Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by harryk »

olympiaddict wrote:Robot Arm is out of the rotation for next year?
Really? Where did you see this? I'm wouldn't be surprised since most events are on a two year cycle, but I'd expect that robot arm might get three years due to the needed investment and complexity. Though I am interested to see what, if any, robotic event will replace it.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
olympiaddict
Division: C

Post by olympiaddict »

I'm only basing this on Mr. Boyd's post above
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by harryk »

olympiaddict wrote:I'm only basing this on Mr. Boyd's post above
/facepalm
I did not see that :oops:
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
mortal_creator_13
State: NV

Post by mortal_creator_13 »

I know that this isn't the place for rule clarifications, but when using a robot arm kit with modifications, should we list the original kit as ONE item on the components list, or should we detail each part? It's a assembly-required kit, not a preassembled.
"Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -Anon.
“If your spirit suffers too much, you will soon start to hallucinate. And in the end you will be destroyed.” -Ib
olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict »

I personally would list everything since it says if a component is not assembled by the team it can be listed as a whole component. Since you put it together I'd say the inverse of that statement suggests each must be individually listed. I would mark each item in the Notes field as part of the kit though, then you're covered in my opinion.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Also the kit comes with a list of all the parts (likely) which is nice to use when making the component lists ;)
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
mortal_creator_13
State: NV

Post by mortal_creator_13 »

Alright! Thank you all. :) Good luck with your competitions!
"Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -Anon.
“If your spirit suffers too much, you will soon start to hallucinate. And in the end you will be destroyed.” -Ib
RAntonello
State: FL

Post by RAntonello »

According to the rules, commercial batteries must not exceed 14.4 volts as labeled. Does that mean the max collective voltage allowed is only 14.4 volts, or each individual battery can be up to 14.4 volts as long as it is on different circuits. For example, a remote control needs a 9v battery but the robot arm needs a separate 9v battery.
olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict »

the situation you have described is legal.

The rules prohibit any point in a circuit to have a greater voltage than 14.4. This means that no matter what batteries you have in your device, it will be legal so long as they are connected to have a voltage less than or equal to this number. Meaning, two 12v packs could both be in separate circuits, or alternatively connected in parallel, but it would not be allowed for them to be in series and output 24v.
http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batt ... r-Parallel
This link gives you a little info about how this works.

Good luck!
Parth 9999
State: NJ

Post by Parth 9999 »

Our team has been wondering whether a wireless connection is necessary for the competition. The rules state the regulations for radio control equipment however we do not know whether the wired connection is allowed.

Return to “2013 Build Events”