Disease Detectives B/C

strawberrygirl
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby strawberrygirl » November 18th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Would a case study be similar to a case-control study? It was on our invitational test and we were kinda confused because some of the answers were clearly case-control, but it wasn't an option...

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » November 18th, 2012, 6:22 pm

No. A case study is a study of a single case - i.e., one patient. They are usually only done on extremely interesting or unusual patients, and are only of use in epidemiology in the aggregate and for poorly understood conditions. What did you see on your test?

ptkid
State: TX

Postby ptkid » November 18th, 2012, 7:20 pm

No. A case study is a study of a single case - i.e., one patient. They are usually only done on extremely interesting or unusual patients, and are only of use in epidemiology in the aggregate and for poorly understood conditions. What did you see on your test?
That's what we told the proctor, but he told us that they'll be considered the same thing in this test. The answer choices were: Double Blind, Cohort, Case Study, and Cross Sectional. On the answer key the said odds ratio was cohort. I'm positive that the answer to that was case control and that wasn't a choice. There some other blatant mistakes as well. (I'm their partner)
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

Flavorflav
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » November 21st, 2012, 9:30 am

While I am not entirely clear what the original question was from your comments, it sounds like you are right and the answer key was wrong. Cohort studies use risk ratio or rate ratio, both generally called relative risk. Odds rataio is appropriate for case-control studies and sometimes ecological analyses.

deezee
State: IL

Postby deezee » November 29th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I thought a case study was simply a broad term that encompasses cohort, case control, cross-sectional, etc.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

MaddieEinstein
Division: B
State: OH

Postby MaddieEinstein » December 11th, 2012, 7:56 am

I went on to soinc.org and I was dismayed at the terrible search engine. Is there any specific suggestions you guys have to type into the search engine because I found nothing.
"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect."

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » December 11th, 2012, 9:43 am

What were you trying to find? I typed in "Disease Detectives" and stuff came up. If you're looking for more specific things relating to the rules, then you should either use the links soinc lists, or just use Google and find what you need.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » December 11th, 2012, 11:21 am

I went on to soinc.org and I was dismayed at the terrible search engine. Is there any specific suggestions you guys have to type into the search engine because I found nothing.
Event Info-->Division B Events-->Disease Detectives

I've been doing this for years and never even really realized the National site HAD a search bar. Anyways, the page is populated with links, and the PowerPoint there should prove helpful to you as a start. For more information, Wikipedia is an appropriate resource as well as past tests to get an idea what they look like (try the Test Exchange on this site). If you have specific questions, the posters here can help you.

Cedavis6

Postby Cedavis6 » December 13th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I would like to organize a Wiki help day for this event in two weeks. If you are interested, please PM me, and I'll try to find you a job.

Cedavis6

Postby Cedavis6 » December 21st, 2012, 1:10 pm

Sorry for double posting, but I've decided to cancel the Wiki help day. Still feel free to edit the Wiki, though!

Return to “2013 Study Events”