Disease Detectives B/C

User avatar
MathGeek22
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: February 19th, 2013, 2:10 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Somewhere where people live in houses and under bridges. Aka. East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby MathGeek22 » March 22nd, 2013, 4:06 pm

honeybunchesofoats wrote:A substance, host, or area in which an infectious agent normally lives and reproduces

Is it reservoir?

Personal characteristics (age, sex, health) behavior or lifestyle including diet, an environment exposure, or a family trait (genetic) that might cause or add to a health problem.
2013 Events: Regional scores
Disease Detectives - 4
Food Science - 6
Road Scholar - 5
Sounds of Music - 1

Favorite Events: (highest place)
Storm the Castle - (1 at regionals and 3 at states)
Sounds of Music - (1 at regionals)
Road Scholar - (3 at regionals)
Can't Judge a Powder - (2 at states)

User avatar
caseyotis
Member
Member
Posts: 680
Joined: October 25th, 2012, 7:53 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ithaca, NY, studying.
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby caseyotis » March 24th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Okay so I set up a binder by just printing out the handouts and practice things (it's small), and I'm going nowhere with it. I have just a small clue of what I need to do but no way to know how to do it. For example, I can't find any way to go into specifics with the 10-step method mentioned in the handout. I don't know exactly how to research a disease and even get started on something as easy as a sample tournament.

EDIT: This isn't me, it's my brother using my account...
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

silverheart7
Member
Member
Posts: 392
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Dancing in the Rain
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby silverheart7 » March 24th, 2013, 5:35 pm

caseyotis wrote:Okay so I set up a binder by just printing out the handouts and practice things (it's small), and I'm going nowhere with it. I have just a small clue of what I need to do but no way to know how to do it. For example, I can't find any way to go into specifics with the 10-step method mentioned in the handout. I don't know exactly how to research a disease and even get started on something as easy as a sample tournament.

EDIT: This isn't me, it's my brother using my account...
Well, to research a disease, start with:

-the type of pathogen
-scientific name
-symptoms
-typical incubation period
-method of transmission
-famous outbreaks caused by this disease

You can't really go into depth with the ten-step method, or so I've found, but you should understand the basics of what each step entails.

Mastering the calculations and having a through understanding of vocabulary is extremely important. Learn to read epicurves, too. Once you have an understanding of the vocab, graphs, and general epidemiology, you could try a Disease Detectives Test Exchange 2013

P.S. I did this back in the food bourne illness topic, so the way to reseach diseases may not apply this year.
P.P.S. Hi Casey's brother! I'll see you at states :D
P.P.P.S. Sorry if that sounded creepy!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Student Coach, Paul J. Gelinas Science Olympiad <3

isaysroar
Member
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 6:22 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby isaysroar » March 24th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Well I even had a bicycle epidemic problem before. Pretty weird. No idea how it relates to environmental factors. I thought environmental factors meant air-borne or other indirect transmissions.
2013
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

stephritz929
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: March 21st, 2012, 3:16 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby stephritz929 » March 24th, 2013, 6:22 pm

The way I've approached the event this year is that Environmental is anything that isn't biological could be considered environmental. Check out the Training Handout...it's got loads of subtopics and that's how my partner and I have been studying. Just take each subtopic, and research as much as possible. Anything in the environment that could inflict conflict within your perosn ;p, could be considered environmental in my book.
Without motivation, what is success?
2012:
Regionals, States
Compute This: 14, 9
Disease Detectives: 3, 10
Team: 1, 7

2013:
Regionals, States
Crime Busters: 2, ?
Disease Detectives: 5, 5
Forestry: 2, ?
Helicopters: 9, ?
Team: 5, 3

EAtBaNAna
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: October 31st, 2012, 8:55 am
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby EAtBaNAna » March 25th, 2013, 10:13 am

silverheart7 wrote:
caseyotis wrote:Okay so I set up a binder by just printing out the handouts and practice things (it's small), and I'm going nowhere with it. I have just a small clue of what I need to do but no way to know how to do it. For example, I can't find any way to go into specifics with the 10-step method mentioned in the handout. I don't know exactly how to research a disease and even get started on something as easy as a sample tournament.

EDIT: This isn't me, it's my brother using my account...
Well, to research a disease, start with:

-the type of pathogen
-scientific name
-symptoms
-typical incubation period
-method of transmission
-famous outbreaks caused by this disease

You can't really go into depth with the ten-step method, or so I've found, but you should understand the basics of what each step entails.




Mastering the calculations and having a through understanding of vocabulary is extremely important. Learn to read epicurves, too. Once you have an understanding of the vocab, graphs, and general epidemiology, you could try a Disease Detectives Test Exchange 2013

P.S. I did this back in the food bourne illness topic, so the way to reseach diseases may not apply this year.
P.P.S. Hi Casey's brother! I'll see you at states :D
P.P.P.S. Sorry if that sounded creepy!


Sounds perfect, thanks. See you at states! :D
EDIT: For researching the disease, if there is a case that doesn't say the specific pathogen (food poisoning, for example), by researching the disease should I come up with a list of possible pathogens (E. coli, etc.)?
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!

Flavorflav
Member
Member
Posts: 1335
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 7:06 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Flavorflav » April 2nd, 2013, 9:14 am

isaysroar wrote:Nope. Randomized Controlled Trial Study.

What is the severity of disease that the agent causes to host?

Actually, InfinityFlat was not really wrong. It is only an RCT if it is randomized and controlled, and you didn't say that it was. Technically studies that aren't RCTs are called quasi-experiments, but not consitently enough to rely on.
Infinity Flat wrote:
strawberrygirl wrote:What is the transfer of an agent from a reservoir to a host by suspended air particles, inanimate objects, or animate intermediaries?

Mode of Transmission

The spectrum of circumstances that set the stage for illness or disease outbreak.

This one is wrong, though. I believe strawberrygirl was looking for indirect transmission - although droplet transmission can be considered either. Sometimes an arbitrary 1-meter rule is used: within 1 meter, droplet transmission can be considered direct (i.e., I sneeze in your mouth); beyond 1 meter it is indirect. Some people make a third category of "airborne" to avoid the issue.

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Infinity Flat » April 2nd, 2013, 10:54 am

Flavorflav wrote:
isaysroar wrote:Nope. Randomized Controlled Trial Study.

What is the severity of disease that the agent causes to host?

Actually, InfinityFlat was not really wrong. It is only an RCT if it is randomized and controlled, and you didn't say that it was. Technically studies that aren't RCTs are called quasi-experiments, but not consitently enough to rely on.
Infinity Flat wrote:
strawberrygirl wrote:What is the transfer of an agent from a reservoir to a host by suspended air particles, inanimate objects, or animate intermediaries?

Mode of Transmission

The spectrum of circumstances that set the stage for illness or disease outbreak.

This one is wrong, though. I believe strawberrygirl was looking for indirect transmission - although droplet transmission can be considered either. Sometimes an arbitrary 1-meter rule is used: within 1 meter, droplet transmission can be considered direct (i.e., I sneeze in your mouth); beyond 1 meter it is indirect. Some people make a third category of "airborne" to avoid the issue.

Flavorflav is very much right here - I didn't actually read strawberrygirl's post very careful. Good points on the droplet transmission, though I'd say that if a test asks you to match it to direct or indirect, I would go with direct, just because that's how it's listed in the training handout / ppt.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

EAtBaNAna
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: October 31st, 2012, 8:55 am
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby EAtBaNAna » April 9th, 2013, 7:39 am

erm...

So i'm just wondering which diseases we have to know for the event. i did a sample tournament and it said "Cyclosporiasis is this type of pathogen: ___." So... is there a specific list of diseases and pathogens that we can use?
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!

User avatar
havenguy
Member
Member
Posts: 456
Joined: March 3rd, 2011, 2:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby havenguy » April 9th, 2013, 5:28 pm

EAtBaNAna wrote:erm...

So i'm just wondering which diseases we have to know for the event. i did a sample tournament and it said "Cyclosporiasis is this type of pathogen: ___." So... is there a specific list of diseases and pathogens that we can use?


I've been asked a lot of diseases, including cyclosporiasis and other weird protozoa like Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. No, there is no comprehensive list.

This would be a good place to start: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/MicrobialDiseasesList2012.pdf
Also, I found this quizlet online a couple of weeks ago: http://quizlet.com/3607793/science-olympiad-disease-detectives-disease-identification-quiz-flash-cards/
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

isaysroar
Member
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 6:22 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby isaysroar » April 10th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Hey so I was wondering...Which diseases are most common on Science Olympiad Competition tests?
2013
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

EAtBaNAna
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: October 31st, 2012, 8:55 am
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby EAtBaNAna » April 10th, 2013, 5:27 pm

I think that it would most commonly be something associated with food poisoning (salmonella, E. coli, etc.) but since 2013 emphasis is environmental quality we might have some airborne or waterborne diseases.
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!

Flavorflav
Member
Member
Posts: 1335
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 7:06 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Flavorflav » April 11th, 2013, 6:33 am

EAtBaNAna wrote:erm...

So i'm just wondering which diseases we have to know for the event. i did a sample tournament and it said "Cyclosporiasis is this type of pathogen: ___." So... is there a specific list of diseases and pathogens that we can use?

Not a great question. Cyclosporiasis is the disease; the pathogen is Cyclospora.

isaysroar
Member
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 6:22 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby isaysroar » April 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm

After the competition I had this one question about meningitis and had know idea what it was., I didn't know the symptoms, what it affected or anything. Try to write down diseases that you have no idea what are on your information sheets so that you can research it later. With this method we learned from the invite and placed 4th at Regionals.
2013
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

User avatar
piimasta314
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: March 22nd, 2013, 5:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Earth...I think.
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby piimasta314 » April 15th, 2013, 6:58 pm

isaysroar wrote:Hey so I was wondering...Which diseases are most common on Science Olympiad Competition tests?


On soinc.org there's all these resources so you can try checking those out first. You should focus on the main subject (environmental quality), but really, they might ask just anything.
The random ones you just have to know, so just read up on those as much as you can. Also learn a bit of vocab so if you have no idea what they're talking about you can make a good guess and hopefully score partial credit. Like "meningitis" - "itis" means "inflammation of", so "meningitis" is "inflammation of the meninges." That's when a good knowledge of anatomy/bio comes in handy. (I just used this example because it was brought up on this page.)
Worst excuse for not turning in homework: "I couldn't find anyone to copy it from."


Return to “2013 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron