Robot Arm C

olympiaddict
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by olympiaddict » December 30th, 2012, 11:43 am

Okay, thanks for the help.

so, my drill battery charger has a plug that terminates in a male barrel jack connector, which then plugs into the plastic charging base for the battery.
Would it be feasible to charge another 12v battery by getting a female barrel jack and then soldering wires for charging another 12v battery onto that, so I could unplug that when I want to go back to charging my drill?
My concern is whether the current the charger supplies would not be the right amount for a battery I buy, if that would be a problem, and then if it would be a problem that the charger is meant for a NiCd and I may want to buy a battery that's a NiMH.

Yes, that was the next option I would consider- possibly just a better choice all around.

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder » December 30th, 2012, 11:51 am

It'd have to be the same battery type and the same capacity to work with that charger... probably not going to work..
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict » December 30th, 2012, 11:55 am

Okay, I figured it out to be close in capacity, but the charger I've been charging my 6v's with says it can handle from 3.6v to 6v, either NiCd or NiMH, so I figured there was an acceptable range, and that maybe NiCd and NiMH chargers were interchangeable.

In any case, if I was gonna buy another battery, it'd be both cheaper and easier in terms of charging to just get another of the same 6v's, so I guess it doesn't matter if the drill charger would work.

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder » December 30th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Yeah, you're right about the NiMH and NiCad chargers, I forgot about that.. I was thinking more along the lines of lead-acid batteries vs NiMH drill bat... regardless it's probably easier to get another 6v.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict » December 30th, 2012, 12:02 pm

The drill battery is a NiCd. But yeah, if I choose not to go with the battery I have, I'll just get another 6v.

BlueRed07
Division: B
State: NY

Post by BlueRed07 » January 4th, 2013, 8:14 pm

I know that the bonus jug is unmodified besides the cap but has anybody noticed any trends of which way the handle is facing on the jug?

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk » January 4th, 2013, 8:23 pm

BlueRed07 wrote:I know that the bonus jug is unmodified besides the cap but has anybody noticed any trends of which way the handle is facing on the jug?
I haven't noticed any trend. There's no rules regarding which way it will face, in fact it might very between competitors at the same tournament, unless the judge is very methodical. So don't plan on using the handle for anything.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA

Post by GoldenKnight1 » January 5th, 2013, 4:14 am

BlueRed07 wrote:I know that the bonus jug is unmodified besides the cap but has anybody noticed any trends of which way the handle is facing on the jug?
I always flipped a coin three times to determine this. Whether the jug would be on the left or right, if the handle would be on the left or right, and if the handle would be close to or away from the competitor was always random.

illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist » January 5th, 2013, 7:47 am

harryk wrote:
I haven't noticed any trend. There's no rules regarding which way it will face, in fact it might very between competitors at the same tournament, unless the judge is very methodical. So don't plan on using the handle for anything.
Actually, don't the rules specify that the placement of the jug must be identical for all competitors at the tournament? I would imagine that includes orientation as well.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk » January 5th, 2013, 8:23 am

illusionist wrote:
harryk wrote:
Actually, don't the rules specify that the placement of the jug must be identical for all competitors at the tournament? I would imagine that includes orientation as well.
Yes, but most judges don't pay that much attention to detail
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

Return to “2013 Build Events”