Rotor Egg Drop B

Beastybob12345
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rotor Egg Drop B

Post by Beastybob12345 »

Okay, I will try that, if I can find some materials.
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

NorCal Science Olympiad is AWESOME!!!

ckssv07
Division: C
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

sr243 wrote:
ckssv07 wrote:If i drop my rotor and it gets say 4.5 seconds off of 5.5 meters, will the first 5.5 meters of a 15meter drop be the same 4.5 seconds, or will it be different. If so, is there anyway that an egg could drop 9meters in one second and still survive.
The first 5.5m of the 15m will be the same. It is not like physics change when you are 10m higher. However, the 10m after the initial 5.5m may not be at the same rate as the 5.5m. I am very confused at how it drops 9m in one second. That is very fast to the point that the device would be like a rock. Your maximum dropping rate should be at most 1s per 3m and that is fast. If you are somehow saying the first 5.5m of the 15m takes 4.5 seconds and the 9.5m takes 1s, I don't think that is possible unless your device breaks at 5.5m for whatever reason. The device must be dropping at 4m/s at 5.5m to drop 9m in a second (assuming 9.8m/s acceleration and no drag). At this point, it is basically like an egg in a cup free falling from 10m so yes, it would break. I am not sure if I misinterpreted your question but I am not too sure what you are asking (because the 2nd part of the question seems impossible unless your device breaks?). I think eggs can withstand around a fall of 5m/s but I haven't tested the limits of that. However, if you want to be competitive, you should make sure your drop rate is consistent and slow (1s/2m is a good starting goal).
I was just wondering because at states, the proctor told us it was a 15meter drop, and that our drop time was ~6seconds. I thought this was odd because our rotor consistently(over 100drops) gets ~4.3-4.4off of 5meters. I wasnt sure if something had happened to our rotor or they measured something wrong(either time, or height).
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

ckssv07 wrote:
sr243 wrote:
ckssv07 wrote:If i drop my rotor and it gets say 4.5 seconds off of 5.5 meters, will the first 5.5 meters of a 15meter drop be the same 4.5 seconds, or will it be different. If so, is there anyway that an egg could drop 9meters in one second and still survive.
The first 5.5m of the 15m will be the same. It is not like physics change when you are 10m higher. However, the 10m after the initial 5.5m may not be at the same rate as the 5.5m. I am very confused at how it drops 9m in one second. That is very fast to the point that the device would be like a rock. Your maximum dropping rate should be at most 1s per 3m and that is fast. If you are somehow saying the first 5.5m of the 15m takes 4.5 seconds and the 9.5m takes 1s, I don't think that is possible unless your device breaks at 5.5m for whatever reason. The device must be dropping at 4m/s at 5.5m to drop 9m in a second (assuming 9.8m/s acceleration and no drag). At this point, it is basically like an egg in a cup free falling from 10m so yes, it would break. I am not sure if I misinterpreted your question but I am not too sure what you are asking (because the 2nd part of the question seems impossible unless your device breaks?). I think eggs can withstand around a fall of 5m/s but I haven't tested the limits of that. However, if you want to be competitive, you should make sure your drop rate is consistent and slow (1s/2m is a good starting goal).
I was just wondering because at states, the proctor told us it was a 15meter drop, and that our drop time was ~6seconds. I thought this was odd because our rotor consistently(over 100drops) gets ~4.3-4.4off of 5meters. I wasnt sure if something had happened to our rotor or they measured something wrong(either time, or height).
I am pretty sure that height or time is wrong but you guys still got 1st. Our team had a last minute design and still got 3 seconds for 7m and 1.5s for 3m. So for 15 m, we would have gotten around 6s as well. However, it would be nowhere close to 4s for 5.5m. I am guessing that they got the height wrong as 15m (50 ft?) is super high. That is almost 5 basketball hoops high or 5 stories. Normal gyms are only 25-30 feet tall and even that is high.
ckssv07

Post by ckssv07 »

It was in a giant stairway, and they said it was 48 feet.
sr243

Post by sr243 »

Hmm, not sure then. 6s does seem pretty fast when you can get 4s in 5m. It should be like 12s. Did your device spin and descend the same throughout the entire run? Did it hit anything on the way down or land before hitting the floor? Otherwise I do not think that is accurate time for 15m. If you have the time, do a graph of the times from 2m to 6m (height on x axis, time on y axis). You can put the data in excel and calculate a line or curve of best fit which gives you insight into an approximate 15m time. It would also be nice to see if the graph is linear or logistic. If it is almost linear, then it is already descending at its maximum velocity which is predicts 12s for 15m. If it is logistic (or like a square root graph), then it would get less than 12s for 15m.
ckssv07

Post by ckssv07 »

I am not sure if anything happened, i will ask the people who dropped it for me.
sofan
State: TX

Post by sofan »

ckssv07 wrote:I am not sure if anything happened, i will ask the people who dropped it for me.
I have thought of three possibilities.
One: the location had the A/C on and the vents were on the ceiling. It could push is down a whole lot faster.
Two: I see that you did 100 trials. Rotors dont really lat that long. I usually do 10 and then i dont touch it until the competition. Could have something broken.
Three: The proctors dont know how to measure.
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
MagicalMurder

Post by MagicalMurder »

I do believe that air vents would have contributed towards that or.... 100 trials? I usually do like 3-5 then have a brand new one for the competition... For example, we had a good design, and we did 5 tests, then build a brand spanking new one to use for our states...
The only events I'm not on... are the events that i comment on. :3
sofan
State: TX

Post by sofan »

MagicalMurder wrote:I do believe that air vents would have contributed towards that or.... 100 trials? I usually do like 3-5 then have a brand new one for the competition... For example, we had a good design, and we did 5 tests, then build a brand spanking new one to use for our states...
I do around 10 because there is always a error in timing due to the imperfection of humans.
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
sr243

Post by sr243 »

sofan wrote:
MagicalMurder wrote:I do believe that air vents would have contributed towards that or.... 100 trials? I usually do like 3-5 then have a brand new one for the competition... For example, we had a good design, and we did 5 tests, then build a brand spanking new one to use for our states...
I do around 10 because there is always a error in timing due to the imperfection of humans.
I don't think 100 trials is the problem as long as the 100th is very close to the time of first 10 trials (which it may not have been). There is just no point to doing so many trials. Honestly the difference in accuracy between the average of 5 or 10 is very small (less than .1s) as long as they are valid trials. However, vents could be a big deal especially if it messes up how it spins. That would also make sense because I doubt you can win PA states with 6s for 15m otherwise.

Return to “2013 Build Events”