Forestry B/C

zy__karen17
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Forestry B/C

Postby zy__karen17 » April 14th, 2013, 4:07 pm

I've seen more geared towards the west....

I personally really didn't like the New York State forestry test. It was two minutes per station, which is okay. There was a rapid ID station with eight ID's, which was fine.

NOT FINE:
-Directions unclear; some stations wanted scientific, some wanted common name
-Unclear specimens
-Creating a dichotomous key... For eight unidentified trees in two minutes
-Way too much random trivia, unrelated to the ID
-Reused questions from various invitationals, MARKED AS SUCH
-Some stations had ID by bark and flowers; we got it, but aren't we supposed to get a leaf for any ID?
-Drawing the leaf for one tree; I made my partner do it since my hands were shaking
In my opinion, I think one thing that I did not like was how on many questions/ID's, they did not specify if they wanted the common name or scientific name. However, I thought the random trivia was appropriate and the specimens were okay. The dichotomous key, on the other hand, was sort of ridiculous, especially given that we only had two minutes... The bark station also irked me and my partner. We were close to blind guessing on those questions. Overall, I thought the test was a suitable test.

caseyotis
Division: C

Postby caseyotis » April 14th, 2013, 4:10 pm

In my opinion, I think one thing that I did not like was how on many questions/ID's, they did not specify if they wanted the common name or scientific name. However, I thought the random trivia was appropriate and the specimens were okay. The dichotomous key, on the other hand, was sort of ridiculous, especially given that we only had two minutes... The bark station also irked me and my partner. We were close to blind guessing on those questions. Overall, I thought the test was a suitable test.
Oh; did you go to NY states? How did you do?

The random trivia wasn't appropriate to me... Having to ID two/three trees and answer two/three questions each in two minutes is borderline impossible (for me at least; or I'm just not experienced enough). >.> The bark was just like... What the hell?
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

silverheart7
Division: Grad

Postby silverheart7 » April 14th, 2013, 4:13 pm

My Sibley was a good guide and it got the job done, but it was NOT HELPFUL FOR BARK ID. I mean, the Audubon is practically geared towards thinkgs like bark, fruit, and cones, where as the Sibley was good for leaves.

I knew some of the trivia (like the one about the Eastern Redbud/Judas-tree) off of the top of my head, but some of them were so random and not in the Audubon. If we had to ID a tree and THEN answer trivia, I wouldn't have complained.

It could have been worse, but I just... can't really come up with many positives. I should stop complaining, since I got a bronze and Casey got 7th.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

caseyotis

Postby caseyotis » April 14th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Audubon is very helpful for bark, but I thought Sibley was too? When I dissected mine, there were good bark pictures for most trees. The problem I had with that guide is that all of the information is on one page, whereas with Audubon, you find the leaf first and then go to the info page.

I knew that one as well (I think, but I don't remember it on the test), as well as Hercules-club being the Devil's Walkingstick. There was one station entirely dedicated to the Pawpaw tree, and while the ID question was easy, I don't think one tree deserved a whole section.

Well, I can't come up with positives either. I'm sure we did well because everyone else did worse. It was somewhat luck-based and somewhat skill-based.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”

silverheart7

Postby silverheart7 » April 14th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Well, true. Sibley does have a lot of bark, but with the sepparated Audubon sections, ID would have been quicker.

I agree, it was highly luck-based. If you were lucky you had wood diagrams, as well as leaf diagrams on your notesheet. We had bark, but not leaf, so we basically stared at that station for two minuites. Also, you were lucky if you managed to finish a station, even if you were just guessing. The rapid ID was fair, especialy since the trees weren't too unfamiliar.

I found a positive, all of the trees we were tested on were on the list :)

Now to lean the Western trees...
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

caseyotis

Postby caseyotis » April 14th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Well, true. Sibley does have a lot of bark, but with the sepparated Audubon sections, ID would have been quicker.

I agree, it was highly luck-based. If you were lucky you had wood diagrams, as well as leaf diagrams on your notesheet. We had bark, but not leaf, so we basically stared at that station for two minuites. Also, you were lucky if you managed to finish a station, even if you were just guessing. The rapid ID was fair, especialy since the trees weren't too unfamiliar.

I found a positive, all of the trees we were tested on were on the list :)

Now to lean the Western trees...
The bark is with the leaf, which I found useful on the bark/leaf sections. :|

I didn't have either... However, look. http://images.tutorvista.com/content/fe ... ection.GIF
The answers are put twice, so on some of the ones that he covered, like waxy cuticle, he only covered once, although they were the same on both sides. xD I found that funny.

Ha, great positive. That's, like, the bare minimum!

Oh, good luck! :D
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”

silverheart7

Postby silverheart7 » April 14th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Thanks! I'm having difficulty shifting my mentality, though. There's a lot to learn, but I can do it!

Does anyone else have a little trouble telling the ashes apart, or is that just me?

caseyotis

Postby caseyotis » April 14th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Thanks! I'm having difficulty shifting my mentality, though. There's a lot to learn, but I can do it!

Does anyone else have a little trouble telling the ashes apart, or is that just me?
You can do it, you can do it, you can do it!

Gosh, I think everyone does. I know that there was one ash on the test, and I had no idea, and he said time up, and I just put Green Ash. >.>
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”

silverheart7

Postby silverheart7 » April 14th, 2013, 4:33 pm

Gosh, I think everyone does. I know that there was one ash on the test, and I had no idea, and he said time up, and I just put Green Ash. >.>
Thank you, sweetie!

Does anyone have tips on ash Identification, then?

zy__karen17
Division: B

Postby zy__karen17 » April 14th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Thank you, sweetie!

Does anyone have tips on ash Identification, then?
Well the only ashes on the NATS list are Green Ash, Oregon Ash, and Velvet Ash, which is good b/c white ash and green ash were practically indistinguishable.. -.- The oregon ash's leaflets are not stalked, while the green ash's are, and the velvet ash looks very distinctive :P

Return to “2013 Study Events”