Astronomy C

runnergirl
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by runnergirl »

Ah that makes sense now. Totally acing this test..aha...
Thanks everyone! :)
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

Just out of curiosity, I know the rules mention "DS9 Imaging Analysis Software," has anyone actually had to use it for a test? Or maybe even know how to use it? Also when it says "light curves, motions, ...etc" What does it mean by motions? Like planetary motions? One last thing for RR Lyrae light curves the x-axis is labeled as phases. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rr_lyrae_ltcrv_en.svg) Are phases just like angles?
Thanks!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

I've seen it on some of the nats tests on the test exchange. You can look it up and download it I believe. I think by motions it means stuff like proper motion, tangential motion, or space motion. I guess even planetary and other motions of stars could be involved too really. As for light curves I guess you could describe phases as an angle? I mean, it's still a part of the normal definition for a light curve (magnitude plotted against time). Looking it up phase seems to be calculated from elapsed time/period, but you can look into that more.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

Unfortunately the test exchange is still down and I don't recall any National tests on there from the past few years being posted. Do you think it's likely that the state test will have it?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Orange714 wrote:Unfortunately the test exchange is still down and I don't recall any National tests on there from the past few years being posted. Do you think it's likely that the state test will have it?
Actually, I find that if you click the link it doesn't work, but going through the wiki and then to the test exchange from something like a "Tests" tab works. Here's a link in case what I say makes no sense (which sadly doesn't sometimes): http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Test_E ... #Astronomy
I don't think states tests use it as much as nationals. I don't know why, but that's what I've seen. But of course, there is always the astro motto of be prepared for anything. Hope that helped.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
mathemaniac
State: IL

Post by mathemaniac »

In preparation for States, my partner and I just went through the Northview Invite on the Test Exchange. Going through, we found some mistakes and had a couple of questions for the forum as well...

Possible Mistakes:
1. I'm almost positive that 1a. isn't Arcturus; it's Antares. Previous posts on this forum seem to confirm that.
2. A couple of the formulas on the SciOly formula sheet seem incorrect. The "Luminosity of Star" formula which is supposed to be derived from the Stefan-Boltzmann equation doesn't have the correct powers on R and T. Also, "Kepler's 3rd Law" is sort of weird because there should be a "proportional to" sign, not an "=" sign - for a binary star system (which is what this event would most probably use it for), you need the combined mass term in there as well.

Questions:
3. Question "i." in the Short Answer section says that pulsars emit radiation most strongly in the Radio wavelength band; however, in Donna Young's Astronomy webinar, she seems to put a focus on the fact that pulsars are stronger x-ray sources. I did some research into this, and I think the test is right (PSR apparantly stands for "Pulsating Source of Radio"), but I just wanted to check with people here - do pulsars emit more strongly in Radio or X-Ray?
4. In question 4c, when they ask "Why might this number not be what you expect?," are they just going for the small difference in apparant magnitude from the sun or are they going for why that difference is so small? Why is the difference so small?
5. Can someone explain why the answer to 5b is "reddening" (by which I assume it means redshift)? I'm not quite getting why redshift would depress the distance.

Thanks in advance!
Former captain of the Metea Valley Varsity Science Olympiad Team.
All-time medal counter: 10
My favorite Science Olympiad accomplishment: Astronomy at Illinois States 2013 (2nd Place AA)

Columbia '17
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Yeah, I noticed that mistake and mentioned it earlier. Guess it was ignored XD. I find that the formula sheet should be a working off point. It's good you are researching it and understand the formulas. It's best to have your own organization that works for you. Also, I don't know who made it. I think mistakes were already pointed out in it, so definitely research all the formulas on there, and maybe work out problems to think of other questions.

Reddening actually refers to something called interstellar reddening or extinction. Dust can pretty much absorb some blue light and appear more red. DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH REDSHIFT. As for the pulsars, but I'm not fully sure myself. This: http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect ... utron.html
seems to say it emits mostly in X-rays, so that confused me too. But I knew it was very well known that pulsars are detected in radio. Also, that was for neutron stars. Pulsars could be different since I think they have a mechanism that emits radio waves, but at the same time I feel like that may not fully apply since they are such similar objects. For your other question about 4c I'm not fully sure myself.
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

K, so I'm subbing for this event, and I just wanna know if I should know what lines on a spectra will determine what element the star is composed of.
If so, could you give me a chart if possible?

Thank you in advance.
mathemaniac
State: IL

Post by mathemaniac »

So...after doing a lot of research (including off of this forum), my partner and I haven't been able to find set-in-stone period-luminosity formulas for Type I and Type II Cepheids. There are a slew of different formulas online, almost all of which are different from the ones posted closer to the beginning of this thread, which are all different than the formula "for Type II Cepheids in the J-band."

Does anyone have any ideas or information about this? In all of the tests I've taken where period-luminosity questions have been asked, the formula was provided, but I'm asking just in case it's not.
Former captain of the Metea Valley Varsity Science Olympiad Team.
All-time medal counter: 10
My favorite Science Olympiad accomplishment: Astronomy at Illinois States 2013 (2nd Place AA)

Columbia '17
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Cedavis6 wrote:K, so I'm subbing for this event, and I just wanna know if I should know what lines on a spectra will determine what element the star is composed of.
If so, could you give me a chart if possible?

Thank you in advance.
Yes, spectral emission/absorption lines will determine what elements are in a star or gas cloud. However, they are VERY difficult to distinguish unless you're given element spectra at the exact same scale as the stellar spectra. Nevertheless, for charts, try:

http://www.ucolick.org/~bolte/AY4_04/lines.gif
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/667 ... us/hnj.png

Something like this may also help distinguish the spectral class of a star: http://media.skyandtelescope.com/images/Spectra_L.jpg

You may also see spectra in this form: http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/proj/advance ... ectra1.gif
but the same principle applies - the dips and peaks correspond to various elements that are present.
mathemaniac wrote:So...after doing a lot of research (including off of this forum), my partner and I haven't been able to find set-in-stone period-luminosity formulas for Type I and Type II Cepheids. There are a slew of different formulas online, almost all of which are different from the ones posted closer to the beginning of this thread, which are all different than the formula "for Type II Cepheids in the J-band."

Does anyone have any ideas or information about this? In all of the tests I've taken where period-luminosity questions have been asked, the formula was provided, but I'm asking just in case it's not.
There's not really one definitive formula for the P-L relationship, since there's a good deal of scatter in the actual data due to interstellar extinction and other effects. However the best equation I've found - from an astrophysics textbook, no less - is something like -2.81 log(P) - 1.43 for Type I Cepheids, with a +1.5 or +1.6 mag correction for Type II Cepheids. (Also, fyi, the J-band is an infrared band, so that's definitely going to give you different answers than an equation for the visible bands.)
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Return to “2013 Study Events”