plaid suit guy2
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by plaid suit guy2 »

ok, now i'm really confused.
are you saying that there are motors at the top that somehow unspool the tape measures, and then ones that unlock the tape measures to let them reel back in.
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15
Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Jdogg »

plaid suit guy2 wrote:ok, now i'm really confused.
are you saying that there are motors at the top that somehow unspool the tape measures, and then ones that unlock the tape measures to let them reel back in.
best thing to look at is the video and the pictures in the description. It's pretty hard to explain, but i'll put in depth pictures up this weekend when i get a chance (with grav pictures too).
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

Jdogg wrote:
best thing to look at is the video and the pictures in the description. It's pretty hard to explain, but i'll put in depth pictures up this weekend when i get a chance (with grav pictures too).
Yes, more pictures would be awesome!
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Jdogg wrote:
Put them in the image gallery. ;)
In fact, would you mind terribly much if I just shoved those pictures into the Robot Arm gallery?
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Jdogg
State: PA

Post by Jdogg »

foreverphysics wrote:
Jdogg wrote:
Put them in the image gallery. ;)
In fact, would you mind terribly much if I just shoved those pictures into the Robot Arm gallery?
haha sure
harryk wrote:
Jdogg wrote:
Yes, more pictures would be awesome!
Yeah, I plan to put more in. Though all the pictures are on my other computer and I just got my charger back for it from my friend late late last night and won't get a chance to upload some until tonight/tmr.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Season's over, but here's a video I found of my robot I took after state and put on youtube recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujx-ax2kr0U
It's no jdogg's arm, but its got its own personality, moves half decently fast
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
erikb
State: CO

Post by erikb »

jander14indoor wrote:.

In case folks don't have pictures, I have pictures of all the devices taken during check in, but won't post unless requested by the team.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Without thinking about it, the robot arm was inventoried and packed up, without pictures.

If you could, please post the pictures that you took. As we won't be able to.
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
Sc2d19
State: MI

Post by Sc2d19 »

You are in a position that I suspect many of the teams going to Nationals are right now. Keep in mind that out of something like 6,400 teams that started the season back in the fall, you are amongst only 120 to make it to Nationals - the best of the best. Naturally each and every one of those teams is operating at the 'edge' of the rules and trying to make judgment calls
Unfortunately it is not representative of the "best of the best" in each event, only the "best of the best" teams which undoubtely leaves out many of the "Best" in each event........should take a clue from MSHSA Wrestling and go with a team tourny and an indiviual tourny, that would then bring out a true "best of the best"
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Sc2d19 wrote: Unfortunately it is not representative of the "best of the best" in each event, only the "best of the best" teams which undoubtely leaves out many of the "Best" in each event........should take a clue from MSHSA Wrestling and go with a team tourny and an indiviual tourny, that would then bring out a true "best of the best"
This has been a commonly proposed and rejected idea.
See:
http://www.soinc.org/allstar_teams
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=258
and a few other threads I cannot find quickly.

TL;DR: There are many other independent competitions which focus on excellence for single competitors in individual areas. Science Olympiad is focused on teamwork across a wide portion of STEM-related areas.
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Sc2d19 wrote: Unfortunately it is not representative of the "best of the best" in each event, only the "best of the best" teams which undoubtely leaves out many of the "Best" in each event........should take a clue from MSHSA Wrestling and go with a team tourny and an indiviual tourny, that would then bring out a true "best of the best"
This has been a commonly proposed and rejected idea.
See:
http://www.soinc.org/allstar_teams
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=258
and a few other threads I cannot find quickly.

TL;DR: There are many other independent competitions which focus on excellence for single competitors in individual areas. Science Olympiad is focused on teamwork across a wide portion of STEM-related areas.
however, if you do move to the state of North Carolina, they do have a system similar to what you're talking about.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

Return to “2013 Build Events”