Disease Detectives B/C

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Kokonilly » January 8th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Hey guys! I'm about to start writing a test for B division Disease Detectives and I was wondering if any B divisioners (not in the Bay Area ;) ) had any input or advice regarding what they want to see in a test. I'm going to look at old tests; I just want some input from current students too. PM me with any suggestions. Thanks!

Cedavis6

Postby Cedavis6 » January 10th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Can we have a Disease Detectives question marathon? I like what's being done with the other question marathons, and I think it'll help us study, in addition to having the test exchange.
EDIT: Also, may I ask what it is like to do this event in stations? I have an idea, but I want to know what to expect.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 10th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Well... what questions would you be asking? The other ones are either mainly identification or, in the case of Fermi, a bunch of short questions that have the same format. I'm not sure how exactly you're thinking of implementing that for Disease, but if you can give reasoning for it than I'd be more than willing to create it.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

havenguy
State: PA

Postby havenguy » January 11th, 2013, 5:22 pm

EDIT: Also, may I ask what it is like to do this event in stations? I have an idea, but I want to know what to expect.
Very...stressful. I took one the other day, and it was split up into a station for vocab, several stations on different outbreaks, and a line listing that asked questions like what gender had a higher risk for a certain condition or something. It was hard to finish it in time.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

MrX
State: MD

Postby MrX » January 13th, 2013, 1:17 pm

If anyone have any question about the Disease Detectives test from Conestoga. please do pm me.
Walter Johnson HS '12

havenguy
State: PA

Postby havenguy » January 20th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Now that we're in the middle of Invitational Season, I have one question: How much focus have you seen on Environmental Quality as a pose to the focus on Food-borne illness last year? Are there a lot of specific questions that have to do with with EQ, or are there more general questions about epidemiology as a whole?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » January 20th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Now that we're in the middle of Invitational Season, I have one question: How much focus have you seen on Environmental Quality as a pose to the focus on Food-borne illness last year? Are there a lot of specific questions that have to do with with EQ, or are there more general questions about epidemiology as a whole?
I have seen no questions specific to Environmental Quality. My perception is that the Disease Detective focus topics don't matter anywhere except nationals, unless you have a particularly astute event supervisor at a lower level of competition. Heck, at yesterday's invitational, all of the scenarios were food-borne, which is what you'd have expected with last year's topic.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Starapollo1
State: IN

Postby Starapollo1 » January 21st, 2013, 12:01 pm

Do you guys want to do a question marathon? I have written multiple tests for different invitationals and would be willing to give some questions.
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

rkoopma2
Division: C
State: MI

Postby rkoopma2 » January 21st, 2013, 4:50 pm

I have seen no questions specific to Environmental Quality. My perception is that the Disease Detective focus topics don't matter anywhere except nationals, unless you have a particularly astute event supervisor at a lower level of competition. Heck, at yesterday's invitational, all of the scenarios were food-borne, which is what you'd have expected with last year's topic.
I was wondering that to, because a few years ago when the topic was population growth the most of the scenarios also seemed to be more on food-borne illness.
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Lady Epidemic
Division: B
State: OH

Postby Lady Epidemic » January 22nd, 2013, 4:10 am

It depends on the test writer - one test I took had a lot of questions on it, particularly in the multiple choice section at the end - listing symptoms and asking you to identify which went with lead poisoning, that sort of thing. However, I also just took a test that asked for a lot of (foodbourne) disease info from last year. All have had basic epidemiology questions. If your cheat sheet can fit it, I'd reccomend having information on it for EQ and last year's foodbourne illnesses.
"The stars are beautiful because of a flower that cannot be seen." ='( -Le Petite Prince
Wright State/Magsig/Piqua Regionals/Ohio State
Disease Detectives - 3/3/2/1
Mousetrap -/-/1/9
Dynamic -/-/3/6
WIDI -/-/-/4

Return to “2013 Study Events”