Robot Arm C

Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Robot Arm C

Postby Jdogg » May 21st, 2013, 8:09 pm

So I'm going to stop this conversation.
A few people on the boards asked me how high I could get my height task.. So here are two pictures of it going fairly high (20 feet) it takes a little under 40 seconds to go this high. I usually only go to about 16 feet with about 15 seconds left in practice cause i don't like to push it incase of catastrophic failure.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B10KrH4 ... prZlE/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B10KrH4 ... hFLW8/edit
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Postby iwonder » May 21st, 2013, 8:14 pm

How do you end up measuring something that high? It looks like the tape measure's looped over itself too many times to make it useful. Also of note: http://xkcd.com/284/
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Jdogg

Postby Jdogg » May 21st, 2013, 8:19 pm

How do you end up measuring something that high? It looks like the tape measure's looped over itself too many times to make it useful. Also of note: http://xkcd.com/284/
That's really awesome :), haha I haven't seen that xkcd XD.
You could use the tape measures they actually don't kink, notice the plastic parts every 1-2.5 feet to keep the structure stably/not kinking. So the tape measures are a really good representation of the height. But at nats they used lasers to measure it. Plus I also know how high the ceiling is there, and it looked about 2 feet from the ceiling which makes it roughly 20 ish feet.
Harriton Class of 2013

plaid suit guy2
Division: C
State: CO

Postby plaid suit guy2 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:40 pm

There's two artists in that exhibit wondering where their painting stands went...
does the fishing line pull it back down?
and how do you deal with the rat's nest that forms?
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15

Jdogg

Postby Jdogg » May 22nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

There's two artists in that exhibit wondering where their painting stands went...
does the fishing line pull it back down?
and how do you deal with the rat's nest that forms?
haha, probably
The way it goes up and down is by motors, it pushes the tape measures up and down and those pieces lock into place my friction between them and the tape measure. Thus getting pulled from the top down, then another motor will release two of those at a time throughout the end of the run and they are also carried up by the tape measures due to friction.
The strings usually fall and actually make pretty nice loops. At nats we had two pieces of paper that went around all the pieces of string. It ended up working out pretty well.
Harriton Class of 2013

plaid suit guy2
Division: C
State: CO

Postby plaid suit guy2 » May 22nd, 2013, 6:16 pm

ok, now i'm really confused.
are you saying that there are motors at the top that somehow unspool the tape measures, and then ones that unlock the tape measures to let them reel back in.
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15

Jdogg

Postby Jdogg » May 22nd, 2013, 8:39 pm

are you saying that there are motors at the top that somehow unspool the tape measures, and then ones that unlock the tape measures to let them reel back in.
best thing to look at is the video and the pictures in the description. It's pretty hard to explain, but i'll put in depth pictures up this weekend when i get a chance (with grav pictures too).
Harriton Class of 2013

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby harryk » May 23rd, 2013, 6:03 am

best thing to look at is the video and the pictures in the description. It's pretty hard to explain, but i'll put in depth pictures up this weekend when i get a chance (with grav pictures too).
Yes, more pictures would be awesome!
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

foreverphysics
State: AL

Postby foreverphysics » May 23rd, 2013, 6:32 am

Put them in the image gallery. ;)
In fact, would you mind terribly much if I just shoved those pictures into the Robot Arm gallery?
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Jdogg

Postby Jdogg » May 23rd, 2013, 9:50 am

Put them in the image gallery. ;)
In fact, would you mind terribly much if I just shoved those pictures into the Robot Arm gallery?
haha sure
Yes, more pictures would be awesome!
Yeah, I plan to put more in. Though all the pictures are on my other computer and I just got my charger back for it from my friend late late last night and won't get a chance to upload some until tonight/tmr.
Harriton Class of 2013

Return to “2013 Build Events”