Forestry B/C

135scioly
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by 135scioly » February 15th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Can anyone give some examples of recent forestry events that we might be asked about at regionals? Thanks!
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink » February 15th, 2013, 12:12 pm

I don't know of any except one that's midwest-relevant...but I'm not posting it publicly. I'll PM you.

135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly » February 15th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Skink wrote:I don't know of any except one that's midwest-relevant...but I'm not posting it publicly. I'll PM you.
Thanks Skink! So, I know that the american plum is usually fatter than both black cherry and chokecherry. And that black cherries have 12-16 vein pairs vs the chokecherries 8-11 vein pairs. But does anyone have any other ways to differentiate these three? They're very similar.

Thanks a lot!
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 » February 17th, 2013, 10:39 am

What are some good ways to study for this event? I'm working on flash cards right now, but are there any others that you can think of?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

kittybug65
Division: B
State: KS

Post by kittybug65 » February 18th, 2013, 6:13 pm

silverheart7 wrote:What are some good ways to study for this event? I'm working on flash cards right now, but are there any others that you can think of?
I read my field guides. I find that I then remember what I read during the test.
"Knowledge is power" Francis Bacon

2012:Awesome Aquifers(1st), Forestry(2nd), Disease Detectives(8th), Mission Possible (8th)
2013: Forestry(1st), Mission Possible(2nd), Heredity(1st), Exp. Design(1st),Shock Value (3th)

kittybug65
Division: B
State: KS

Post by kittybug65 » February 18th, 2013, 6:16 pm

135scioly wrote:Can anyone give some examples of recent forestry events that we might be asked about at regionals? Thanks!
We got a lot of questions about what the wood of certain trees are used for and diseases/parasites certain trees get.
"Knowledge is power" Francis Bacon

2012:Awesome Aquifers(1st), Forestry(2nd), Disease Detectives(8th), Mission Possible (8th)
2013: Forestry(1st), Mission Possible(2nd), Heredity(1st), Exp. Design(1st),Shock Value (3th)

Fluffycake
State: NV

Post by Fluffycake » February 19th, 2013, 9:48 am

silverheart7 wrote:What are some good ways to study for this event? I'm working on flash cards right now, but are there any others that you can think of?
Hello,

In my opinion, it may be helpful to type down the major morphological and ecological charecteristics of each and every species in the tree list. Most subjects will show increased memory when they type down/make notes of such charecteristics, even if they cannot use their typed down facts in the exam. If you are short on time/processing cycles, you can also reptitively read the tree guide. Most subjects will remember it if they read it enough times, though it is usually not as effective as taking notes.
For Science.

kalithepianist
State: AZ

Post by kalithepianist » February 22nd, 2013, 7:07 pm

Can someone please explain the difference between the Eastern Cottonwood and the Fremont Cottonwood? Still confused... :/ Thanks in advance.
derp

UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by UQOnyx » February 25th, 2013, 9:36 am

Hey, new to this thread. Does anyone know the difference between Carya tomentosa, and Carya alba? Both of them are Mockernut Hickory, and when I search google, the same results show for each one. Are they different names for the same tree?
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..

caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis » February 27th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Hello everyone!
What is the easiest way to tell the difference between Black Willow and Weeping Willow? I'm having a bit of trouble, and my event is looming. Thanks!
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “2013 Study Events”