Rotor Egg Drop B

JMDugan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rotor Egg Drop B

Post by JMDugan »

I have a question and a comment.

When attaching the cup to your device, are you allowed to tape over the top of the cup so the egg doesn't fall out? I'm thinking not, but we have had a fair amount of eggs fall out of the cup and trying to prevent that.

Secondly, I saw some suggestions that you have a cup on your device that you slip the cup the supervisor gives you into it. I don't see how this can be legal since the provided cup would NOT be the first thing to touch to floor -- your cup would be.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Usual caveat, this isn't the place to get clarifications, not official, opinion only, blah, blah

Given that weight is your enemy, why would you WANT a double cup, legal or not.

If I remember correctly, tape is to attach device to cup, so probably doubtful on legality to hold egg in. But that would really depend on your event supervisor.

Now, it wouldn't be all that hard to build a lid into your device so you keep the egg in the cup. Make a simple X with 1/16 balsa sticks, slightly larger than the cup top. Run 4 strings from the bottom of your rotor system, tie them to ends of the X and then hang down a couple of inches. Tape strings hanging down to sides of cup so X closes the top. Simple, lightweight, no issue with rules.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
ramcoach
Division: B
State: MI

Post by ramcoach »

hogger wrote:
ckssv07 wrote:I was just wondering because people were making rotors that went across the diagonals of the box, but they made a rules clarification that you have to measure it when thebox has at least one face parallel to the ground. Because of this most proctors make you drop it diagonally
If you look at the national website in the rule clarification, it says that the rotor with length made to fit diagonal of the 51x51x51 cube is illegal. The proctors should have instead put that device in at least tier 3?
I wonder if people are confusing the two-dimensional diagonal that would occur if the device was oriented in a flight-ready position (giving a diagonal length of a little over 72 cm) with the three-dimensional diagonal between two opposite corners (giving a length of 90 cm).
goodcheer
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

JMDugan wrote:I have a question and a comment.

When attaching the cup to your device, are you allowed to tape over the top of the cup so the egg doesn't fall out? I'm thinking not, but we have had a fair amount of eggs fall out of the cup and trying to prevent that.

Secondly, I saw some suggestions that you have a cup on your device that you slip the cup the supervisor gives you into it. I don't see how this can be legal since the provided cup would NOT be the first thing to touch to floor -- your cup would be.

You could cut the bottom out of a cup and pre-attach it to the device so you can slip the egg cup into the mounted cup at the competition. This would add very little weight and would require little tape.

Also, par.3.c states the tape can be used to secure the egg and cup to the device and 2.b to seal the bag. So it looks like tape can be used somewhat liberally if needed.
KillerBuni
State: OH

Post by KillerBuni »

I just finished states and I managed to score a 5.09 sec drop from about 6.5m high... that wasn't what we were hoping for, yet we blew the other competition away by about 2.5 seconds. I was wondering if anyone had an idea to lighten my design and if so please msg me.
- Team Saying - "Who needs Science when you got $w@g?"
9th Helicopter Egg Drop (Nationals Trial Event) - 2012
1st Rotor Egg Drop (States) -2013
5th Forestry (States) - 2013
7th Keep The Heat (States) -2013
sofan
State: TX

Post by sofan »

Cade wrote:
hogger wrote:
Cade wrote:I made a big rotor-egg drop, and dropped down our schools' stair case. I think it was 17 feet, and I used a 57 g. weight (that's like the average weight of an egg) and it fell in 6.1 seconds. Is this a good time?
Are you sure that is the right time at the stated height? It seems too good to be true to me.
Yes, yes, it's all true.

If it is true, then it is really good. But, I have Never seen a team that had a time of 6.1. It's sort of unreal.
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
Beastybob12345
State: CA

Post by Beastybob12345 »

Hehe... I had around 3.1 at regional... ;)
Last edited by Beastybob12345 on April 3rd, 2013, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

NorCal Science Olympiad is AWESOME!!!

Cade
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Cade »

If it is true, then it is really good. But, I have Never seen a team that had a time of 6.1. It's sort of unreal.
It's against the rules, because it has to fit in the cube in flight position. Mine was 70cm x 70cm, and it only fit in the box if I tilted it, while bending the wings.
HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
hogger

Post by hogger »

Cade wrote:
It's against the rules, because it has to fit in the cube in flight position. Mine was 70cm x 70cm, and it only fit in the box if I tilted it, while bending the wings.
You did not know the rule? This specific violation has been discussed here and posted on national clarification faq.
KillerBuni
State: OH

Post by KillerBuni »

I believe that you cant tilt the device in any way, as long as it is flat. So then you could get a 70 X 70 device, however it would do best if it was square. :D
- Team Saying - "Who needs Science when you got $w@g?"
9th Helicopter Egg Drop (Nationals Trial Event) - 2012
1st Rotor Egg Drop (States) -2013
5th Forestry (States) - 2013
7th Keep The Heat (States) -2013

Return to “2013 Build Events”