Forestry B/C

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by silverheart7 »

Barker wrote:I'm glad someone can coherently describe small differences in leaf shapes as when ever I try doing it it I always end up using elaborate hand gestures and strange noises and people just walk away giving me a strange look...
That's exactly me everytime I try to teach forestry... Anyway, how do you guys study? Flash cards? Tests? Practice in the field? A combination of these?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
DazzlingMer
Division: C
State: MN

Post by DazzlingMer »

silverheart7 wrote:
Barker wrote:I'm glad someone can coherently describe small differences in leaf shapes as when ever I try doing it it I always end up using elaborate hand gestures and strange noises and people just walk away giving me a strange look...
That's exactly me everytime I try to teach forestry... Anyway, how do you guys study? Flash cards? Tests? Practice in the field? A combination of these?
Our mentor made us a combo of practice test powerpoints and then giving us information in detail. We've recently gotten into tree jeopardy though! Fun as all get out!
The EARTH without ART is just EH...
Bungee [13/x/x/x/6]
WIDI [2/x/6/2/2]
Circuit Lab [x/x/x/5/x]

State Champ. Forestry 2012
Regional Champ. Forestry 2013
State Runner-Up Forestry 2013
Regional Runner-up WIDI 2014
State Runner-up WIDI 2014
JuiceBagel3

Post by JuiceBagel3 »

Haha I'm going to have to write that down! Thank you so much!
Columbia High School
Events: Water Quality, Glaciers, Rocks and Minerals, Forestry
ThePrudentGuava
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

Is it unusual for the state tree list to be a tree guide book because I emailed the OK state director and it is "Forest Trees of Oklahoma: how to know them". Is this odd to anyone?
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

ThePrudentGuava wrote:Is it unusual for the state tree list to be a tree guide book because I emailed the OK state director and it is "Forest Trees of Oklahoma: how to know them". Is this odd to anyone?
That's a terrible idea, because by bringing in the book, you instantly have infinite knowledge.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
ThePrudentGuava
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

caseyotis wrote:
ThePrudentGuava wrote:Is it unusual for the state tree list to be a tree guide book because I emailed the OK state director and it is "Forest Trees of Oklahoma: how to know them". Is this odd to anyone?
That's a terrible idea, because by bringing in the book, you instantly have infinite knowledge.
and the ones that I can find are from around 1970-80, so I'm thinking that it might be outdated. But then again, trees don't change a lot.
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Well, if they only will use trees in that book, you would still need to learn to identify them. I agree though, it does seem rather odd.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I just noticed, that on the bottom of the second page of the New York tree list, that it states that the questions are based on Audubon and NWF...
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
PicturePerfect
State: CA

Post by PicturePerfect »

silverheart7 wrote:I just noticed, that on the bottom of the second page of the New York tree list, that it states that the questions are based on Audubon and NWF...
Huh.

~
How do you learn all the stuff about which pests/diseases are harmful to a certain species of plant, and how the Native Americans used it? My partner and I were asked quite a few questions of this type at the invitational we attended... And we had to guess on most of them.
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
Gemma W

Post by Gemma W »

PicturePerfect wrote: How do you learn all the stuff about which pests/diseases are harmful to a certain species of plant, and how the Native Americans used it? My partner and I were asked quite a few questions of this type at the invitational we attended... And we had to guess on most of them.
You can write that stuff in your guides, that way you'll have it to reference at competition even if you don't have it all memorized. A lot of times they have some stuff like that already in the guides, but my partner and I spent most of the bus ride to competition last year on Wikipedia, frantically noting down anything we thought could be useful.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI

Return to “2013 Study Events”