Robot Arm C

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by mrsteven » March 1st, 2013, 5:39 pm

Parth 9999 wrote:Our team has been wondering whether a wireless connection is necessary for the competition. The rules state the regulations for radio control equipment however we do not know whether the wired connection is allowed.
Yes. Teathered connections are allowed
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

Parth 9999
State: NJ

Post by Parth 9999 » March 1st, 2013, 6:42 pm

Thank you

FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL » March 5th, 2013, 2:39 pm

What kind of heights have people been seeing?
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven » March 14th, 2013, 8:48 am

I have my engineering diagrams drawn up in a 3 view, and I'm finding I'm going to have to add a few things before state, is it ok/ do you think it is acceptable if I used a photo editing program to simply add those features on top of the existing picture? I only have the PDFs of the diagrams, unfortunately the flash drive with the program data I used to make it has been eternally misplaced....

Basically some good diagrams that will look semi-not-as-good if I use Paint or something to add the features. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to get docked 10% for it. I definitely won't be winning any tie breakers for documentation
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor » March 14th, 2013, 9:16 am

OK, usual caveat about not official clarification, opinion, etc.

The rules were intentionally written as open as we could. I did not want students to focus on presentation but on content. I wanted the students to focus on the need to describe devices completely and accurately without requiring drafting skills or software. Note that I explicitly stated that "...hand-drawings are acceptable..." in the rules.

That said, it does need to be clear enough that an event supervisor can reasonably quickly determine if the content requirements are met.

And of course, I can't control how your event supervisor (unless its me) actually implements the rules.

You do realize that documentation is no longer on the tie breaker list. There's enough penalties for documentation already.

And with the height task I hope there is little, if any, need for tie breakers.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

lmatkovic3
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by lmatkovic3 » March 19th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Would it be possible to host the national event in a room with a higher ceiling? I've heard reports of a schoolmate finishing with over a minute left over, which would allow him to raise an arm to extreme heights above the 12-15 foot ceiling mentioned in the event description on the nationals website.

chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker » March 19th, 2013, 4:31 pm

lmatkovic3 wrote:Would it be possible to host the national event in a room with a higher ceiling? I've heard reports of a schoolmate finishing with over a minute left over, which would allow him to raise an arm to extreme heights above the 12-15 foot ceiling mentioned in the event description on the nationals website.
Probably not. It's a spectator event so there are only so many places on campus we can hold this. The selected room is a pretty large lecture hall, with tiered seats. 12-15 feet to the ceiling is rather uncommon in most rooms. That said, if this is a serious concern (and not a hypothetical) I suggest you PM Jeff Anderson since he'll be running the event and perhaps he can come up with a solution.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

lmatkovic3
State: GA

Post by lmatkovic3 » March 19th, 2013, 6:03 pm

chalker wrote:
lmatkovic3 wrote:Would it be possible to host the national event in a room with a higher ceiling? I've heard reports of a schoolmate finishing with over a minute left over, which would allow him to raise an arm to extreme heights above the 12-15 foot ceiling mentioned in the event description on the nationals website.
Probably not. It's a spectator event so there are only so many places on campus we can hold this. The selected room is a pretty large lecture hall, with tiered seats. 12-15 feet to the ceiling is rather uncommon in most rooms. That said, if this is a serious concern (and not a hypothetical) I suggest you PM Jeff Anderson since he'll be running the event and perhaps he can come up with a solution.
Thank you!

ohiostar
State: OH

Post by ohiostar » March 30th, 2013, 11:18 am

If you search YouTube for robot arm videos you can find several examples of the event being run with two bonus jugs. Am I missing something? Is there any interpretation of the rules that would suggest using more than one bonus jug?

Ohio star

twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty » March 31st, 2013, 11:57 am

ohiostar wrote:If you search YouTube for robot arm videos you can find several examples of the event being run with two bonus jugs. Am I missing something? Is there any interpretation of the rules that would suggest using more than one bonus jug?

Ohio star
There should definitely only be one bonus jug. However, there are certainly some event supervisors (particularly at lower levels of competiton) who misinterpret or do not read carefully the rules. Also, depending on what videos you're watching, they could just be of teams practicing, not actual competitions, and for whatever practicing with multiple bonus jugs.

Return to “2013 Build Events”