Astronomy C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro »

XJcwolfyX wrote:Why is there a slash between the Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex and Antares if they are two different objects?

And what is the Antares Region and where is it located in Scorpius?
Erm, just to ask, have you searched it up on google and whatnot? I believe (wait for someone else to agree, since I don't trust myself completely with answering questions) that the star Antares lies within the Rho Oph Complex. So, even if they are different they are related objects by that I guess. I separated them into two objects next to eachother in my notes, but if you ever look up the Rho Oph Complex I think you can find Antares in it.
I am not totally sure what the Antares Region is, but I would think it's just the region in the Rho Oph Complex where Antares is (again, you can look up pictures and whatnot). I am not sure exactly what you mean by where it's located in Scorpius, though. I guess you could find RA/DEC coordinates or again the location in the Rho Oph Complex, but I'm not sure. Also, Antares is known as "the Heart of the Scorpion", which you'd see if you looked at it in a picture of Scorpius. Hope that helps.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
HoundsTeacher
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by HoundsTeacher »

It says in the rules that studnets may bring a laptop to competition. Would they be permitted to bring an ipad as long as it is not connected to wi fi? Would this be a question for the Event Supervisor?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

From the Astronomy FAQ's on soinc.org:
Astronomy FAQ's wrote:The first sentence of this paragraph mentions the allowance of a lap-top computer. Is a tablet-device acceptable as well?
Yes-tablets are permitted.
So yes.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
SimplyNeedLogic
Division: C
State: CA

Post by SimplyNeedLogic »

How do you guys study for Astronomy? It's my first year doing it and I don't know where to start. Are there any study books/guides/textbooks worthy of buying or should I just use Google?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

SimplyNeedLogic wrote:How do you guys study for Astronomy? It's my first year doing it and I don't know where to start. Are there any study books/guides/textbooks worthy of buying or should I just use Google?
Well, I'd recommend the following:
Read the rules and understand the event/see if you have any questions.
Google around for every single bit of the rules, try to find at least one non-wikipedia website for everything if you can, but also use wikipedia to increase your search and use it as well.
In this topic (as in "Astronomy C" on this forum that you are reading), the first post contains multiple useful links. The scioly wiki (top-right-hand corner of this website...), past tests, past astro topic forums. They're all useful
I'll also throw my and Alpha's blog on the list: http://onwardtotheedge.wordpress.com/ . Any recommendations are always welcome ;).
As for textbooks I'll lastly recommend Carroll and Ostlie (we noted it in the preparing for competition part of the blog). I believe it's called fully An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll and Ostlie. It covers effectively THE WHOLE event ASIDE FROM THE DSOs (WHICH WILL BE ASKED ABOUT AND SHOULD BE RESEARCHED).

If you want me to reiterate any of this I can, but I hope this helps.

Edit: Maybe should say look through topics as applicable...Galaxies and AGNs may not be as applicable as last year's topic and varstars. Still, you could read through since concepts like standard candles for distance carry over with galaxies, and AGNs could have slight links to this year's event with massive remnants like black holes. But the last statement still applies, hope this helps.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
youngswimmer
Division: B
State: TN

Post by youngswimmer »

hey i just wanted to coment that my mentor name for this is buzz... when i asked him what his last ame was he didnt say lightyear i got ver sad. :cry:
-BAXINGA!!-
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

youngswimmer wrote:hey i just wanted to coment that my mentor name for this is buzz... when i asked him what his last ame was he didnt say lightyear i got ver sad. :cry:
Okay, just to note try to make more appropriate questions/comments relating to the event in the future :). Though, personally I thought of Aldrin first XD. But I think this is more of a post for general chat/posting games. So, just a note for the future.

Now, since this hasn't been so active (hehe, AGNs), I guess I will ask a question or two (or more...). What do people have for the period-luminosity relationship for cepheid variables? I have two equations:
Mv=-2.81log(P) - (1.43 +/- 0.1)
And:
Mv=-2.43 +/- 0.12(log(P)-1) - (4.05 +/- 0.02)
Where, Mv is the absolute magnitude of the cepheid, P is period of course.
Also, I can't remember, is the relationship only for Type I cepheids? Is there one for Type II, or is it just expected to use the graphs to approximate? Does the +/- matter so much; does it just indicate variability? Sorry, I just can't totally tell from what I've been reading.

Wow, tryouts coming up for me, so hopefully I get the event again :D
flutest

Post by flutest »

im not vey good with memorizing stuff does anybody have good techniques?
im division b so i doing reach for the stars.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

flutest wrote:im not vey good with memorizing stuff does anybody have good techniques?
Just to direct the question more appropriately the topic for reach for the stars is here:
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

As a general recommendation I say my post on the last page still somewhat applies in the fact of read the rules, google every part to it, look at the scioly wiki (for reach that is), and the current forum topic (which I linked) and past ones. It's hard work, but if you spend the time you can do it ;). I think I hear going out and trying to observe the stars if you can helps. Hope this helps...but try your question at the reach forum there.

Now, I still am hoping someone can answer my own question above...
flutest

Post by flutest »

ya i know im new a round hear and didnt see the thing for it. sorry. but thanks for the help.
syo_astro wrote:
flutest wrote:im not vey good with memorizing stuff does anybody have good techniques?
Just to direct the question more appropriately the topic for reach for the stars is here:
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

As a general recommendation I say my post on the last page still somewhat applies in the fact of read the rules, google every part to it, look at the scioly wiki (for reach that is), and the current forum topic (which I linked) and past ones. It's hard work, but if you spend the time you can do it ;). I think I hear going out and trying to observe the stars if you can helps. Hope this helps...but try your question at the reach forum there.

Now, I still am hoping someone can answer my own question above...

Return to “2013 Study Events”