Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by Skink »

Dunno if this helps, but I did a quick search. I know there is an exhaustive but clear explanation (at least one ;) ) of Bowen's out there that I've used as a reference before, but I don't have a clue where I got it. So...

Here you have a simple treatment of the igneous rock groups formed including a figure that may help. Scroll down to section B here for a little more information. Lastly, the first few slides in this lecture may be helpful. Ignore the thermo garbage in the end...slide 5 is the one I want to direct your attention to.
That help?

EDIT: Did some digging through my stuff and found this. You want page 10 (or Ctrl+F to Bowen's). I think points 10 and 11 are relevant to what you're after, though the rest is all good, of course.
wufactor2012
Division: Grad
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by wufactor2012 »

Does anyone know any varieties of kaolinite or hornblende?
hexagonaria
State: OH

Post by hexagonaria »

Has anyone ever had a question about Brinell hardness before? As opposed to the traditional Moh's hardness scale.
DFTBA
10manwire

Post by 10manwire »

I have not and I doubt it will ever be asked because "the conditions of the test used to obtain the number must be specified" and that would create some variance and ultimately be harder to grade for the proctor.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~ Mother Teresa
darkdeserthighway
State: NY

Post by darkdeserthighway »

Has anyone ever had a question that asked where specific rocks or minerals could be found in the world? Just wondering in case I should know.
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
melissay63
Division: B
State: CA

Post by melissay63 »

wufactor2012 wrote:Does anyone know any varieties of kaolinite or hornblende?
Hornblende is a variety of amphibole and amphibole is a family that's just not on our list
i assumed kaolinite doesn't have any varieties, if you count clay?
So far...medaling has been a rollercoaster
but hopefully, next one would be on top!
Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

darkdeserthighway wrote:Has anyone ever had a question that asked where specific rocks or minerals could be found in the world? Just wondering in case I should know.
Not in that exact wording, no. Mainly, I think, because there are many places to find minerals, and many minerals can be found in multiple locations. However, there was a question once about where a mineral was found in the US, so yes. I think the locations would be a given to have in your binder.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
10manwire

Post by 10manwire »

Allinea wrote:
darkdeserthighway wrote:Has anyone ever had a question that asked where specific rocks or minerals could be found in the world? Just wondering in case I should know.
Not in that exact wording, no. Mainly, I think, because there are many places to find minerals, and many minerals can be found in multiple locations. However, there was a question once about where a mineral was found in the US, so yes. I think the locations would be a given to have in your binder.
I agree with Allinea, as I have had questions about which countries that produce a certain minerals in the highest quantities as well as famous localities for certain rocks.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~ Mother Teresa
darkdeserthighway

Post by darkdeserthighway »

10manwire wrote:
Allinea wrote:
I agree with Allinea, as I have had questions about which countries that produce a certain minerals in the highest quantities as well as famous localities for certain rocks.
Alright, thank you both for your advice! :D
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
JuiceBagel3

Post by JuiceBagel3 »

When identifying mineral samples with multiple minerals in each sample, or just idenifying single minerals in general, what do you guys look for first? Because we all know color is not reliable.
Columbia High School
Events: Water Quality, Glaciers, Rocks and Minerals, Forestry

Return to “2013 Study Events”