Astronomy C

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Astronomy C

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 28th, 2013, 7:47 am

I don't think there's a particular site devoted entirely to astronomy math. It would definitely be useful, but I think you have to learn each of them individually. There's some information on the Astronomy Wiki, if you haven't looked at it yet. There are also several tests on the Test Exchange that are good in terms of using equations, so you can use those to try to gain practice, since a lot of the math is just recognizing what equation(s) you need to use in the scenario they give you.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask! :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

astro124
Division: C
State: AZ

Postby astro124 » February 28th, 2013, 5:25 pm

I was in your same boat about a month ago. You're going to have to learn most of the equations separately, however I did find a pretty decent site for learning some stellar math (it is limited, so don't rely on it for all you math research).

http://astronomyonline.org/Science/Form ... te2=MP0402

Scroll down and look to your left. There should be some formulas which are pretty handy.
2012 Season: Reach for the Stars-3rd (State) / Keep the Heat-19th (State)
2013 Season: Astronomy-2nd (State) / Disease Detectives-15th (State)
2014 Season: Astronomy-1st (State) / Experimental Design-20th (State)/ Anatomy and Physiology-16th (State)
2015 Season: Astronomy

Thunder

runnergirl
State: OH

Postby runnergirl » March 7th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Has anyone looked at the test exchange at the Northview 2013 test that could help me on #1?

I understand where the formulas come from, but I don't understand where d= 1/.00589^11 came from. I don't understand why the paralax angle is now a decimal, being rasied to the 11th power. Any help?

Briscon
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: WA

Postby Briscon » March 7th, 2013, 7:12 pm

Has anyone looked at the test exchange at the Northview 2013 test that could help me on #1?

I understand where the formulas come from, but I don't understand where d= 1/.00589^11 came from. I don't understand why the paralax angle is now a decimal, being rasied to the 11th power. Any help?
Its not an eleven, its the symbol for arcseconds (so its 0.00589 arcseconds, not 0.00589 to the eleventh).

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » March 8th, 2013, 4:53 am

To elaborate a little bit on what Briscon said, the symbol for arcseconds is " . Also, the symbol for arcminutes is ' and the symbol for arcdegrees is just °, so if you see those, those are unit measures rather than indications that the value is being raised to the first or zeroth power.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

runnergirl
State: OH

Postby runnergirl » March 8th, 2013, 6:52 am

Ah that makes sense now. Totally acing this test..aha...
Thanks everyone! :)

Orange714

Postby Orange714 » March 11th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Just out of curiosity, I know the rules mention "DS9 Imaging Analysis Software," has anyone actually had to use it for a test? Or maybe even know how to use it? Also when it says "light curves, motions, ...etc" What does it mean by motions? Like planetary motions? One last thing for RR Lyrae light curves the x-axis is labeled as phases. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rr_lyrae_ltcrv_en.svg) Are phases just like angles?
Thanks!

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » March 11th, 2013, 6:40 pm

I've seen it on some of the nats tests on the test exchange. You can look it up and download it I believe. I think by motions it means stuff like proper motion, tangential motion, or space motion. I guess even planetary and other motions of stars could be involved too really. As for light curves I guess you could describe phases as an angle? I mean, it's still a part of the normal definition for a light curve (magnitude plotted against time). Looking it up phase seems to be calculated from elapsed time/period, but you can look into that more.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Orange714

Postby Orange714 » March 12th, 2013, 6:45 am

Unfortunately the test exchange is still down and I don't recall any National tests on there from the past few years being posted. Do you think it's likely that the state test will have it?

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » March 12th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Unfortunately the test exchange is still down and I don't recall any National tests on there from the past few years being posted. Do you think it's likely that the state test will have it?
Actually, I find that if you click the link it doesn't work, but going through the wiki and then to the test exchange from something like a "Tests" tab works. Here's a link in case what I say makes no sense (which sadly doesn't sometimes): http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Test_E ... #Astronomy
I don't think states tests use it as much as nationals. I don't know why, but that's what I've seen. But of course, there is always the astro motto of be prepared for anything. Hope that helped.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2013 Study Events”