the kill bar with one piece of tape) and only use the catch on one trap, when this was a c-div event at my highschool once catch was enough to hold back both springs.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

SirBobo
Division: B
State: CA

Postby SirBobo » October 30th, 2012, 4:04 pm

How does a dowel facilitate timing like stated in rule g?
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image

chalker7
State: CA

Postby chalker7 » October 30th, 2012, 6:11 pm

How does a dowel facilitate timing like stated in rule g?
If the event supervisor is using photo gates, the dowel will make it much easier to trigger the gates.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director

retired1

Postby retired1 » October 31st, 2012, 8:12 am

It will actually help a tiny bit for stopwatch timed events as it has each timer looking at the same point. Unfortunately, angles make a difference and this event is typically run in a hallway at regionals and state events which makes the angles a lot bigger. Not good, and it can make a difference in team positions. Measuring to a hundreth of a second in a narrow hallway does little for true accuracy. 1 or 2 tenths would be more probable.

bibblybo
Division: B
State: NC

Postby bibblybo » November 3rd, 2012, 1:18 pm

I was wondering what kind of wood ya'll would recommend using for the vehicle. My partner and I have thought about it and just can't seem to find what kind of wood would be best. If you can, please help us.

retired1

Postby retired1 » November 3rd, 2012, 2:33 pm

Balsa is the lightest possible, but if you go light, cross brace in a couple of places. If you plan on using bushings for bearings or micro ball bearings, I would go with basswood to be able to keep the axles true. If you have access to a table saw, have an adult rip a piece if 1 x 4 light pine into 3/16 thick. After you have built one, try a bit thinner wood.
One of the most important parts is to have the axle true to the car. This normally means taping the two sides together and line drilling them. Reinforce the corners with blocks or gussets and have the whole car perfectly square while the glue sets. Homemade jigs are nice.
Remember, friction and weight are your enemies.

Lobo
Division: C
State: IL

Postby Lobo » November 14th, 2012, 10:38 am

What are everyone's thoughts on the timing system? Like it, or not?

Return to “2013 Build Events”