Anatomy B/C

slytherin
Division: B
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by slytherin » October 10th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Hi, this my first year in science olympiad. Do you have any tips or good websites? I've been having trouble finding the diseases on each level from the cell to the whole person... I would very much appreciate help!!! :|
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:

mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola » October 10th, 2012, 5:27 pm

slytherin wrote:Hi, this my first year in science olympiad. Do you have any tips or good websites? I've been having trouble finding the diseases on each level from the cell to the whole person... I would very much appreciate help!!! :|
Hey, welcome to scioly!

If you're new, I recommend you check the wiki first to see how the event works. Once you get familiar with the general concepts of each body system from a kid's book or website (like this one), I recommend you buy a college-level textbook to learn about the science behind the functions, diseases, etc. Good luck!

gesturallyimprobable
State: NY

Post by gesturallyimprobable » October 10th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Well, I'm new to this event as well, so I won't be of much help, but there were a few links mentioned in the past few years. This is one. You should also try watching Hank Green's crash course videos, which I think are helpful. Here is the nervous system and here is the digestive system.

ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid » October 10th, 2012, 6:30 pm

slytherin wrote:Hi, this my first year in science olympiad. Do you have any tips or good websites? I've been having trouble finding the diseases on each level from the cell to the whole person... I would very much appreciate help!!! :|
Last year I didn't really find that either. Most tests haven't really tested me on it. Usually just knowing everything about the disease as a whole was enough. Just study a lot for this event and you'll suceed.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav » October 11th, 2012, 6:11 am

49ers wrote:I like the addition of the Nervous system this year, especially since I will be able to test on it through all the rest of my high school time. :D Does anybody have the rules yet for A&P? If so, what topics are covered in the Nervous system this year?
Everything. For C, at least, the nervous part looks bigger than the other two put together, by a lot. It inlcudes the sense organs, for one - although what consitutes a "major region" is going to be open to a lot of interpretation.

TheFencer
State: NE

Post by TheFencer » October 14th, 2012, 6:07 pm

I've never done Anatomy, though I've always wanted to. This is my last year in B, but no one wants to partner up with me to do this year's subject, believing it to be too much exhausting work. Our team works in pairs, standards, really, for every event. Do you think it would be possible to achieve decent results with just one person participating? I'm also still stacked up on what events I want to do, so this'll probably input the finalization for what events I'll be doing.

chia
State: IL

Post by chia » October 14th, 2012, 6:41 pm

TheFencer wrote:I've never done Anatomy, though I've always wanted to. This is my last year in B, but no one wants to partner up with me to do this year's subject, believing it to be too much exhausting work. Our team works in pairs, standards, really, for every event. Do you think it would be possible to achieve decent results with just one person participating? I'm also still stacked up on what events I want to do, so this'll probably input the finalization for what events I'll be doing.
I really wouldn't recommend it. Though I'm sure there's someone out there who's done just that and done well, the scale of knowledge required for this event is intended for two people to handle. If nothing else, force someone to do some reading beforehand, and have them at competition to look stuff up on your notes sheet (though they might be slower at it than you if they aren't used to it...).
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

slytherin
State: KS

Post by slytherin » October 15th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Thanks for the help... I'll try those stuff...
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:

LCovington
Division: C
State: FL

Post by LCovington » October 25th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Am I the only one that actually LIKES the Digestive system, or is that crazy?
2013 Events: Anatomy B (4) and Disease Detectives B (5)

Yes, the guy in my avatar is me, don't ask.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink » October 26th, 2012, 3:11 am

LCovington wrote:Am I the only one that actually LIKES the Digestive system, or is that crazy?
I dunno. Personally, I stomach it...

Return to “2013 Study Events”