Disease Detectives B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
silverheart7
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by silverheart7 »

The topic is Environmental Quality, right? Does anyone know of any good books, websites, or other resources for this year?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

silverheart7 wrote:The topic is Environmental Quality, right? Does anyone know of any good books, websites, or other resources for this year?
Honestly, everything on the soinc page is really excellent. Go through everything there and you will be golden.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Willows
Division: C

Post by Willows »

Infinity Flat wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:The topic is Environmental Quality, right? Does anyone know of any good books, websites, or other resources for this year?
Honestly, everything on the soinc page is really excellent. Go through everything there and you will be golden.
No, not really. They haven't updated the page with 2013 info yet.
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

Willows wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
No, not really. They haven't updated the page with 2013 info yet.
From the page:

Ecology of Increasing Disease: Population Growth and Environmental Degradation
National Center for Environmental Health

Those should contain more than enough information to go through while they continue to update for the 2013 topic.

In addition, the general epidemiology resources and especially those on bias and confounding are also very useful, even if you're already quite familiar with the event.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Thanks so much! I'm really excited for this year. Hopefully it won't make me as paranoid as last year's did ;)
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

cdc.gov is also a great resource. You can just look under "environmental problems" and such to find info.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
piisamazing
State: NM

Post by piisamazing »

Today me and my partner were in English class, and on a question one of the answer choices was a list of different diseases: Black plague, Scarlet fever, Rocky Mountain fever, malaria, and West Nile virus. Instantly we got excited about the diseases, and started talking about how cool Rocky Mountain fever is.
My common sense is the voice in the back of my head named Donald
Because no one listens to anyone named Donald???
EXACTLY!!!

Nemo spelt backwards is OMEN!!!!!
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
2win
State: TX

Post by 2win »

Where in the rules does it say that the topic is environmental quality? In part d of number 3, they list food poisoning, West Nile and state data on bicycle injuries.... (I could be misunderstanding something because this is my first year for the event...)

edit: forget the above, sorry, that was really stupid.... >.> um, but have you guys been finding state data on bicycle injuries?
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

2win wrote:Where in the rules does it say that the topic is environmental quality? In part d of number 3, they list food poisoning, West Nile and state data on bicycle injuries.... (I could be misunderstanding something because this is my first year for the event...)

edit: forget the above, sorry, that was really stupid.... >.> um, but have you guys been finding state data on bicycle injuries?
That's not something you need to study yourself, but rather an example of a data set you might be asked to interpret at competition. The tools of epidemiology can be used to analyze a wide range of problems and events, with food poisoning, West Nile, and bicycle injuries examples of things that fall within the field of study.
(State, Nationals)

Return to “2013 Study Events”