Disease Detectives B/C

MathGeek22
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by MathGeek22 »

honeybunchesofoats wrote:A substance, host, or area in which an infectious agent normally lives and reproduces
Is it reservoir?

Personal characteristics (age, sex, health) behavior or lifestyle including diet, an environment exposure, or a family trait (genetic) that might cause or add to a health problem.
2013 Events: Regional scores
Disease Detectives - 4
Food Science - 6
Road Scholar - 5
Sounds of Music - 1

Favorite Events: (highest place)
Storm the Castle - (1 at regionals and 3 at states)
Sounds of Music - (1 at regionals)
Road Scholar - (3 at regionals)
Can't Judge a Powder - (2 at states)
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

Okay so I set up a binder by just printing out the handouts and practice things (it's small), and I'm going nowhere with it. I have just a small clue of what I need to do but no way to know how to do it. For example, I can't find any way to go into specifics with the 10-step method mentioned in the handout. I don't know exactly how to research a disease and even get started on something as easy as a sample tournament.

EDIT: This isn't me, it's my brother using my account...
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
silverheart7
Division: Grad

Post by silverheart7 »

caseyotis wrote:Okay so I set up a binder by just printing out the handouts and practice things (it's small), and I'm going nowhere with it. I have just a small clue of what I need to do but no way to know how to do it. For example, I can't find any way to go into specifics with the 10-step method mentioned in the handout. I don't know exactly how to research a disease and even get started on something as easy as a sample tournament.

Well, to research a disease, start with:

-the type of pathogen
-scientific name
-symptoms
-typical incubation period
-method of transmission
-famous outbreaks caused by this disease

You can't really go into depth with the ten-step method, or so I've found, but you should understand the basics of what each step entails.

Mastering the calculations and having a through understanding of vocabulary is extremely important. Learn to read epicurves, too. Once you have an understanding of the vocab, graphs, and general epidemiology, you could try a Disease Detectives Test Exchange 2013

P.S. I did this back in the food bourne illness topic, so the way to reseach diseases may not apply this year.
P.P.S. Hi Casey's brother! I'll see you at states :D
P.P.P.S. Sorry if that sounded creepy!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
isaysroar

Post by isaysroar »

Well I even had a bicycle epidemic problem before. Pretty weird. No idea how it relates to environmental factors. I thought environmental factors meant air-borne or other indirect transmissions.
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd
stephritz929

Post by stephritz929 »

The way I've approached the event this year is that Environmental is anything that isn't biological could be considered environmental. Check out the Training Handout...it's got loads of subtopics and that's how my partner and I have been studying. Just take each subtopic, and research as much as possible. Anything in the environment that could inflict conflict within your perosn ;p, could be considered environmental in my book.
Without motivation, what is success?
2012:
Regionals, States
Compute This: 14, 9
Disease Detectives: 3, 10
Team: 1, 7

2013:
Regionals, States
Crime Busters: 2, ?
Disease Detectives: 5, 5
Forestry: 2, ?
Helicopters: 9, ?
Team: 5, 3
EAtBaNAna
Division: B

Post by EAtBaNAna »

silverheart7 wrote:
caseyotis wrote:Okay so I set up a binder by just printing out the handouts and practice things (it's small), and I'm going nowhere with it. I have just a small clue of what I need to do but no way to know how to do it. For example, I can't find any way to go into specifics with the 10-step method mentioned in the handout. I don't know exactly how to research a disease and even get started on something as easy as a sample tournament.

Well, to research a disease, start with:

-the type of pathogen
-scientific name
-symptoms
-typical incubation period
-method of transmission
-famous outbreaks caused by this disease

You can't really go into depth with the ten-step method, or so I've found, but you should understand the basics of what each step entails.

Mastering the calculations and having a through understanding of vocabulary is extremely important. Learn to read epicurves, too. Once you have an understanding of the vocab, graphs, and general epidemiology, you could try a Disease Detectives Test Exchange 2013

P.S. I did this back in the food bourne illness topic, so the way to reseach diseases may not apply this year.
P.P.S. Hi Casey's brother! I'll see you at states :D
P.P.P.S. Sorry if that sounded creepy!
Sounds perfect, thanks. See you at states! :D
EDIT: For researching the disease, if there is a case that doesn't say the specific pathogen (food poisoning, for example), by researching the disease should I come up with a list of possible pathogens (E. coli, etc.)?
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

isaysroar wrote:Nope. Randomized Controlled Trial Study.

What is the severity of disease that the agent causes to host?
Actually, InfinityFlat was not really wrong. It is only an RCT if it is randomized and controlled, and you didn't say that it was. Technically studies that aren't RCTs are called quasi-experiments, but not consitently enough to rely on.
Infinity Flat wrote:
strawberrygirl wrote:What is the transfer of an agent from a reservoir to a host by suspended air particles, inanimate objects, or animate intermediaries?
Mode of Transmission

The spectrum of circumstances that set the stage for illness or disease outbreak.
This one is wrong, though. I believe strawberrygirl was looking for indirect transmission - although droplet transmission can be considered either. Sometimes an arbitrary 1-meter rule is used: within 1 meter, droplet transmission can be considered direct (i.e., I sneeze in your mouth); beyond 1 meter it is indirect. Some people make a third category of "airborne" to avoid the issue.
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

Flavorflav wrote:
isaysroar wrote:Nope. Randomized Controlled Trial Study.

What is the severity of disease that the agent causes to host?
Actually, InfinityFlat was not really wrong. It is only an RCT if it is randomized and controlled, and you didn't say that it was. Technically studies that aren't RCTs are called quasi-experiments, but not consitently enough to rely on.
Infinity Flat wrote:
strawberrygirl wrote:What is the transfer of an agent from a reservoir to a host by suspended air particles, inanimate objects, or animate intermediaries?
Mode of Transmission

The spectrum of circumstances that set the stage for illness or disease outbreak.
This one is wrong, though. I believe strawberrygirl was looking for indirect transmission - although droplet transmission can be considered either. Sometimes an arbitrary 1-meter rule is used: within 1 meter, droplet transmission can be considered direct (i.e., I sneeze in your mouth); beyond 1 meter it is indirect. Some people make a third category of "airborne" to avoid the issue.
Flavorflav is very much right here - I didn't actually read strawberrygirl's post very careful. Good points on the droplet transmission, though I'd say that if a test asks you to match it to direct or indirect, I would go with direct, just because that's how it's listed in the training handout / ppt.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
EAtBaNAna
Division: B

Post by EAtBaNAna »

erm...

So i'm just wondering which diseases we have to know for the event. i did a sample tournament and it said "Cyclosporiasis is this type of pathogen: ___." So... is there a specific list of diseases and pathogens that we can use?
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

EAtBaNAna wrote:erm...

So i'm just wondering which diseases we have to know for the event. i did a sample tournament and it said "Cyclosporiasis is this type of pathogen: ___." So... is there a specific list of diseases and pathogens that we can use?
I've been asked a lot of diseases, including cyclosporiasis and other weird protozoa like Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. No, there is no comprehensive list.

This would be a good place to start: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... st2012.pdf
Also, I found this quizlet online a couple of weeks ago: http://quizlet.com/3607793/science-olym ... ash-cards/
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

Return to “2013 Study Events”