Rotor Egg Drop B

Toms_42
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Rotor Egg Drop B

Postby Toms_42 » May 4th, 2013, 5:42 am

ckssv07 wrote:
sofan wrote:
ckssv07 wrote:Maybe 100 was a bit over but id still say at least 80 because we tested ~7 times every other day after we finished just to make sure nothing broke because somebody could've knocked it over. And we checked right before we impounded.

ok, then my second thought ask (the people that dropped it for you) about the air vents.

He said it assumed its normal path and didnt even know there were air vents.

I dropped it, and air vents may have been there, I couldn't tell. It did show signs of gettin hit by air at one point, (a bad, quick wobble that quickly stablized) and some other teams all drifted the same direction. Other than that it looked normal. Slow and steady falling, it didnt speed up, but at the same time it looked more like 10 meters than 15.

Also it got nearly the same time exactly as what we get when testing with a 9.6 meter drop.

ckssv07
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: C

Postby ckssv07 » May 4th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Toms_42 wrote: I dropped it, and air vents may have been there, I couldn't tell. It did show signs of gettin hit by air at one point, (a bad, quick wobble that quickly stablized) and some other teams all drifted the same direction. Other than that it looked normal. Slow and steady falling, it didnt speed up, but at the same time it looked more like 10 meters than 15.

Also it got nearly the same time exactly as what we get when testing with a 9.6 meter drop.

It was 8.6m.

sofan
Division: B
State: TX

Postby sofan » May 8th, 2013, 5:11 pm

it may have effected it. you never know.
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I

ckssv07
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ckssv07 » May 12th, 2013, 7:59 am

What have the times been for yhe people going to nationals.

sofan

Postby sofan » May 12th, 2013, 3:27 pm

for texas riverwood got first in rotor and second overall. 3.12

2013 state:

ckssv07
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ckssv07 » May 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm

sofan wrote:for texas riverwood got first in rotor and second overall. 3.12

Height?

sofan

Postby sofan » May 12th, 2013, 3:42 pm

uhhh from my partner in metric mastery, it was about 6.5 m
Last edited by sofan on May 12th, 2013, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2013 state:

sofan

Postby sofan » May 12th, 2013, 3:50 pm

sofan wrote:uhhh from my partner in metric mastery, it was about 6.5 m

i also had my input. Im in metric too sorry

2013 state:

retired1
State: FL

Postby retired1 » May 22nd, 2013, 5:51 pm

What were winning times and what height at nationals???

science_wonk
State: AZ

Postby science_wonk » May 23rd, 2013, 10:00 am

retired1 wrote:What were winning times and what height at nationals???

Don't know but almost all of the ones I watched were obviously using parachute drag and not auto gyro. One that was well over 10 seconds rotated maybe 10 times on the way down. Almost all of the top ten would have been tier 2 at our state. They probably should change the name to parachute egg drop.

CMShong

Postby CMShong » May 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

They need new, unbias, event supervisors next year for rotor egg drop. Last year I got first for this event at nationals, and they some how knew that. They were not taking anything I said seriously, and they were like, trying to tier me. My blade would easily have gotten first this year, but they said that my rotor (not even close to a parachute) was a third tier rotor, which kind of ticked me off. I asked them to give me 5 minutes, to literally, re-build the whole thing. The event supervisor, knowing that I won't be able to do it, said yes. I managed to pull it off, my new rotor being half the size of the old one. Even though they tried to tier me, I managed to get 11th... which isnt very good...
1st for rotor egg drop at nationals 2011-2012
2nd for reach for the stars at states 2011-2012
5th for storm the castle at states 2011-2012
1st for helicopter for states 2011-2012

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » May 23rd, 2013, 7:44 pm

CMShong wrote:They need new, unbias, event supervisors next year for rotor egg drop. Last year I got first for this event at nationals, and they some how knew that. They were not taking anything I said seriously, and they were like, trying to tier me. My blade would easily have gotten first this year, but they said that my rotor (not even close to a parachute) was a third tier rotor, which kind of ticked me off. I asked them to give me 5 minutes, to literally, re-build the whole thing. The event supervisor, knowing that I won't be able to do it, said yes. I managed to pull it off, my new rotor being half the size of the old one. Even though they tried to tier me, I managed to get 11th... which isnt very good...

I'll essentially repost here what I put in another thread when a similar statement was made about another event supervisor:

Wow... are you seriously implying that a LONG TIME NATIONAL EVENT SUPERVISOR is in this purely for the ego and thrill of playing 'gotcha' with kids just to impose his viewpoint? If so, I humbly suggest you review the Science Olympiad code of ethics printed on the back of every rules manual and online at http://www.soinc.org/ethics_rules and in particular rule #1. The event supervisors don't have a dog in the race regarding individual teams, and generally err when possible on the side of the teams while ensuring as level a playing field for everyone as possible.

Now, for some actual data: There were NO teams that got over 10 seconds of descent time. The average time across all teams was 6.14 seconds. 37 teams were in tier 1 and the majority of the rest were in tier 3.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

ckssv07
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ckssv07 » May 24th, 2013, 8:17 am

You connot assume that just because it gets a good time it is illegal, we have been to five competitions, we never got tiered, and we got top ten.

hc1220
State: MO

Postby hc1220 » May 24th, 2013, 10:38 am

chalker wrote:
CMShong wrote:They need new, unbias, event supervisors next year for rotor egg drop. Last year I got first for this event at nationals, and they some how knew that. They were not taking anything I said seriously, and they were like, trying to tier me. My blade would easily have gotten first this year, but they said that my rotor (not even close to a parachute) was a third tier rotor, which kind of ticked me off. I asked them to give me 5 minutes, to literally, re-build the whole thing. The event supervisor, knowing that I won't be able to do it, said yes. I managed to pull it off, my new rotor being half the size of the old one. Even though they tried to tier me, I managed to get 11th... which isnt very good...

I'll essentially repost here what I put in another thread when a similar statement was made about another event supervisor:

Wow... are you seriously implying that a LONG TIME NATIONAL EVENT SUPERVISOR is in this purely for the ego and thrill of playing 'gotcha' with kids just to impose his viewpoint? If so, I humbly suggest you review the Science Olympiad code of ethics printed on the back of every rules manual and online at http://www.soinc.org/ethics_rules and in particular rule #1. The event supervisors don't have a dog in the race regarding individual teams, and generally err when possible on the side of the teams while ensuring as level a playing field for everyone as possible.

Now, for some actual data: There were NO teams that got over 10 seconds of descent time. The average time across all teams was 6.14 seconds. 37 teams were in tier 1 and the majority of the rest were in tier 3.

I just want to say that our team got 37th in egg drop at Nats, we dropped our rotor egg drop, and it caught on the third balcony so didn't drop the 4 balconies height, instead it dropped one balcony height. So our time was horrible. We asked the judge for a retry, but he wouldn't let us. I'm not complaining that the judge was unfair or biased, because I am sure he interpreted the rules fairly and accurately. Also, after discussing, our team decided not to complain. But if we had complained, do you think we would have been able to get a retry?
2014: Ladue Middle- 8th at nats!

retired1
State: FL

Postby retired1 » May 25th, 2013, 3:54 pm

science_wonk wrote:
retired1 wrote:What were winning times and what height at nationals???

Don't know but almost all of the ones I watched were obviously using parachute drag and not auto gyro. One that was well over 10 seconds rotated maybe 10 times on the way down. Almost all of the top ten would have been tier 2 at our state. They probably should change the name to parachute egg drop.

Our teams did not go to nationals, but we had long discussions of how the ES might interpret the "parachute" rule.
I would hope that it would get better definitions for 2014. Our teams will gladly live with any understandable definition.
It might be minimum revolutions per foot, or chord length or height of the camber or ?????

Return to “2013 Build Events”