Fermi Questions C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Fermi Questions C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by iwonder »

Could someone migrate the question marathon to the new forum? Or maybe just make a new topic? It's locked up in 2012 :(
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

Has there been any change to the rules or is it just exactly the same?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
cngu23
Division: C
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

49ers wrote:Has there been any change to the rules or is it just exactly the same?
I don't really see how the rules could change too much. Last year's rules were quite broad.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

cngu23 wrote:
49ers wrote:Has there been any change to the rules or is it just exactly the same?
I don't really see how the rules could change too much. Last year's rules were quite broad.
This is true. My question was a poor choice.
iwonder wrote:Could someone migrate the question marathon to the new forum? Or maybe just make a new topic? It's locked up in 2012 :(
It hasn't been migrated yet? Could someone please do so? Because practicing problems is the only thing to do to get any better (and not take 12th at Regionals again, being the worst event place)...
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
Mathdino
Division: C
State: NV
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mathdino »

The rules manual isn't really clear. Are we allowed to have scratch paper, or is it all mental Math?
"If, in other sciences, we are to arrive at certainty without doubt, and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."
-Roger Bacon, The Opus Major of Roger Bacon
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Mathdino wrote:The rules manual isn't really clear. Are we allowed to have scratch paper, or is it all mental Math?
Um, they can't really stop you from that. But they can limit your work space. At my regionals last year they gave us an answer sheet which we couldn't write on (at least, I didn't think we could), so our only scratch paper was the question sheet which was filled front to back. It helps to do mental math quickly, but I would think they have no possible way to stop you from writing out work.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
ryandm

Post by ryandm »

Hi folks, I'm a science olympiad alum and I *loved* fermi questions. I miss it a lot :)

In my experience there aren't any good online fermi questions tutorials, and especially missing is a large repository of practice problems.

Would anyone be interested in something like what I describe at http://www.fermiquestions.com? I'd appreciate a comment there or here if it seems like what I describe would be useful to you (or if you have any thoughts about this in general). Thanks!
current project: www.fermiquestions.com
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

ryandm wrote:Hi folks, I'm a science olympiad alum and I *loved* fermi questions. I miss it a lot :)

In my experience there aren't any good online fermi questions tutorials, and especially missing is a large repository of practice problems.

Would anyone be interested in something like what I describe at http://www.fermiquestions.com? I'd appreciate a comment there or here if it seems like what I describe would be useful to you (or if you have any thoughts about this in general). Thanks!
Sounds useful, though do you really have a few thousand practice problems?
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
ryandm

Post by ryandm »

harryk wrote:Sounds useful, though do you really have a few thousand practice problems?
I'm thinking like a programmer haha

after graduating I studied comp sci & now I write code for a living. I'm sure that some combination of code & tedious compilation of fermi questions / data from around the web would get the overall count up there
current project: www.fermiquestions.com

Return to “2013 Study Events”