crazyfloboe
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by crazyfloboe »

hotchocolate123 wrote:
crazyfloboe wrote:Oh I remember you! I was on the Riverwood team with the blonde hair ^.^ Great job by the way!
Thanks! You too! If I remember correctly station 19 had alternating simple leaves...or opposite, but it definitely wasn't compound.
Wait wasn't that the river birch or am I thinking the wrong station? I'm pretty sure we started on 19 and if that was the right station then yeah it was a river birch
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
waywardwind12
State: CA

Post by waywardwind12 »

Hey people who have taken the Nats test before, do you think that test writers would do evil things like putting on Fremont cottonwood / Eastern cottonwood or other trees that are practically impossible to tell apart except for by range?
Forestry: 2,3
Water Quality: 2,1
Forestry: 1,1,1
Water Quality: 5,1,4
Dynamic Planet: 2,6,15
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

waywardwind12 wrote:Hey people who have taken the Nats test before, do you think that test writers would do evil things like putting on Fremont cottonwood / Eastern cottonwood or other trees that are practically impossible to tell apart except for by range?
Well, I took the Division B test last year, but no, I do not. I think that Nationals test writers make sure the best teams are the teams that actually know their stuff, instead of having to guess.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
crazyfloboe

Post by crazyfloboe »

waywardwind12 wrote:Hey people who have taken the Nats test before, do you think that test writers would do evil things like putting on Fremont cottonwood / Eastern cottonwood or other trees that are practically impossible to tell apart except for by range?
I took it last year. Took me and my teammate 28 minutes and we placed 8th. They really just want to make sure you actually know what you're doing. But if they do put those trees, they're evil XD
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
Barker

Post by Barker »

It was a good fair test, lots of stations, lots of questions. Just try and get to the point at which you can pretty much snap to what genus it is and spend most of your time on the questions
TREES!
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

The forestry test at Nats was incredibly hard...I believe it was 105 questions (21 stations, 5 questions per station), and 2 minutes per station. Also, it seemed like every other tree was a pine/hemlock/cedar...we probably left half of the test blank and still got 20th.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

I came out of forestry fine, but then cried in the team room. I felt so devastated, since I felt like I comletely screwed the team over by failing the test and getting in the bottom 1/2 of teams. I caused so much craziness... Over 14th place. I was so amazed when I got the scoresheet, and my partner was like, "I told you we were in the top 15!" When I heard kids talking about how easy it was, I got freaked out by the fact that we didn't finish one station...

Did anyone catch the tamarack (eastern larch)? My partner, did, I wouldn't have. I'm still not sure how they managed to dry and glue a larch to a piece of paper....?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
CulturallyScientific

Post by CulturallyScientific »

silverheart7 wrote:I'm still not sure how they managed to dry and glue a larch to a piece of paper....?
Leaf preservation is fairly simple. Most likely, the specimen you saw at Nats was pressed (between pages of a book, or otherwise), then glued with special glue... or lightly rubber-cemented onto the piece of paper. However, leaf pressing can be deceptively easy and actually, quite challenging, especially when you factor in moisture, temperature, irregular leaf shapes (3D-wise) and possibilities of insect attacks, mold infestations, discoloring, etc.
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

But it was funny, because the way it was glued was intended to show the 'tufts' of a larch, but it was somewhat misleading. I don't really know how to explain it...

I'm really going to miss this event :cry:
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
CulturallyScientific

Post by CulturallyScientific »

silverheart7 wrote: I'm really going to miss this event :cry:
I'll have to agree with you on that one... I don't think I've ever loved an event as much as Forestry out of all of the 11 events I've ever tried! (Of course, other than Water Quality, though... it's a very, very close second.)
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)

Return to “2013 Study Events”