Forestry B/C

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by silverheart7 »

I know about distinguishing pines using needles per bundle, bark, and cone, but do you guys have any more reccommenadtions for telling some of the more similar trees apart?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
OldSpice
Division: C

Post by OldSpice »

135scioly wrote:
melissay63 wrote:
PacificGoldenPlover wrote:You are allowed to write an unlimited amount in your field guides. It does not count as written notes.
But in the rules under event parameter: "...up to two commercially published resources that may be annotated and tabbed (limit 3 words)"
Yes, but that's if you put tabs, I thought you could write whatever you wanted in your field guides.

EDIT: "tabs" as in those sticky things you can buy, or like post-its
Yeah that's what I thought. I've been writing all over my field guide.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
PicturePerfect
State: CA

Post by PicturePerfect »

rtunnel97 wrote:
PicturePerfect wrote:
rtunnel97 wrote:When the rules say two two-sided pages of information, does this mean we get two double sided pages of notes and the state tree list? or is the state tree list not provided?
I mean Ill have the names of all the trees on my two double sided pages of notes but this would be something i think i need to know. thanks in advance!

Whatever you put on your two double sided pages of notes, and nothing else. Well, besides your 2 tabbed books. And you. And a pencil.

Alright thank you. What kind of information are you guys putting on your cheat sheet? I was thinking about doing interesting facts, do you guys think that would be helpful? It's kind of hard to put identification clues and stuff because you don't have enough time to read through your cheat sheet for something like that? In not sure though, help please!
What kind of 'interesting facts'? If you mean how the tree got its common name, or what diseases/pests are damaging to it, then yes, those are very useful. I can't think of any other types of interesting facts. :P I mean, Native American usage of it or what birds/animals consume parts of a tree aren't what most people call interesting, although you do need to know that.

As for identification clues, the Audubon guides have a few pages in the front where it gives you a leaf group (ex. needle-leaf conifers or scale-leaf conifers, etc.) and then tells you what families of trees have that leaf shape, and gives you a small image of the typical leaf shapes of that family. Um.. Did that make sense? :P
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

In my state, they changed the rules so that we're allowed to have a binder and ONE field guide. I'm using the Eastern Audubon guide as my field guide, but do you have recommendations for good resources to put in the binders?
Last edited by pikachu4919 on January 7th, 2013, 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

For my two field guides, I was considering using the Sibley Field Guide, and the NWF guide, but do you guys think it would be better to take the Audubon instead since the tree list is based off of it?
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
FueL

Post by FueL »

135scioly wrote:For my two field guides, I was considering using the Sibley Field Guide, and the NWF guide, but do you guys think it would be better to take the Audubon instead since the tree list is based off of it?
Imo no because the Sibley is amazing for ID, the NWF is amazing for facts, while the Audubon is good for neither.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

135scioly wrote:For my two field guides, I was considering using the Sibley Field Guide, and the NWF guide, but do you guys think it would be better to take the Audubon instead since the tree list is based off of it?
I highly recommend bringing Audubon instead of Sibley's; last year I brought Sibley's + Audubon and Sibley's did diddlysquat; I only used Audubon and got in 1st. This year I'm doing Audubon + NWF, which I didn't have last year.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

Haha, I still don't know which one is better... I did notice that the NWF doesn't have frosted hawthorn, but I think missing one tree is ok for a field guide since the other one has it.

Caseyotis, I did the same thing last year except Sibley helped a lot more for me than I guess it did for you. I would have to agree with FueL and I think I'll take the NWF and Sibley, thanks you guys! :D
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
PicturePerfect
State: CA

Post by PicturePerfect »

pikachu4919 wrote:In my state, they changed the rules so that we're allowed to have a binder and ONE field guide. I'm using the Eastern Audubon guide as my field guide, but do you have recommendations for good resources to put in the binders?
I would put info on trees that are only found in the Western Audubon guide, as well as for every tree on the list:
1. The commercial use (ex. used to build fences, etc.)
2. Diseases/pests that damage it
3. What parts of it may be used in medicine
4. Relationships with animals in its natural habitat or relationships with livestock
5. Native American usage of it

And stuff like that.
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

alczha wrote:
butter side up wrote:
alczha wrote:For division C, do we need to know how trees carry out specific functions such as the Calvin cycle?
I have seen some general questions about xylem, phloem, basic tree anatomy... but I've never seen anything as detailed as the Calvin cycle being asked.
Oh good. I was planning on learning the Calvin cycle and such; now I don't have to. :)

In regards to the note sheet, are we allowed to type them, or do they have to be handwritten?
They can be typed, and can contain pictures, diagrams, doodles of cats, whatever you think might be helpful.
What I would recommend, based on past experience, is vocab that isn't in the glossary, and some shortcuts for IDing trees that you find difficult to distinguish between. We have a list of the similar-looking pines by needles per bundle, along with defining characteristics, for example.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives

Return to “2013 Study Events”