gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by gneissisnice »

Luo wrote:Yeah, I don't think it was appropriate for a nationals test to be 1/3-1/2 straight-up identification like it was this year. Last year, identification was implicit instead of explicit, and I think that was a much better gauge of teams' in-depth knowledge and preparation than this year's trivia speed-fest. We actually filed an appeal about the supervisor including samples not on the official list without advance notice, because that is a direct violation of rule 3e. I'm not sure whether the appeal was accepted though.

Yeah, that's a pretty blatant violation.

Did you actually have to identify them, or did you just have to note the crystal structure/habit, hardness, density, etc.? Because if you don't have to identify them, it's fine, but if you're asked to ID something not on the list, that's complete bs.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

gneissisnice wrote:
Luo wrote:Yeah, I don't think it was appropriate for a nationals test to be 1/3-1/2 straight-up identification like it was this year. Last year, identification was implicit instead of explicit, and I think that was a much better gauge of teams' in-depth knowledge and preparation than this year's trivia speed-fest. We actually filed an appeal about the supervisor including samples not on the official list without advance notice, because that is a direct violation of rule 3e. I'm not sure whether the appeal was accepted though.
Yeah, that's a pretty blatant violation.

Did you actually have to identify them, or did you just have to note the crystal structure/habit, hardness, density, etc.? Because if you don't have to identify them, it's fine, but if you're asked to ID something not on the list, that's complete bs.
We had to identify them and state what element they were ores of. The only one we successfully identified was cinnabar (ore of mercury).
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
iYOA
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by iYOA »

yeah we only got cinnabar.

for stibnite, i think they hinted that it wasnt on the list. otherwise, if we couldnt identify it, we just assumed it was a more obscure variation of something that was on the list.

There was also kyanite which might have appeared multiple times. Once they asked for its chemical formula.

I really want to know what the scores were...
Last edited by iYOA on May 20th, 2013, 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

iYOA wrote:yeah we only got cinnabar.

for stibnite, i think they hinted that it wasnt on the list. otherwise, if we couldnt identify it, we just assumed it was a more obscure variation of something that was on the list.

There was also kyanite which might have appeared multiple times. Once they asked for its chemical formula.
Interesting. In hindsight the antimony one was probably stibnite. We didn't write kyanite as the answer to any question.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
iYOA

Post by iYOA »

yeah when it finished, the supervisor mentioned that cinnabar and kyanite were two that were not on the list but on the test and stibnite looks like it was the antimony ore.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

iYOA wrote:yeah when it finished, the supervisor mentioned that cinnabar and kyanite were two that were not on the list but on the test and stibnite looks like it was the antimony ore.
Someone told me that one of the samples was turquoise, not sure of the veracity of that rumor.
iYOA

Post by iYOA »

shoot... we put amazonite for that
although there was something off about that sample
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

iYOA wrote:shoot... we put amazonite for that
although there was something off about that sample
I think we put malachite... not sure if we're referring to the same thing, though
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

Yeah, turquoise is pretty distinct, but only if you actually have seen it before, you shouldn't be expected to know it at all.

Definitely not cool.

I'm seriously gonna see if I can write the Rocks and Minerals event for next year at Nationals (either division would be good), I've been hearing too many horror stories of bad events and I really really wanna go to Orlando next year, haha. Anyone have any idea how to go about that?
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

gneissisnice wrote: I'm seriously gonna see if I can write the Rocks and Minerals event for next year at Nationals (either division would be good), I've been hearing too many horror stories of bad events and I really really wanna go to Orlando next year, haha. Anyone have any idea how to go about that?
Seems like this is a good time to repeat the advice I regularly give out to graduating seniors who ask how they can get involved at the national level of SO:

The first thing to do is to contact your state SO director and volunteer to help out (http://soinc.org/state_directors_list). You can also volunteer to help at the national tournament each year by going to the national tournament website (it changes each year.. check soinc.org). Once you've helped out for a couple years you'll end up meeting various people on the committee and hopefully will be invited back to help out some more. At some point you just kind of get invited to the rules meetings. It's all about networking and continuing to volunteer and making your presence known.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2013 Study Events”