Disease Detectives B/C

MaddieEinstein
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by MaddieEinstein »

I went on to soinc.org and I was dismayed at the terrible search engine. Is there any specific suggestions you guys have to type into the search engine because I found nothing.
"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect."
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

What were you trying to find? I typed in "Disease Detectives" and stuff came up. If you're looking for more specific things relating to the rules, then you should either use the links soinc lists, or just use Google and find what you need.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

MaddieEinstein wrote:I went on to soinc.org and I was dismayed at the terrible search engine. Is there any specific suggestions you guys have to type into the search engine because I found nothing.
Event Info-->Division B Events-->Disease Detectives

I've been doing this for years and never even really realized the National site HAD a search bar. Anyways, the page is populated with links, and the PowerPoint there should prove helpful to you as a start. For more information, Wikipedia is an appropriate resource as well as past tests to get an idea what they look like (try the Test Exchange on this site). If you have specific questions, the posters here can help you.
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

I would like to organize a Wiki help day for this event in two weeks. If you are interested, please PM me, and I'll try to find you a job.
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Sorry for double posting, but I've decided to cancel the Wiki help day. Still feel free to edit the Wiki, though!
Nerdy One
Division: B

Post by Nerdy One »

The one and only reason disease detectives presents any challenge whatsoever is because the topics are so broad and can go in virtually any direction. As I see it, the best way to tackle this one is to have a spread-out knowledge base. Try to know a little about everything, rather than trying to memorize everything about a small range of the included topics. But keep in mind, you're taking this from someone who did not medal in this event at the state level last year. :oops: So???? you try doing NAL nationals, dance, the school musical, and 4 science olympiad events at the same time! There were three practices I was supposed to be at directly after school for 3 hours every day! and unfortunately, I am not Hermione granger (despite our many similarities) and my request for a time turner was denied. but i did pretty well at all of the above, considering. :)
Last edited by Nerdy One on December 31st, 2012, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nerd is not just a four-letter word. It is a future six-digit salary.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

deezee wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:No. A case study is a study of a single case - i.e., one patient. They are usually only done on extremely interesting or unusual patients, and are only of use in epidemiology in the aggregate and for poorly understood conditions. What did you see on your test?
I thought a case study was simply a broad term that encompasses cohort, case control, cross-sectional, etc.
That is not correct. A case study is a study of a single functional unit, which generally means one person. I believe the term you are thinking of is "study."
Parallelism
State: NJ

Post by Parallelism »

Hello all,

My regional tournament is coming up in about a week, yet I am still unsure about one section of the rules.

If we look at section "f", subsection four, it says that we should be able to recognize "types of outbreaks and modes of transmission."

Can anyone clarify what a "type of outbreak" is? Does that mean point source or something of that nature, or something entirely different?

Thanks for the help.
twirlfs
State: OH

Post by twirlfs »

Parallelism wrote:Hello all,

My regional tournament is coming up in about a week, yet I am still unsure about one section of the rules.

If we look at section "f", subsection four, it says that we should be able to recognize "types of outbreaks and modes of transmission."

Can anyone clarify what a "type of outbreak" is? Does that mean point source or something of that nature, or something entirely different?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, types of outbreaks include point source. Check out this website

https://wiki.ecdc.europa.eu/fem/w/wiki/ ... break.aspx

^^with these outbreak types, make sure you can recognize them on epicurve histograms.

There are multiple types of transmission, such as airborne or direct contact. Check out these websites:

http://www.rch.org.au/washup/for_health ... nsmission/

http://quizlet.com/3395535/infectious-d ... ash-cards/

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do awesome! Message me if you need anymore help! :)
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

Parallelism wrote:Hello all,

Thanks for the help.
In addition, there're the different levels of outbreaks, such as epidemics and pandemics. This is more under the vocab section, but still related.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

Return to “2013 Study Events”