Forestry B/C

waywardwind12
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by waywardwind12 »

silverheart7 wrote:At Wright State, I got a sample of an Ailanthus (Tree of Heaven), and I was thrilled. I'm a bit of a forestry nerd, since it's my dream career :D If anyone else went on the nature tour,you should have said hi to me :) I was the Asian girl from Gelinas with long, dark hair. I got a few really nice specimens of different trees, but then my forestry partner murdered them (or something). I asked him to hold onto them over night. I assumed he knew to press them or at leat keep them moist so they wouldn't wilt, but they were 100% dead the next morning... Oh well :|
Oh wow my partner and I did the exact same with the leaf collection and pressing! XD. Where'd you find the Ailanthus? I just want to find out just how much they smell :P By any chance did you go around the creek? We went there and saw so many different trees including my favorite eastern oak, the chinkapin!
@Fuel Thanks so much! I am so honored to have won and I hope I'll get to be one of the testwriters next time the event comes around :D Also, I think the tree you're talking about is the sassafras? They gave an unlobed leaf and it was kind of oblovate
Forestry: 2,3
Water Quality: 2,1
Forestry: 1,1,1
Water Quality: 5,1,4
Dynamic Planet: 2,6,15
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

@wayward Congratulations! It was near the entrance to the nature preserve/trail. A pretty high branch, I wouldn't have seen/gotten it if the tour guide didn't point it out and my partner wasn't taller than I was. It is sort of a subtle penut butter smell, but it's definetely detectable. I was so excited to see an actual sample, that I was disappointed when a) my partner murdered it and b) it wasn't on the test :(
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
FueL

Post by FueL »

waywardwind12 wrote:@Fuel Thanks so much! I am so honored to have won and I hope I'll get to be one of the testwriters next time the event comes around :D Also, I think the tree you're talking about is the sassafras? They gave an unlobed leaf and it was kind of oblovate
ohh, that makes a lot of sense. just out of curiosity, not that it matters, what field guides did you guys use?

haha my partner and I went to the botanical gardens in NYC and might have taken a couple samples from there ;) we stored a lot of them in our sibley for the day and now the pages have a nice tree smell to them.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
zerasaw
State: OH

Post by zerasaw »

Yeah, I really hate when people disrespect your specimens. I have a whole book (a photo album) full of smallish leaves, and one day my brother tried to take it. I made sure that he learned his lesson.
Life List: 373 (last Common Redpoll, Lorain Impoundment, Lorain County, OH)
Bird I Desperately Want to See: Eastern Whip-poor-will
waywardwind12
State: CA

Post by waywardwind12 »

@Fuel I used Sibley and National Wildlife Federation, both excellent guides
Forestry: 2,3
Water Quality: 2,1
Forestry: 1,1,1
Water Quality: 5,1,4
Dynamic Planet: 2,6,15
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

waywardwind12 wrote:@Fuel I used Sibley and National Wildlife Federation, both excellent guides
Don't leave out the Audubon guide! Of the three, it's really just personal preference.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Barker
State: TX

Post by Barker »

For anyone who will be missing Forestry next year, I would highly reccomend reading "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston, it is really cool and trey
TREES!
Wanttoget1st
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Wanttoget1st »

If anyone is still on this...I couldn't find an entomology forum, so I'll just post my question here:

Do we have to know every single species from each of of the 29 insect orders?? (i.e. protura, collembola, diptura,---of course, those are orders--- etc.) :?:

Thanks if anyone can answer!!
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

Most likely, there will be an official list of the insects we need to study... With that said, I wasn't around for the last rotation, so I wouldn't know.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Wanttoget1st wrote:If anyone is still on this...I couldn't find an entomology forum, so I'll just post my question here:

Do we have to know every single species from each of of the 29 insect orders?? (i.e. protura, collembola, diptura,---of course, those are orders--- etc.) :?:

Thanks if anyone can answer!!
Bwahahaha, species? pigeon no. Genera, maybe. That's just my guess, though. There are way too many species to do in an event. xD
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “2013 Study Events”