erikb
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by erikb »

Some things I would like to say

1. In no way is anyone from Poudre suggesting that jdogg should not have won.

2. Plaid suit 2 (pl2) does not have a dog in this race. He did not compete. (He was taking a test at the time) however, he was the designer and built the robot.

3. This team was a sophomore who loves to build and two freshman who are perfectionists. The night before, they fighting over how to consistently get under 1.5cm from the dot in gv because 1.5 is not good enough.

4. Pl2's frustration is with how the rules were written. To understand him more. He does not build to win he builds to wow. He feels that he was denied the opportunity to do his best.

Winning is a happy side note to him. He wants to build amazing.

In two events pl2 feels that he was denied the opportunity to truly do his best. And those that saw him at the gliders know how upset he was.

Again, in no way is anyone from Poudre saying jdogg did not earn or deserve his first place. If anyone knows the hours it takes to earn as many medals as jdogg it's the Poudre build team and they have nothing but respect for him
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by harryk »

olympiaddict wrote:Same here, harryk :) Although given more time, I would've changed it to a regular high-torque servo with the potentiometer externalized to get the needed range and gearing- I didn't like having to trick the PID loop of my servo in order to get it to move fast enough.
I actually was going to use a custom wormdrive gearbox(to eliminate back-drive) with an external pot. Unfortunately I couldn't get my gearbox and pot to behave nicely together so I resorted back to the winch servo about a week before state.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
Jdogg
State: PA

Post by Jdogg »

erikb wrote:Some things I would like to say

1. In no way is anyone from Poudre suggesting that jdogg should not have won.

2. Plaid suit 2 (pl2) does not have a dog in this race. He did not compete. (He was taking a test at the time) however, he was the designer and built the robot.

3. This team was a sophomore who loves to build and two freshman who are perfectionists. The night before, they fighting over how to consistently get under 1.5cm from the dot in gv because 1.5 is not good enough.

4. Pl2's frustration is with how the rules were written. To understand him more. He does not build to win he builds to wow. He feels that he was denied the opportunity to do his best.

Winning is a happy side note to him. He wants to build amazing.

In two events pl2 feels that he was denied the opportunity to truly do his best. And those that saw him at the gliders know how upset he was.

Again, in no way is anyone from Poudre saying jdogg did not earn or deserve his first place. If anyone knows the hours it takes to earn as many medals as jdogg it's the Poudre build team and they have nothing but respect for him
I feel the same was and just love the build events because of the ability to be creative and to impressive people as well. What was the other event that pl2 was denied the opportunity to do his best? ELG?
I heard from a few friends just how amazing your glider was, good luck at your AMA competitions. I'm betting you can give Bill Gowen a good run for his money ;).
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL »

that is so cool, congrats on first! :)
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
erikb

Post by erikb »

No one got a good movie from nationals for the robot arm. But, it did not change from state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxv9cCmzOA
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

So I'm going to stop this conversation.
A few people on the boards asked me how high I could get my height task.. So here are two pictures of it going fairly high (20 feet) it takes a little under 40 seconds to go this high. I usually only go to about 16 feet with about 15 seconds left in practice cause i don't like to push it incase of catastrophic failure.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B10KrH4 ... prZlE/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B10KrH4 ... hFLW8/edit
Harriton Class of 2013
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

How do you end up measuring something that high? It looks like the tape measure's looped over itself too many times to make it useful. Also of note: http://xkcd.com/284/
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

iwonder wrote:How do you end up measuring something that high? It looks like the tape measure's looped over itself too many times to make it useful. Also of note: http://xkcd.com/284/
That's really awesome :), haha I haven't seen that xkcd XD.
You could use the tape measures they actually don't kink, notice the plastic parts every 1-2.5 feet to keep the structure stably/not kinking. So the tape measures are a really good representation of the height. But at nats they used lasers to measure it. Plus I also know how high the ceiling is there, and it looked about 2 feet from the ceiling which makes it roughly 20 ish feet.
Harriton Class of 2013
plaid suit guy2

Post by plaid suit guy2 »

There's two artists in that exhibit wondering where their painting stands went...
does the fishing line pull it back down?
and how do you deal with the rat's nest that forms?
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

plaid suit guy2 wrote:There's two artists in that exhibit wondering where their painting stands went...
does the fishing line pull it back down?
and how do you deal with the rat's nest that forms?
haha, probably
The way it goes up and down is by motors, it pushes the tape measures up and down and those pieces lock into place my friction between them and the tape measure. Thus getting pulled from the top down, then another motor will release two of those at a time throughout the end of the run and they are also carried up by the tape measures due to friction.
The strings usually fall and actually make pretty nice loops. At nats we had two pieces of paper that went around all the pieces of string. It ended up working out pretty well.
Harriton Class of 2013

Return to “2013 Build Events”