Disease Detectives B/C

isaysroar
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by isaysroar »

Thanks and does anyone have any good resources for different study designs in depth?
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd
havenguy
Division: Grad

Post by havenguy »

Sorry, this isn't in-depth, but it gives you a great understanding of how these studies are related and a basic overview of the study. Othewise, the scioly wiki gets this one pretty good. I believe this is from the Excite Disease Glossary:

Analytic Study a study, usually observational, in which groups are compared to identify and quantify associations, test hypotheses, and identify causes.

Observational Study a study in which the investigator observes rather than influences exposure and disease among participants.

Cohort study an observational analytic study in which enrollment is based on status of exposure to a certain factor or membership in a certain group. Populations are followed, and disease, death, or other health-related outcomes are documented and compared.

Cross-sectional study a study in which a sample of persons from a population are enrolled and their exposures and health outcomes are measured simultaneously; a survey.

Case-control study an observational analytic study that enrolls one group of persons with a certain disease, chronic condition, or type of injury (case-patients) and a group of persons without the health problem (control subjects) and compares differences in exposures, behaviors, and other characteristics to identify and quantify associations, test hypotheses, and identify causes.

Experimental study a study in which the investigator specifies the type of exposure for each person (clinical trial) or community (community trial) then follows the persons' or communities' health status to determine the effects of the exposure.

Prospective study an analytic study in which participants are enrolled before the health outcome of interest has occurred.

Retrospective study an analytic study in which participants are enrolled after the health outcome of interest has occurred.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
isaysroar

Post by isaysroar »

Thanks! I actually found more information about them extracted from an old Disease Detectives test. I will be posting them on this forum soon. :D
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd
Whoppers
State: TX

Post by Whoppers »

I was recently looking at the events for next year at: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -17-13.pdf

And I saw that it still said Environmental Quality next to Disease Detectives. Does that mean that is still what the emphasis is going to be on next year?
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Whoppers wrote:I was recently looking at the events for next year at: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -17-13.pdf

And I saw that it still said Environmental Quality next to Disease Detectives. Does that mean that is still what the emphasis is going to be on next year?
Yes, Disease Detectives topics seem to run for 2 years each.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
SciolySwami
Division: B

Post by SciolySwami »

Actually the websites recommended by soinc.org are really great. If you learn all about asbestos exposure, lung cancer, summer smog, etc. you will do well. :)
CaRoLyN_s
State: MD

Post by CaRoLyN_s »

I have a question, did anyone else at nationals think that the numbers to calculate the odds ratio/ relative risk were really difficult to find on the disease detectives test? My partner and I could find almost no data for the 2x2 tables. :roll:
2014 Events:
Disease Detectives
Sounds of Music
Meteorology
Simple Machines
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

CaRoLyN_s wrote:I have a question, did anyone else at nationals think that the numbers to calculate the odds ratio/ relative risk were really difficult to find on the disease detectives test? My partner and I could find almost no data for the 2x2 tables. :roll:
I can only speak for the half of the div C test that I did, but on that one there were also almost no simple 2x2 tables. The test-writers seem to be driving for increased use of critical thinking and and ability to read data, not just simple applications of the formulas.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
hpfananu
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

Infinity Flat wrote:
CaRoLyN_s wrote:I have a question, did anyone else at nationals think that the numbers to calculate the odds ratio/ relative risk were really difficult to find on the disease detectives test? My partner and I could find almost no data for the 2x2 tables. :roll:
I can only speak for the half of the div C test that I did, but on that one there were also almost no simple 2x2 tables. The test-writers seem to be driving for increased use of critical thinking and and ability to read data, not just simple applications of the formulas.
Did you do the half with the WTC or the Football? The one with the WTC had some 2x2 tables I think but they were a little difficult for sure. Did you guys get the questions regarding how the risk would change if xxx happened to the people? That section made me feeling really unsure after taking that test but it ended up being okay I guess.
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
CaRoLyN_s
State: MD

Post by CaRoLyN_s »

hpfananu wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
Did you do the half with the WTC or the Football? The one with the WTC had some 2x2 tables I think but they were a little difficult for sure. Did you guys get the questions regarding how the risk would change if xxx happened to the people? That section made me feeling really unsure after taking that test but it ended up being okay I guess.
I had the portion of the test w/ the WTC, i was soooo confused about it
2014 Events:
Disease Detectives
Sounds of Music
Meteorology
Simple Machines

Return to “2013 Study Events”