Fermi Questions C

coool12
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by coool12 »

There was one question asking the price of a ferry trip to the Dry Tortugas islands. I ended up taking that trip last summer. Other than that..... I liked it.
liutony66
Division: C
State: TX

Post by liutony66 »

So what unit are Fermi Questions generally in? (scientific or standard)
OldSpice
State: NY

Post by OldSpice »

liutony66 wrote:So what unit are Fermi Questions generally in? (scientific or standard)
I've seen them in both. Sometimes neither. (ie: "How many iPhones would it take to cover the face of Mount Everest?")
It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with everything. Remember that tests can have questions on LITERALLY ANYTHING that has a number for an answer.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
KristenEmily13
State: NC

Post by KristenEmily13 »

This is really nice! I love it, it's prefect practice! :D
Thanks!!!!
It's hard to find good quick fermi practice online
Class of 2013
Future Chemical Engineer
Go WolfPack!
2013 NC Events: Fermi Questions, Chem Lab, and Shock Value
zimmy1235
State: PA

Post by zimmy1235 »

Does anyone have a good in depth list of units that covers all the normal ones and as many obscure units as possible?
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

zimmy1235 wrote:Does anyone have a good in depth list of units that covers all the normal ones and as many obscure units as possible?
These could be good starting points:
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:S ... easurement
There also Wikipedia articles for "Units of Length", "Conversion of Units of Temperature", "Orders of magnitude (mass)" and more if you do a little poking around, as well as sections about units in the main articles for "Mass", "Volume", etc. They have an individual article for each unit of measure as well.

Also, if you are going to attempt memorizing a lot of units, keep in mind to only memorize the scale of the units. You don't need to know that there are 5,280 ft in a mile, just around 5x10^3.
zimmy1235
State: PA

Post by zimmy1235 »

Thank you! I have the scientific notation and most units down I'm more just looking for the obscure units because I've been getting hammered by questions on tests about beardseconds, planck lengths, and such so I wanted to go over those and see what other ones there are.
al3201
State: MO

Post by al3201 »

Also, better know A LOT about your state. Got at least 4 points off, from different questions, for forgetting how far Kansas City is from St Louis. :cry:
2012-13 (Regional)
Materials Science (No partner, 2nd)
Thermodynamics (2nd)
Fermi Questions (2nd)
Water Quality (Didn't know was in til day of, 5th)

2011-12 (Regional/State)
Storm the Castle (6th/Cancelled)
Food Science (1st/2nd)
Awesome Aquifers (3rd/9th)
Mission Possible (Did not do/12th)
OSO
State: OR

Post by OSO »

Just curious, what scores do people usually get, e.g. winners? I just rushed through the quizbowl practice test (<15 minutes) and ended up with the seemingly-mediocre score of 64.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

OSO wrote:Just curious, what scores do people usually get, e.g. winners? I just rushed through the quizbowl practice test (<15 minutes) and ended up with the seemingly-mediocre score of 64.
This is a tough question because every test and competition is different.I would say if you score points on every question, you should be in good shape for a medal. I suppose you should shoot for around 1/3 to be 5s. But again, this is very sensitive to the test, and who you are competing against.

I don't have much personal context since I only competed in this event at state my senior year. I did a test off against my teammates who were doing poorly in Fermi last April so I could replace them for state, and I won with about 90 out of 150. (So an average of 3 points per question) I went on to medal at state with a 6th place out of 48 teams.

EDIT: Let me also add that on any unit conversions or math problems you should be able to get 5 points, on any estimations like "how many whatevers in a football field" you should be able to get 3 points, and on random knowledge questions you should be able to get 1 point.
Last edited by JustDroobles on February 24th, 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2013 Study Events”