darkdeserthighway
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by darkdeserthighway »

Skink wrote:
JuiceBagel3 wrote:Edit: Also I was wondering what the numbers like this, {0001} etc..., mean with cleavage. Example:
Augite
Cleavage: Distinct/Good
Good on {110}

I've been searching high and low for what those numbers mean! Thank you guys!
I think they're Miller indices. Lord help you. If you really want an explanation, I could try...
darkdeserthighway wrote:I don't have a partner for regionals, any suggestions for binder content and organization? Thanks in advance
First and foremost, if you have a full team, I'd find a partner. These events are designed for pairs. And since this event allows your binder along with a published resource, it really is to your benefit to have one resource per person for efficiency.

Re: binder content, my approach (and there are probably many variations of this among the other frequenters of the board) is to have note pages dedicated to topics that you usually find in the front of field guides like classes, crystal systems, Bowen's, Moh's and so forth. Ideally, these are resources you made yourself. You could print off an encyclopedia's volume of material off the Internet, but I don't believe that is as useful for you unless you are really organized. I mean, who reads all of that while under a time constraint?
After that, I would type up a page of information for every testable sample on the Official List synthesizing whatever resources you have, both print and electronic. No single resource is complete and organized for the event at the same time, so making your own note pages is the best approach (plus, you learn a ton as you do it)! Include pictures of variations, and, if it helps you, include pictures of visually similar specimens to help you avoid thinking 'Well, it looks like sulfur, but it isn't...what were the other yellow ones?' I order mine in the order of the Official List. And then all the small things I won't spoonfeed you...
Okay, I'll try to find a partner, thanks skink!
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
JuiceBagel3
Division: C

Post by JuiceBagel3 »

Skink wrote:I think they're Miller indices. Lord help you. If you really want an explanation, I could try...
You know, I think I'm going to pass. Hahaha thank you though!
Columbia High School
Events: Water Quality, Glaciers, Rocks and Minerals, Forestry
darkdeserthighway

Hi, I was wondering about what type of rotation this event is on. (2 year, 3 year, etc.)
Paleofreakazoid
State: CA

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

I believe it is a three year rotation with Fossils. Of course, things could always change.
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
darkdeserthighway

Okay, thank you
sofossils
State: PA

Post by sofossils »

Does anyone know how to tell apart Malachite, Olivine, and Epidote when in massive and unpolished form?
Assistant Coach of AHSO
Yale University '21
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Hi! Remember me?
I was just looking through the wiki and I saw that it has Opal and Quartz as Oxides. However, the Simon and Schuster guide, the Internet (i.e. Wikipedia), and my memory say that they are actually Silicates. I changed it on the wiki, but I figured I'd ask if it was a mistake or if they were reclassified or something. I just want to make sure that it's accurate.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
aim4me26
State: CA

Post by aim4me26 »

paleonaps wrote:Hi! Remember me?
I was just looking through the wiki and I saw that it has Opal and Quartz as Oxides. However, the Simon and Schuster guide, the Internet (i.e. Wikipedia), and my memory say that they are actually Silicates. I changed it on the wiki, but I figured I'd ask if it was a mistake or if they were reclassified or something. I just want to make sure that it's accurate.
Lol, hi Naps. And yeah, I think you're right.
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance
allisonc524
State: NM

Post by allisonc524 »

So, I've got state tomorrow, and was just told today that I'm on rocks and minerals. What can I study in that short amount of time? No one expects me to do well, but I'm hoping I might surprise my team...
Events:
Forensics: Invitationals: 4th State: 1st
Forestry: Invitationals: 4th State: (unable to compete) My partner made 7th though!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Maybe either...

1. Try to learn to identify by sight a few obscure minerals your partner may not know e.g. kaolinite, sphalerite...

2. Try to make sense of Bowen's reaction series and Moh's hardness scale. These are effectively reading charts, so you could try to quickly get really familiar with these and ignore sample ID, which your partner should be well prepared for at this point. You could throw in crystal systems if you wanted to, but that's less important in a time crunch.
paleonaps wrote:Hi! Remember me?
Look at the chemical formulas. Quartz is easy, SiO2, and, looking up opal, it's derived from that. The silicate Wiki page says silicates are SiO4 tetrahedra and that, for that reason, SiO2 is sometimes classified as a silicate. Calling it an oxide will never completely be wrong because it IS an oxide. Whether grouping it as 'silicate' is more correct or not, well, the jury's still out, it seems.

Return to “2013 Study Events”